Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I love the smell of acetone in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got a new batch of ABS printing material from Ultimaker the other day. Really impressed with how its reacting to the acetone vapour treatment.
    It's not gonna be suitable for every print of course, but for the ones it is it's great(plus it adds a lot of strength to the parts).

VcHtICx.jpgZBgIy3R.jpg

dmGiDgz.jpgASoyr8O.jpg

Darth Vader Budda FTW

eddhorse wrote: »
    Darth Vader Budda FTW

Yeah I really like that one myself. Although I just finished a Skyrim Dawnguard Vampire Lord print and think that might be my favourite(depending on how the acetone bath goes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lol at the far right

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Lol at the far right

Female torso is a great test for the print and acetone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Female torso is a great test for the print and acetone :)

Sure Steve, we believe you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Might be the angle but one boob looks bigger than the other..

Might be the angle but one boob looks bigger than the other..

On the female torso, or Darth Buddha? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Na na na na na na na na owlman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any decent files for Judge Dredd badges around?

I've been wanting to make a 'Judge Fish' badge for my goldfish for a few years. :D

2683005-img_0157.png

There are a few Dredd badges knocking around. Most are based off the recent movie and not the comics.

This one seems decent over on Thingiverse.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:114711

r6RFk40.jpg

Z99ABUY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

It looks Dreddful.......

Steve can you print me a 3D Printed Coat so I can get it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

When I saw the owl I couldn't help but think of Psygnosis and had a quick search...
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:955664

erkifino wrote: »
    When I saw the owl I couldn't help but think of Psygnosis and had a quick search...
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:955664

Yeah, I've printed off a few designs from that guy.
    Models are very fragile, but some are actually decent enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Slowly working my way through all my favourite sci-fi movies and shows and printing something from each.

grebo6z.jpg

Wormhole Xtreme FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I was setting up a RetroPi installation today for a friend. Decided to sort them out with a retro style case as well :)

The colours are all wrong, but i didn't have time to paint it and just used the best matching plastic colours i had.
    4 hour print on this for the top, bottom and lid, so not bad, but it is very low resolution and rough looking.

izr4Vmf.jpg

ReM9ai1.jpg

OjGPoaq.jpg
    Hey Steve, just wondering how much you'd charge to print one of these?

Thanks.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Hey Steve, just wondering how much you'd charge to print one of these?

Thanks.

I think the mods won’t be happy if we discuss sales here. I have the retro 3d print service up in the marketplace, but not sure if this falls under retro(it’s a retro style case, but for a non retro system).
    I’m in work at the moment but will check the files later and see what the costs/time are on my 3dhubs account(I have all my material/time/setup costs added in to that). It would depend on the resolution you wanted printed up as well. 250 microns is cheapest as it uses the same amount of material(more or less) but prints a lot faster than 100 microns, so the printer is freed up quicker.

I can’t advertise my 3dhubs account here, but it’s easy to find me(and other people if they’re cheaper) if you want to check prices automagically using their fancy online tool thingamabob.

I think you should throw a link to your 3Dhubs account in your sig, that definitely wouldn't be breaking the rules, and you wouldn't have to even mention it on thread.

Doge wrote: »
    I think you should throw a link to your 3Dhubs account in your sig, that definitely wouldn't be breaking the rules, and you wouldn't have to even mention it on thread.

Ah it's ok. It's not a money maker this 3D printing at all. It's more to offer the service to locals and just cover your costs. Like I printed up something for a guy last week on 3D hubs, think he paid about 50 euro for everything. If you add up the print time for all the parts and material it's really not worth doing it just for the money.
    And of course 3D Hubs take there fee as well.

• Advertisement

Just priced that print.
    You are talking about 25-45 euro on 3Dhubs printed at 100 micron resolution(so not super cheap). Not many locals doing the 100 micron res, but a few of us are.

I've attached the stl file so you can shop around.

Tried Steve's Turbo Everdrive cover on my V1.1 Everdrive and its a perfect fit. The LED is covered but clearly visible thru the plastic so job well done :)

Tried Steve's Turbo Everdrive cover on my V1.1 Everdrive and its a perfect fit. The LED is covered but clearly visible thru the plastic so job well done :)

Sweet, I was wondering about the 1.1 board. So your 1.1 is without the USB connection? I’m guessing if the USB was present it wouldn’t fit?
    Now I just need to work on the protective case for the everdrive and get that just right(I want a nice friction fit) and we’ll have a nice pikey deluxe edition Turbo Everdrive shell and case for those that want it, free of charge(as long as I don’t get 500 orders :))

And just to be completely transparent, I used someone else’s design for the base of this model and just made some fine adjustments and cleaned up the model file as it had errors.

Ya the USB port would block it alright, the USB was an extra cost at the time and really for developer use only so I doubt that many opted for it.

Its definitely a good friction fit, needs a solid squeeze to install correctly so no chance of it dropping off.

Ya the USB port would block it alright, the USB was an extra cost at the time and really for developer use only so I doubt that many opted for it.

Its definitely a good friction fit, needs a solid squeeze to install correctly so no chance of it dropping off.

Yeah, it’s the case rather than the shell that I’m having issue with in regards to the friction fit. I’ve got 2 Turbo Everdrive v1.2 boards myself(surprise surprise) and the PCB isn’t the exact same size on them, so they don’t slide into the case and click the same.

