Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in London for the first time

Options
  • 22-06-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

I've read the "Moving to London FAQ", which is immensely helpful, and have a few questions about renting in the city. I have a job lined up for September and hope to make the move as smooth as possible.

I've checked on many sites like Spare Room and Right Move. A lot of ads talk about agency fees and references/backchecks. Could somebody explain these to me please? I've never rented in the UK before and essentially my situation in Ireland is a sub-let so I'm not sure about being able to provide a reference. The agency fees seem to vary wildly too... :confused:

Secondly, how should I go about actually securing a flat!? I don't mind beginning the contract a 4-6 weeks before starting work (i.e. starting a contract in August). I was thinking of booking into an AirBnB for a week or two and using that time to view places. What do you think? I presume that securing somewhere to live in London without actually being present is both impossible and unrecommended...

I have no family or friends in London whose couch I could crash on for a couple of days, so I am a little bit limited in that regard. So basically -- agency fees/backchecks; and flat viewings. Any advice from you seasoned pro's would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

On rightmove if you click on 'fees apply' it gives you a breakdown of what the fees and deposit are. These vary wildly and are basically £250 for printing some documents, but that's the price of getting the use of a tiny part of some of the most valuable real estate on the planet.

Regarding references, really not sure how that'll work, but people move over here from abroad all the time so they must work something out. We used private landlords (not in London) when we first moved over here so it wasn't as much of a problem.

Do not flathunt from abroad, there's far too many scams out there. Try and set up a few viewings before you fly over but things can move quite quickly so you might just have to do it while you're here. When you like a place, you just make an offer through an agent and it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As mentioned the fees vary wildly but they generally come from the agencies who manage the property and not from the landlord themselves.
    Agencies are a bit of a scam but there is not much you can do about it because landlords dont want the hassle of managing the property themselves.
    You might have some luck putting a Wanted Add on Gumtree (with a NO AGENCIES tag on it). You might get some independant landlords who contact you.

1. Yes getting an Airbnb for a week or two would be a good idea while you look for a property so you're not under any immediate pressure.

2. Plan your location carefully. Im assuming you already have a job. Take into account the cost of your commute from your desired living location to work and your weekend lifestyle (ie. How often will you be too tired/drunk to bother with the tube/bus and just get an expensive taxi! :) ). Sometimes it can workout cheaper to pay an extra £100-200 in rent per month vs paying it in travel costs every day.
    Here is a PDF of the costs of travel on the London tube network https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf

3. Take into account that from september 12th the tube will run for 24 hours on Friday and Saturday nights. Its will be very useful so id recommend making sure you rent somewhere which is on one of the available night routes.
    https://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-improvements/the-future-of-the-tube/night-tube#on-this-page-0

4. A big expense for everyone is the council tax. Find out how much you will need to pay. Your probably looking at something in the region of 1200 per year. I think you get 25% discount if your living alone.

5. Total expensives per month are Water, Gas, Electricity, Tv, Internet, Council tax.

6. Internet quality and availability varies massively throught the city. If its important to you check the areas providers before agreeing to rent.

7. Oh and parking. If you need a car then parking is not always guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks for the great responses!

Since I don't have a UK bank a/c yet, will my contract of employment be enough "proof" for landlords/agencies do you think?

Also I see that many ads bundle bills and council tax in with the rent. Is this legal? I had thought that each individual person needs to pay council tax? I don't want to get on the wrong side of the taxman.

Speaking of tax, how long would you reckon it takes to sort out a national insurance number? I'll need to wait to apply until I actually have an address -- do you think it would come through within 3/4 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Aard wrote: »
    Thanks for the great responses!

Since I don't have a UK bank a/c yet, will my contract of employment be enough "proof" for landlords/agencies do you think?

Also I see that many ads bundle bills and council tax in with the rent. Is this legal? I had thought that each individual person needs to pay council tax? I don't want to get on the wrong side of the taxman.

Speaking of tax, how long would you reckon it takes to sort out a national insurance number? I'll need to wait to apply until I actually have an address -- do you think it would come through within 3/4 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

No idea if it is legal but it happens.

I got my ni number straight away when I went for the application meeting. No idea if this is common or not but the website says 4 weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine took 10 days from the appointment, which seems to have been quite quick compared to others.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everybody!

How did ye find setting up your first rental? Any general tips? I'm fairly sure about location (southwest area around Northern line). Would you recommend just taking the tube out and vising estate agents on the high street?

Aard wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everybody!

How did ye find setting up your first rental? Any general tips? I'm fairly sure about location (southwest area around Northern line). Would you recommend just taking the tube out and vising estate agents on the high street?

Never got much out of estate agents by calling them. I'd imagine it's the same in person. What tends to happen is you give them a budget and some requirements and they come back (if they bother) with something that's at least £100 a week above your budget.

General tips:
    Visit the area around a property in the evening as well as during the day.

Accept that (especially for your first property) you will have to compromise on something, be that space, location, distance from tube, proximity to main roads, living near your mates etc.

Check night bus (and night tube) routes.

Ask what council tax band the property is on. You can then check how much it is on the local borough's website.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Gumtree is great for finding places. Don't ignore ads for places that don't have pictures - if they're in a nice area it's worth checking them out. That's how I found my flat and it's fab!

