Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange residue on car

Options
  • 22-06-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Very random question - have any other car owners in Charlesland (Grove or otherwise) noticed a strange glue-like residue all over their car? It feels like glue, almost as if it was in the rain or something was sprayed nearby and the wind carried? It's only been noticeable in the last couple of months and is quite sticky to the touch. Serious answers only please.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Are you parking under a tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tree sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Not directly under a tree no - but there is a tree at the end of my neighbours drive which is about 3m away. I did wonder if it was resin from there but its so evenly all over the car (on the side near the tree and the other side aswell) that I didnt think that could be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eleMental wrote: »
    Not directly under a tree no - but there is a tree at the end of my neighbours drive which is about 3m away. I did wonder if it was resin from there but its so evenly all over the car (on the side near the tree and the other side aswell) that I didnt think that could be it.
    If the tree has an aphid infestation this results in sap driping from the leaves and it can get carried in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

eleMental wrote: »
    Very random question - have any other car owners in Charlesland (Grove or otherwise) noticed a strange glue-like residue all over their car? It feels like glue, almost as if it was in the rain or something was sprayed nearby and the wind carried? It's only been noticeable in the last couple of months and is quite sticky to the touch. Serious answers only please.:)

The birch trees on the green in the wood do the same thing, the sap/pollen dries on the car and if not washed off it turns sticky and black over time. Total pain to remove it. Autoglym tar remover, t-cut then wax will sort it but it's a pig of a job on a large family car. If the residue looks like tiny black spots then that's the culprit

• Advertisement
Advertisement