Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure we could come to a trade arrangement of some sort. I print you two, you paint one for me etc.

But this isn't the place for such discussions :)

*Steve invites Ciderman to his office*

mBwW4d1.jpg
    MFAGzAT.jpg
    rLxLdID.jpg
    VYq28sD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Steve this is neither arcade nor is it retro but how much would you 3D print this for me for?

https://www.shapetizer.com/design/100080903601226451.html

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

MrVestek wrote: »
    Steve this is neither arcade nor is it retro but how much would you 3D print this for me for?

https://www.shapetizer.com/design/100080903601226451.html

Thanks!

I'd need the STL or OBJ file before being able to say. Plus I wont be printing for at least a week while I move house and get setup.

eddhorse wrote: »

Did a quick print of this last night on low quality settings. It actually looks really nice but because it's so flat and square it's got a habit of warping a bit(slight bend in it). I fixed it with a heat gun and heavy book :)

I'll do a high quality print when everything is unpacked in the new house and stick up a few pics for those that might want one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did a quick print of this last night on low quality settings. It actually looks really nice but because it's so flat and square it's got a habit of warping a bit(slight bend in it). I fixed it with a heat gun and heavy book :)

I'll do a high quality print when everything is unpacked in the new house and stick up a few pics for those that might want one.

Well, I'll have a crack at painting one or two, what size are they?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I'll have a crack at painting one or two, what size are they?

I don't have the dimensions here, but the default size is a bit bigger than a standard bathroom tile. But it's a 3D file so increasing the size isn't a problem, it'll just take longer to print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I don't have the dimensions here, but the default size is a bit bigger than a standard bathroom tile. But it's a 3D file so increasing the size isn't a problem, it'll just take longer to print.

Jesus, don't mention floor tiles, its a sensitive topic! :D

Getting the printer's setup in the new house so decided to give this one a proper high resolution go.
    Just used whatever filament was already loaded, prob best to do this in white or grey material if it's going to be painted.

Edit:

Finished print. Not very happy with it, top layers are not great. Will reprint in a larger size with more top layers and see what I end up with in the morning.

oQWgdLE.jpg

Large print(170%, 12 hour print) next to last night's normal sized one(100%, 2.5 hour print).

PEoWXwf.jpg

Backlit large print.

cblrxD6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »

Yeah, I had the Kickstarter app set to notify once this went live. I got in on the super early backer level, so saved a few quid.
    JxqfbWE.jpg

Seems decent, pity you can only use their filament though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wonder if anyone has made a replacement top cover for a Snes (PAL/SFC) that has a wider cart flap that'll fit US carts, but still has a spring loaded flap. If it looked identical to the current one, just with a wider cart slot & door, it'd be pretty sweet

Myrddin wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone has made a replacement top cover for a Snes (PAL/SFC) that has a wider cart flap that'll fit US carts, but still has a spring loaded flap. If it looked identical to the current one, just with a wider cart slot & door, it'd be pretty sweet

It’d be a fairly big 3D print to do the whole top section. But with the right 3D model getting the cart slot the right size and looking well would be very doable. Not sure on the spring loaded flap, but probably easy enough if you could use some of the original parts.

Would a laser cut original top section and 3D printed flap be a better way to go?

It’d be a fairly big 3D print to do the whole top section. But with the right 3D model getting the cart slot the right size and looking well would be very doable. Not sure on the spring loaded flap, but probably easy enough if you could use some of the original parts.

Would a laser cut original top section and 3D printed flap be a better way to go?

Not the entire top shell now, do you know the dark grey section? That can separate out from the top shell. The problem is though it's curved, so you 'd likely need to laser scan an original, & then modify the cart flap area. The spring loaded flap is pretty simple too, in terms of the existing design...

Not the entire top shell now, do you know the dark grey section? That can separate out from the top shell. The problem is though it's curved, so you 'd likely need to laser scan an original, & then modify the cart flap area. The spring loaded flap is pretty simple too, in terms of the existing design...

Scanning in stuff in 3D never really ends up with an accurate model, unless the scanner is one of those that costs over 100k. I’ve tried so many scanners(home-made, Kinect based and I had a go of a Sense 3D scanner for a weekend) and they all create a fun, but in no way accurate end result.

There must be a model out there of a SNES at this stage.

Edit:
    Hmm, there are a few but I wonder how accurate they are.

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=snes

https://grabcad.com/library?query=SNES

Yea if you scan stuff you really gotta redraw it in solidworks or something.
    Check out the scan to 3d feature on solidworks 2016.

I've used the Fastscan scorpion for work in the past but at the moment using the structure scanner.

Making a few lithograph style prints using some retro artwork and game snapshots.
    With a bit of paint it might look decent.

fK1nDNy.jpg

Wondering how it'd look lit from behind too... could be good!

Wondering how it'd look lit from behind too... could be good!

Well its clear white and flat from behind. But if you shine light through it then it might look well. Will check later.

• Advertisement

Hey Steve, thinking of investing in one of the Fabrikators later in the year, how is yours going? Did the new stepper, and your additions help it at all?