Thanks for that. Yeah I kinda had just discounted anywhere without photographs. Tbh it still seems like I'd be taking a bit of a chance with places like that. Especially if the rent seems affordable!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Well with our one, the property manager put up the listing before getting the place professionally cleaned, so the pictures would have been rubbish anyway. Even when we called to see it, it hadn't been cleaned but she said to look beyond the mess, and it was being done that week, and sure enough it was spotless by the time we moved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey OP,

I moved here a about 6 weeks ago and found my place on SpareRoom. I went to see a lot of dreadful places on SpareRoom, but this one came about from my Room Wanted ad when I'd all but given up hope! I lived in Scotland for 3 years and didn't have any agency fees, the first time I came across them was here. I paid 144£ basically for them to email my old company and ask if I'd work there. It's a pain but seems to be fairly common.

One word of warning for you, a lot of places ask for 6 weeks rent as deposit here. Paying this and one months rent has left me pretty poor until payday next week!

Also my pal sent me this link yesterday: http://www.findproperly.co.uk/tube-map.php#.VY19kBfYKZG This also might be of use to you.

You might also find this useful, put in a postcode and it generates a colour-coded map of how long it takes to commute to anywhere else in London

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/urban-planning-and-construction/planning-with-webcat/webcat?scenario=2011%20%28Base%20year%29&Type=TIM

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Sorry to jump in but does one have to already be in employment to secure an apartment/flat in London?

Sorry to jump in but does one have to already be in employment to secure an apartment/flat in London?

No but it will make life easier.
    You may be asked for a larger than normal deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Theoretically no but in reality yes. Otherwise you're looking at a deposit and 3 months rent upfront which very few people can afford. There's so many people wanting flats that agencies/private landlords just don't see the point in taking a risk at someone not in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Chicken and egg scenario: Moving over to London without a job in order to find a job, and looking for accommodation. :(

Would Air b&b be good to look for short term accommodation? I don't know anyone I could stay with in London. Potentially moving in September sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    Chicken and egg scenario: Moving over to London without a job in order to find a job, and looking for accommodation. :(

Would Air b&b be good to look for short term accommodation? I don't know anyone I could stay with in London. Potentially moving in September sometime.

Try this

http://uk.cameloteurope.com/9/0/how-it-works/property-guardianship-how-it-works.html

This might be worth a look too, though note you have to pay to view a property:

http://www.flat-club.com/

Cheers. This is the main stumbling block possibly for many? You read so much negative press in terms of housing and accommodation, it just seems like it could all be a nightmare. No job = more difficult to get a place.

Cheers. This is the main stumbling block possibly for many? You read so much negative press in terms of housing and accommodation, it just seems like it could all be a nightmare. No job = more difficult to get a place.

You'd be better off getting a room in a flat. Theres a free magazine called the TNT which you will find outside most tube stations on a Monday. It usually has loads of rooms in it. Also the gumtree website.
    What work you looking to do?

• Advertisement

Nice one, I'll bear that in mind. (TNT).

I'm looking for a content, be that digital content, communications, PR etc.

I've been on here a while back looking for the same advice, but in the meantime started, and am coming to the end of a paid internship in Dublin.

I've been applying from Ireland, but to be honest, I think I'm wasting my time. I'd be better off just there, but I am finding the idea of getting a place to live to be the most daunting.

Going by some of what you'd read in the likes of the Guardian, it's like London is some cesspit where all your money will be drained on a box room in suburbia. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Going by some of what you'd read in the likes of the Guardian, it's like London is some cesspit where all your money will be drained on a box room in suburbia. :(

On an entry-level content manager/PR exec salary, it is.

Nice one, I'll bear that in mind. (TNT).

I'm looking for a content, be that digital content, communications, PR etc.

I've been on here a while back looking for the same advice, but in the meantime started, and am coming to the end of a paid internship in Dublin.

I've been applying from Ireland, but to be honest, I think I'm wasting my time. I'd be better off just there, but I am finding the idea of getting a place to live to be the most daunting.

Unfortunately London is very expensive to rent unless you don't mind living out at the end of the tube lines & don't mind travelling an hour to work & back a day. It would be easier if you knew someone over there that could let you sleep on their couch till you get sorted

Yeah. It's a pain in the *ss.

Yeah. It's a pain in the *ss.

Would you not be better getting a bit of experience under your belt in Dublin?
    That way if you do still want to go your wage would be liveable

Your looking at approx.
    £400+ per month just for a room in a house
    at least £100 per month for travel
    Then bills, food going out etc

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Would you not be better getting a bit of experience under your belt in Dublin?
    That way if you do still want to go your wage would be liveable

Your looking at approx.
    £400+ per month just for a room in a house
    at least £100 per month for travel
    Then bills, food going out etc

Well, I have 7 yrs or so digital marketing experience as well as tech writing experience, and I'm 38!
    I don't want to work for a small company in Dublin, I'd rather get the finger out. I'm at stage 2 of a 3 part interview for a job in London. Pay would be around £30k

Well, I have 7 yrs or so digital marketing experience as well as tech writing experience, and I'm 38!
    I don't want to work for a small company in Dublin, I'd rather get the finger out. I'm at stage 2 of a 3 part interview for a job in London. Pay would be around £30k

Yeah u should be fine then. Do u know where in London the job would be?
    Have u been to London?

It would be near Liverpool St. I've been to London a good few times at this stage, and am a bit familiar with the Hackney area.

I'm not feeling very confident about this interview, so am planning ahead in case it falls through.

Apologies for derailing the thread slightly.

It would be near Liverpool St. I've been to London a good few times at this stage, and am a bit familiar with the Hackney area.

I'm not feeling very confident about this interview, so am planning ahead in case it falls through.

Apologies for derailing the thread slightly.

Theres a pub in Acton called The Windmill that used to rent rooms to builders/contractors etc ( might still do it ) its Irish owned so might be able to help you out. Its about 10-15mins walk from East Acton tube which is on the central line which will get you to Liverpool St.

• Advertisement

Nice one. I'll bear it in mind!

Advertisement