Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-phase domestic supply?

Options
  • 22-06-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,
    My mother in law has recently purchased an apartment. A sparky told her that it has a 3-phase supply, and that the storage heaters inside are hooked up to the 3 phases.
    I know f all about this kind of thing but this seems very strange to me. The meter for the individual apartments do seem to indicate it is 3-phase however - they are marked 'Ac - 3 Ph 4 Wire'. Is this common for apartment blocks?
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

How many storage heaters in the apartment? I think on a single phase supply you would be maxed out with 4 medium sized heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Think there are three. Would that mean that it would be common for apartments with storage heaters to be connected 3 phase?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cliffage wrote: »
    Think there are three. Would that mean that it would be common for apartments with storage heaters to be connected 3 phase?

I would not think so, however it is possible that the apartment has a 3 phase supply.
    Remember single phase loads can be connected to an installation that has a 3 phase supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

It can be done but wouldn't be common. Would be expensive way to heat apartments as opposed to gas. With 3 storage heater there is no need for 3 phase. Are you sure you are looking at the right meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Not sure whether to continue this thread or start another but it's broadly related.

Recently bought a house with 3-phase and 10+ storage heaters. Have removed the heaters and installed gas/rads.

ESB coming out next week to remove the NSH meters (there are 2). Should I also consider changing from 3-phase to single phase? What are we ever going to need 3-phase for - unlikely to install an electric shower and I won't have a toolshed with any 3-phase equipment.

There are currently 4x 24H meters off the 3 phases - wouldn't one meter and one distribution panel be simpler? Note the 3 phases each connect to separate single phase panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yes, just get rid of the lot and ask them to fit a single phase meter.
    They're unlikely to pull back the supply cable so it would probably be easy enough to go back to 3 phase in the unlikely event that it was ever needed. You'll save money on standing charges also as your MIC will be reduced.

Do you have 3 separate distribution boards at present? These will need a supply each obviously if you have loads connected to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I have a single phase domestic connection and want to upgrade to a 3-phase supply? My supply comes through a metal duct from a substation about 30m away. Any idea how much it would cost?

I have a single phase domestic connection and want to upgrade to a 3-phase supply? My supply comes through a metal duct from a substation about 30m away. Any idea how much it would cost?
    I had a quote from ESB networks of just over €600 inc VAT for an upgrade of a single phase connection to 45kVA 3 phase in the last week.

Are you sure you need 3 phase? There is quite an increase in MIC charges associated with it also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

air wrote: »
    I had a quote from ESB networks of just over €600 inc VAT for an upgrade of a single phase connection to 45kVA 3 phase in the last week.

The cost of installing a 3 phase supply can vary considerably depending on the complexity.

I'm well aware of that, i was only trying to be helpful by providing a recent anecdotal cost.
    If there is indeed a substation 30m away from his property, with ducting in place, I would expect his quote to be in a similar ballpark to be honest based on past experience.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that, i was only trying to be helpful by providing a recent anecdotal cost.

It was said for the benefit of the OP.
    If there is indeed a substation 30m away from his property, with ducting in place, I would expect his quote to be in a similar ballpark to be honest based on past experience.

+1

Advertisement