Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herding Classes?

• 22-06-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any herding type Classes in Ireland where you train with your dog to herd sheep/chickens/etc.?

I'm wondering because one of my sheepdogs has a high herding drive and I would love to do something with him that could even bring up his confidence as well.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think this is the crowd I have in mind, a lady from the UK set it up when she moved to Ireland and found no resources for owners of Collies... I'm reasonably sure (if this is the same organisation I was told about) that they'll also cater for herding breeds other than Border Collies.
    I think they had been trying to set up a few groups around the country :)

https://www.facebook.com/AmateurSheepDogSocietyIreland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    I think this is the crowd I have in mind, a lady from the UK set it up when she moved to Ireland and found no resources for owners of Collies... I'm reasonably sure (if this is the same organisation I was told about) that they'll also cater for herding breeds other than Border Collies.
    I think they had been trying to set up a few groups around the country :)

https://www.facebook.com/AmateurSheepDogSocietyIreland

Ah brilliant, that's the sort of contact I'm after.

It's a strange one, you think there would be quite the base for it in this country.

Ireland is a long way behind the UK and Europe when it comes to niche-y dog activities... but all it takes is for an enlightened person or two to get the ball rolling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    Ireland is a long way behind the UK and Europe when it comes to niche-y dog activities... but all it takes is for an enlightened person or two to get the ball rolling!

Come to think of it that is so true. :( Just got in contact with the above crowd and they quickly put me in contact with someone over in Wicklow.

I'm such a dork I'm all excited at the idea of actually doing this. :o

Oooohhh... actually, maybe it was the people in Wicklow I was thinking of! I had a vague idea in my head that I'd heard of a group in the south-east-ish, and assumed the people in the link must be them. But now that you say it, I think when I was originally told about them, it was a lady in Wicklow that had set it up!
    Let us know how you get on, won't you?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Watched a farmer up the road hearding sheep with his new collie bitch.
    Such roaring and bawling, and sheep all over the place :D
    Smashing little dog - she is supposed to be an excellent pedigree/sheep dog.
    Its funny to think that a (grown) new dog will have to learn its new owners methods too. Sometimes she looked at him as if to say "huh?!?!"

If you knew a farmer who actively uses his dogs to herd sheep, s/he might be interested in giving your dog a few sessions?
    I know there are little sheepdog trials/sessions in a field near us now and then.

Oh and as a hen keeper, I dont think hens can be herded :P even by a sheepdog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I would be curious to know how you get one with this. I have a border collie. Although her herding instincts don't seem to be very high, I would love to challenge her in new ways and this sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Am I the only one who has "Bah ram ewe" in their head from this thread?! I'd love to hear how you get on too OP! :D

Advertisement