The case is just a simple HUcard holder, but I can print it in the same material and colour as the shell so they match up without painting. So I really want to get that right as well as the shell(i'm fussy about stuff matching up).

A few recent retro(ish) 3d prints.
    I dunno why, but i really like the N64 "N" and think I'll do a massive full size version(in a different colour) :)

8c1KggV.jpg

Had a go at a large Imperial shuttle with moving parts. I'm not normally a fan of prints that include moving parts in the one model file, as it can be hit or miss how well they turn out.
    But this worked well and everything that should move, does :)

Bit of minor sanding and it'll be ready for a coat of paint.

ZPtFnv5.jpgPEk8Pii.jpg

25JuPSL.jpg

Thats deadly

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thats deadly

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with it I must say :)
    I've a few Star Wars things to print over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with it I must say :)
    I've a few Star Wars things to print over the next few weeks.

Setting up a stall in Moore Street for the Xmas ? :D

Setting up a stall in Moore Street outside Cineworld for the Xmas ? :D

FYP, could be more lucrative, cash in on the fans!

Currently have a very nice model of the Millennium Falcon printing at home(in my new favourite test colour, Traffic Light Red).

I do find it funny how some people on Thingiverse are trying to get around automatic copyright take downs with how they name their models.
    This one is the “Fillennium Malcon”, and the Imperial Shuttle is “Mars Bars Scuttle” :)

Do they have any models of the EWE ESS ESS Genterprise up there? :P

Full size Firefly perhaps ?

I have a very nice model of that. But, it's so complex it would be a nightmare to print without a load of supports attached. And with the shape of the ship you really want it to come out as clean as possible.

Now, I'll have another 3D printer pretty soon, a resin based SLA one(Formlabs Form 2). This should allow a better print for models with small and/or complex areas, but the build area is tiny compared to my Ultimaker 2 Extended(145×145×175mm vs 230x225x305mm).
    So the detail from the resin printer would be fantastic, but the size will never impress.

• Advertisement

I have a very nice model of that. But, it's so complex it would be a nightmare to print without a load of supports attached. And with the shape of the ship you really want it to come out as clean as possible.

Now, I'll have another 3D printer pretty soon, a resin based SLA one(Formlabs Form 2). This should allow a better print for models with small and/or complex areas, but the build area is tiny compared to my Ultimaker 2 Extended(145×145×175mm vs 230x225x305mm).
    So the detail from the resin printer would be fantastic, but the size will never impress.
    I was always told that size doesn't matter...

:-/

MrVestek wrote: »
    I was always told that size doesn't matter...

:-/

It was very nice of her to say that to you :D

My “Fillennium Malcon” is complete :) Bit of post processing required, but not a lot.
    Now, to print max size or not??

CJbCnm9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

That is brilliant!

I wouldn't be able to hold off maxing that out ... go BIG or go HOME :)

Star Wars month is in full swing :)
    I'm just waiting on some new tasty Colorfabb ngen printing material before I go for the full size Falcon in white.

MaORjQr.jpg

• Advertisement

3D printing is a slow process, sometimes you setup your print, walk away and come back 10 hours later to this:

F6QxE7i.jpg

But never give up, its just a tweak away from getting it right :)

vWzJKrp.jpg

By the way folks, I'm looking to give away a load of these 3D prints. Get on to your local mods to give me the go ahead :):):):)

3D printing is a slow process, sometimes you setup your print, walk away and come back 10 hours later to this:

F6QxE7i.jpg

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.

It's like the Ultimaker just said "era f*ck it, I'll scribble in the rest!"

How the hell did that happen though?

Was the nozzle moving the print around the place or something?

F6QxE7i.jpg

aabf15_grill.jpg

:)

By the way folks, I'm looking to give away a load of these 3D prints. Get on to your local mods to give me the go ahead :):):):)

Freebie thread in the marketplace with conditions? (so no 1 person grabs all the cool ones!)

Doge wrote: »
    That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.

It's like the Ultimaker just said "era f*ck it, I'll scribble in the rest!"

How the hell did that happen though?

Was the nozzle moving the print around the place or something?

I think the nozzle clipped a leg and that started a domino effect that knocked the whole print off.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Freebie thread in the marketplace with conditions? (so no 1 person grabs all the cool ones!)

I was thinking some online raffle or something. Will see how it goes with the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is this thread just for Retro stuff Steve? Do you have other projects going elsewhere? Im damn tempted to get into this now but just like VR Im always telling myself to give it another year and another year.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is this thread just for Retro stuff Steve? Do you have other projects going elsewhere? Im damn tempted to get into this now but just like VR Im always telling myself to give it another year and another year.

I'm trying to keep it retro related, but failing a lot of the time :)
    What other types of projects do you mean? 3D printing?

I'm certainly printing a lot more than what is shown on this thread, and giving a lot of the stuff away as there are only so many models of owls and batman a person can have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh sorry I meant do you have a thread anywhere else discussing maintenance/costs/abilities of the device etc?

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh sorry I meant do you have a thread anywhere else discussing maintenance/costs/abilities of the device etc?
    Ah I see. No I dont have a thread anywhere else.

I've been meaning to stick up a thread/info dump over on my retrovia.ie site. But haven't got around to it just yet.

Time for a break from Star Wars, the GF has insisted I print Xmas stuff for a while :0/
    But I snuck in a Pink Vader before that :)

7fGriaw.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement