Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease with landlord or with housemate?

Options
  • 22-06-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Moved into a house at the start of May that already had some another tennant living there. I knew her from college and the moving in was done through her, she said the landlord was ok with this. She told me her original lease was up at the beginning of June and that she has tried to contact the landlord for a renewal (with my name added to it), but he hasn't responded to her messages/calls yet. So I have been there for nearly two months with no lease, while she has been there for a few weeks without renewal.
    She has now suggested that she signs a lease by herself (whenever the landlord gets back), and I sublet off her (according to some agreement we write up now, so I have some in writing now).

But I am thinking that until she renews her lease, a sublet from her is meaningless so there is no benefit to me doing that short term. Am I right?

Assumsing she does get a lease with the landlord no problem, is there any long term advantages/disadvantages to subletting rather than getting my name on the original lease?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement