Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Meteor Three UPC Cancellation Rights

Options
  • 22-06-2015 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the above companies have been reprimanded by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission for not properly disclosing cancellation conditions to their customers and will have now have to write to affected customers who will have 14 days to cancel their contracts.

Might be interesting for those looking to get out of contracts like myself.

Links below.

Irish Times Link

The Journal Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think this provides options to cancel existing contracts.

UPC for example were not as bad as the rest, with clear terms and conditions on their website and I believe they were requested to be more clear during their telephone communications. I know as a UPC customer I've been very clear on my cancellation terms for years.

Eircom, not surprisingly, seem to have not told people about their rights etc.

Unsure this provides an actual avenue to exit existing contracts. Can you confirm where you are seeing that? There was someone from that organisation on Newstalk when the report was published who I believe was clear in saying this does not provide an opportunity for customers to exit contracts, unless the companies involved provide such option as a concession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd say the Commission are enforcing Article 16(2) of SI 484/2013. I don't know if the Commission have the authority to reset the clock to cover consumer distance contracts older than 12 months though. If you're not a consumer or you signed-up in store then the regulation doesn't apply.
    Omission of information on right to cancel

16. (1) If the trader does not provide the consumer with the information on the right to cancel the contract required by paragraph (l) of Schedule 2, the cancellation period expires 12 months from the day on which it would have expired under Regulation 15.

(2) If the trader provides the consumer with the information on the right to cancel required by paragraph (l) of Schedule 2 within 12 months of the day on which the cancellation period would have expired under Regulation 15, the cancellation period expires 14 days after the day on which the consumer receives that information.

Advertisement