Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System restore stuck on shutting down - help!!

• 22-06-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭

I just have this laptop a couple of weeks, it's a Toshiba Portege Z30, refurbished, Windows 7. Downloading the first lot of Windows updates it froze during the configuring phase. I had to force shut down and restart in safe mode and it seemed to sort itself out. Then it started to freeze every so often on shutting down. Then it wouldn't perform a system restore even in safe mode. Now I was just trying another system restore and it's stuck at the shutting down phase. It's been like that for over an hour now, the little blue circle is frozen too.

Please help as I don't want to do a forced shut down during system restore and wreck the bloody thing when it is so new! :eek:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

....editing to say I just checked to see if anything was happening and it was still stuck on shutting down, the laptop was roasting hot and the fan going like the clappers so I had to force shutdown. Turning it on in safe mode and it said system restore did not complete successfully, restarted and thought I'd try another system restore and it offered me the option of undoing last system restore. I'm lost!

I bought it from Laptops Direct and they suggest doing a factory reset. Should I do that??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

sudzs wrote: »
    I bought it from Laptops Direct and they suggest doing a factory reset. Should I do that??
    As long as you make a backup of you data, I don't see what you have to lose - you're going to spend more time trying to fix the problem that you woud re-installing whatever programs you have installed after a factory rese. And if you have the same problem after a factory reset, you should get onto laptops direct about a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Bayberry wrote: »
    As long as you make a backup of you data, I don't see what you have to lose - you're going to spend more time trying to fix the problem that you woud re-installing whatever programs you have installed after a factory rese. And if you have the same problem after a factory reset, you should get onto laptops direct about a replacement.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm coming to terms with doing the factory reset, it's a nuisance but like you say, it's probably the easier option and at least if I do it and the problems are gone then great. And if the problems are still there then I can get onto Laptops Direct.

Thanks again! :)

Quick update - I did the factory reset. When downloading Windows updates it did the same thing again, froze at 30% configuration. So I forced shutdown and tried downloading the updates in batches rather than all at once. 1 update failed (update error code 800F0902) so I did that one on its own and it was ok. All the others are now downloaded and so far so good. So it mustn't be a good idea to download Windows updates all at once when there are over 100 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Life would certainly be easier if MS made roll-up updates available, expecially once the numbers get up there!

Okay, after restoring to factory settings/reinstalling Windows, I was still getting some of the same problems. Then I realised I had done it with the mouse usb still plugged in. :o

So just to be sure I removed it and did another reinstall of Windows. Then I downloaded the updates in batches, no problems this time. Now I have it all up and running and everything was going so well until yesterday when it got stuck on shutting down again. I had just installed drivers for a printer so I did a system restore which at least completed successfully this tim. I turned it on this morning and noticed a black screen with this going on...

"Checking file system on C. The type of....."

What is going on with this laptop?? I know it's refurbished but should I be having all these problem with what should really be a new machine?? Is it a software issue or something else?

Another thing is that when I start it in safe mode it says system 32. But it's the 64 bit version I have. Is that something or nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

you said in your op that it was just a few weeks since you got this laptop.
    there is no way i would put up with this,they c have a repair and or replace policy. i would be sending it back to them if i were you.
    r refurbished or not it should be doing what it says on the tin.
    let them fix the problem, nothing you are doing seems to be working.
    and finally if you have done a reinstall and its still doing what you said it could be the mother board giving trouble.
    send it back.

Thanks, I'll get back onto them. They are insisting it's a software problem though and I'l have to pay for any return and/or repair.

Just another thing I forgot to mention, on the last reinstall I happened to look at it and saw a message at one point, 51/57, saying "an application did not install properly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

sudzs wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll get back onto them. They are insisting it's a software problem though and I'l have to pay for any return and/or repair.

Just another thing I forgot to mention, on the last reinstall I happened to look at it and saw a message at one point, 51/57, saying "an application did not install properly"

there are lads in here a lot more versed in laptops than me.I'd need to have it in front of me.
    BUT if this is giving trouble since you got it and it's still within the replace or repair time frame i would be insisting to them that they do something about it.
    and even if it is a software problem shouldn't they help you fix it?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and even if it is a software problem shouldn't they help you fix it?

You would think so but they said if it's a software problem then I'd have to pay to return it and get it fixed which is ridiculous because if there is a fault with the software it's the software that came installed. I've no cd, I reinstalled from the partition.

I've dropped it into my local computer repair shop and they are going to do a diagnostics on it so at least I'll know what is actually wrong with it.

Thanks for the replies! I'll let you know what the story is with it.

Advertisement