Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in London for the first time

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

seachto7 wrote: »
    It would be near Liverpool St. I've been to London a good few times at this stage, and am a bit familiar with the Hackney area.

I'm not feeling very confident about this interview, so am planning ahead in case it falls through.

Apologies for derailing the thread slightly.
    Be prepared to up well over 500 for a room in Hackney. It really is chocking how much rent is in London, i know several people paying over £800 for a room in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For something in the Liverpool Street area, I would be following the train lines out of there - Greater Anglia and Central Line, and also consider the Northern line to Moorgate. I'm working in Old Street, which isn't too far from there, and live in Archway which is 7 stops up on the Northern line.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

For something in the Liverpool Street area, I would be following the train lines out of there - Greater Anglia and Central Line, and also consider the Northern line to Moorgate. I'm working in Old Street, which isn't too far from there, and live in Archway which is 7 stops up on the Northern line.

Don't forget TFL Rail, which will morph into Crossrail in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ludermor wrote: »
    Be prepared to up well over 500 for a room in Hackney. It really is chocking how much rent is in London, i know several people paying over £800 for a room in house.

I know. Paying it through gritted teeth too I'd say, but what can I do! It all seems to revolve around London in my game. Smash and grab. Get in and get the experience (and a lady friend!) and get out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Could also look at the London Overground line which stops at Shoreditch High Street, only a 5-10 minute walk to Liverpool Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I work near Liverpool St, I live in Romford, it's 25-30 mins on the slow train (quick ones don't stop during rush hour). Its not the most salubrious of environs but it has lots to do and the cost of living is really great considering its only 14 miles from the city. We rent a nice little 2 bed house for £1000pm and my annual rail ticket is about £1700 iirc. Its the perfect location for us and I never have to suffer the tube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Romford. Hmm, ok good to know. I wouldn't be one for going "on the town" every weekend, but would be nice not to be suck totally in suburbia, though I'd imagine there's plenty going on in the burbs too. 2 bed for 1000 pounds per month isn't bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

£1000 for a house is good (especially when shared between 2 people), it hasn't risen since we moved in 3 years ago and with the way the property market is here, we're quite lucky on that front. You'd get a flat for a fair bit less iirc although it's been a while since I looked.

The night tubes start in Sept so that'll make Greater London that bit smaller at the weekends, no more checking the time for fear of missing the last train when out for a few in town. A lot of the younger lads I play football with would live in Redbridge and Leytonstone which might suit a bit better for being a bit closer to the action, right on the Central Line and I can't imagine they're that much more expensive than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

seachto7 wrote: »
    Romford. Hmm, ok good to know. I wouldn't be one for going "on the town" every weekend, but would be nice not to be suck totally in suburbia, though I'd imagine there's plenty going on in the burbs too. 2 bed for 1000 pounds per month isn't bad?

Yes, there's no point in moving to London and not to do it fully. Aim for zones 1-2. You'll never fall in love with the place of stuck out in Metro land. I'd recommend Elephant and Castle or Walworth. Bit grubby, but plenty of life. Liverpool Street will be a 30-40 minutes walk, 25 on the bus, 15 on the bike from E&C roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Yes, there's no point in moving to London and not to do it fully. Aim for zones 1-2. You'll never fall in love with the place of stuck out in Metro land. I'd recommend Elephant and Castle or Walworth. Bit grubby, but plenty of life. Liverpool Street will be a 30-40 minutes walk, 25 on the bus, 15 on the bike from E&C roundabout.

There are far nicer places in zone 3/4 that are comparable in price to those you mention. I would avoid Elephant and Castle myself in favour of Clapham, Balham, Brixton, Wandsworth. Streatham etc if you are looking somewhere south of the river in a similar proximity to central london.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Playboy wrote: »
    There are far nicer places in zone 3/4 that are comparable in price to those you mention. I would avoid Elephant and Castle myself in favour of Clapham, Balham, Brixton, Wandsworth. Streatham etc if you are looking somewhere south of the river in a similar proximity to central london.

I know Elephant and Castle seems a bit grim but it does have good transport links, like I can't imagine Streatham is that easy to get too.

If your working in Liverpool street why not look at Bow or Mile End?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I know Elephant and Castle seems a bit grim but it does have good transport links, like I can't imagine Streatham is that easy to get too.

If your working in Liverpool street why not look at Bow or Mile End?

Lots of overground trains from Streatham into Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars etc. Also buses direct to Liverpool Street and the West End leaving every few minutes. Will take you a bit longer then E&C for sure but you will get more for your money and its currently up and coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Does anyone have a guess, starting from the ground, how long it would take to find a room in London, one week, two?

Also, is a fixed term lease the norm to rent a room in London?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'd give yourself two weeks - but accommodation is in high demand in London so it could take longer.

I think fixed term leases are the norm, especially if its through an agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

I totally disagree with this to be honest. I can experience London city centre everyday if I wish to with ease, I live in a 2 bed apartment in zone 4 which is 40 minutes away by tube.

Living in Elephant and Castle is my idea of hell. Why would anyone do that to themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

Does anyone have a guess, starting from the ground, how long it would take to find a room in London, one week, two?

Also, is a fixed term lease the norm to rent a room in London?:)

It took me 4 days on the internet using Spareroom.co.uk . After a few email and telephones exchanges I flew over and moved in that night. Agree a short rent initially, maybe 3 months, just in case it turns out to be not very nice.

I've only rented a room once in London before I rented my own apartment. But as far as I know an agency will want a fixed term, a private landlord may be more flexible.

I recommend agreeing 3 months initially and make it clear that you will be considering a longer term which you can discuss after a couple of months.

Advertisement