Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing Irish Passport from Canada

Options
  • 22-06-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone through this process from Canada?
    I'm about to do it and it says it takes up to 13 weeks, just want to see if anyone has experienced it being quicker/longer than that as I need it in 10 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I got it done a little faster, but only because I grew up with a guy who's now a Garda who signed my paperwork for me in Ireland while I was in Canada. I didn't actually mention at any stage during the process that I wasn't in Ireland, and I think it was all done and dusted in a couple of weeks, with the passport mailed over to me via FedEx.

As far as I recall, you can have a doctor, lawyer, Garda or politician sign your paperwork for you to say that you presented yourself to them and you are who you say you are, so on the long-shot that you know someone in one of those positions you should be alright to have everything sorted out in 10 weeks. It's not wholly by the book, but it's also not breaking any rules on your part (but rather on the part of the signatory)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah I was thinking of doing that as well. I can get the express done in 10 days if I can get it signed by someone etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

If you have a family solicitor who knows you then that might be the best way to go about it. It'd be pushing things a little much if they'd never met you personally though I think, since they've to stand over their signature if it comes to it

Advertisement