Are there any good quality NES (or any other mini console) cases that are available? Most I've seen online are dire looking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, who is up for printing me a Game and watch battery compartment cover in black???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So, who is up for printing me a Game and watch battery compartment cover in black???

Saw that, nice get.

Yeah, it'll join the rest of my Game and Watches, a happy little crew.
    They don't pop up that often, and certainly not for that price.
    Just hoping that the screen and buttons are fine.
    I have to nip over to Talla-fornia to collect it tomorrow, which is a drag but necessary.
    The Intellivision was a nice get too, nearly jumped on it myself, a rare beastie to see for sale in these parts.

Are there any good quality NES (or any other mini console) cases that are available? Most I've seen online are dire looking...

There are a load of them on thingiverse. Best thing is to search there and read the comments and make sure others have printed the files and confirm all is good.

You get the stl or obj file for it and I could run that up in a few mins.

• Advertisement

Also, I'm hoping that from November or there abouts I can offer a new type of 3d print. Chocolate :)

Scratch the mini console idea...I want a case that accommodates a 2.5" sata drive. I'm surprised at the lack of these on the market actually. How much would it cost to print this Steve - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1357022/#files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nice get there, who would have thought living in Cork would have it's disadvantages? :(:P

Scratch the mini console idea...I want a case that accommodates a 2.5" sata drive. I'm surprised at the lack of these on the market actually. How much would it cost to print this Steve - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1357022/#files

I'll check it out and get back to you.
    Only one person has printed it out, so you are taking a risk. You're always best to go with a model that has lots of comments and previous prints so you can see how it actually looks and also see if anyone flags any issues.

Just an FYI for those that order from me from the marketplace here. I've a new printer in now and can print smaller items in greater detail and functionality. So things like small battery covers and the like look and work a lot better than they did on my older printers.

I've also got a Ultimaker 3 Extended on order(December delivery it seems), which will allow some new possibilities as it has proper dual extruders and can easily use water soluble support structures, which allow crazy detail and fine over hangs without the model falling to pieces during the print. Dual colour prints will also be nice.

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-3

Gyro
    gyro-pva.png

Gyro after a water bath
    spinning-3d-printed-gyro.jpg

• Advertisement

Been looking at some of the NES Raspberry Pi 2b cases, but don't know what constitutes a good one! Any recommendations Steve? Seen a few nice looking ones on thingiverse, but not sure what'd work best!

Been looking at some of the NES Raspberry Pi 2b cases, but don't know what constitutes a good one! Any recommendations Steve? Seen a few nice looking ones on thingiverse, but not sure what'd work best!

It depends really, I’ve kind of gone away from the novelty type cases and now go for as small and functional as possible.
    Your best bet is to do a search on thingiverse and then check out the Comments and Made sections of each model.
    The Made section is good because you can see how other people got on with the print and the Comments section will usually let you know any problems etc.

If there’s no pics in the Made or no comments, avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Are the controls touching the touchscreen points for the emulator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

eddhorse wrote: »
    Are the controls touching the touchscreen points for the emulator?

Looks like it.

Christmas printing time. Going small this year :)

Q5myhDX.jpg

I'm one step closer to 3D printing chocolate and jelly Marios and Links :)

y5NgOoX.jpg

Not retro related but I know we have a few sci fi fans here.
    Decided to have another go at printing a large falcon, took 2 days but it turned out decent enough. 303mm in length, stand is also printed.
    Just need to figure out how to paint and age/battle damage it now :)

exlfj0Y.jpg
    vBNtmIW.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Sorry for asking in here but I'm just wondering is there a group for Irish 3d printers here on boards or anywhere else online. Been printing for a while now and it would be nice to chat to others :)

reklamos wrote: »
    Sorry for asking in here but I'm just wondering is there a group for Irish 3d printers here on boards or anywhere else online. Been printing for a while now and it would be nice to chat to others :)

Not much of a 3D printing scene that I'm aware of in Ireland. There are a few 3DHubs users in Ireland, but i don't know of any actual groups etc.

I did plan on doing a forum or something for Irish users on my 3D print site, but there really didn't seem to be enough people around to make it worthwhile :)

My Irish 3D printing site.
    http://www.thingsin3d.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Not much of a 3D printing scene that I'm aware of in Ireland. There are a few 3DHubs users in Ireland, but i don't know of any actual groups etc.

I did plan on doing a forum or something for Irish users on my 3D print site, but there really didn't seem to be enough people around to make it worthwhile :)

My Irish 3D printing site.
    http://www.thingsin3d.com/

Nice prints.
    I thought there would not be many using 3D printers but as the prices are going down the user base should start increasing.
    Do you know any good filament suppliers apart from Amazon. I mostly print with PLA and PETG.

reklamos wrote: »
    Nice prints.
    I thought there would not be many using 3D printers but as the prices are going down the user base should start increasing.
    Do you know any good filament suppliers apart from Amazon. I mostly print with PLA and PETG.

I generally buy from Colorfabb.com, faberdashery.co.uk and Hobbyking. I'm now working with a 3D printer startup and they also make their own brand of filament, so i get that too. But my current favourite material is Proto-Pasta Aromatic Coffee filament, love the stuff and it smells great :)

Advertisement