Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Server infrastructure in the college is some damn creaky business and it's only getting worse. Don't be surprised if it gets kicked to bits and we don't see results till Monday. It's a miracle the system hasn't collapsed already.

Oh!!! Something changed! Extra line got added to my table, row for 5 as well as 1 now! PANICPANICPANICPNAICPICNICPICNIC yes I'd like a chicken sandwich and a beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

mickstupp wrote: »
    Server infrastructure in the college is some damn creaky business and it's only getting worse. Don't be surprised if it gets kicked to bits and we don't see results till Monday. It's a miracle the system hasn't collapsed already.

May be the first time ever in 4 years I get my results via paper first :pac: :eek:

Especially cos our post comes at 8am

Oh!!! Something changed! Extra line got added to my table, row for 5 as well as 1 now! PANICPANICPANICPNAICPICNICPICNIC yes I'd like a chicken sandwich and a beer...

Mine too ;)

Theyre out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

I got mine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

The wait is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Mine still says result still has to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Mine aren't up :(((((((

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LisaNiChon

Mine are not -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 opia1970

It must be by subject?

It'll take a little while for the whole thing to switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

anyone wanna go get fcuked while we wait?

The hamsters are running, give them time.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dan2010

Can we go into uni and view our exam papers?

Yes, on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Any postgrads get their results yet? Still waiting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Missed out on what I wanted by 1.4%... gutted.

I am due to start a job abroad in August so won't make the repeats.

What are my options ? Can I appeal a result (of a CA module for example) ?

You would have to talk to an academic advisor I think? Or the department on Tuesday, look on MSU's facebook page, or Síona's for the details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

12 marks off a 2.1, gonna try a combination of appeals and repeats to make it. It's 15 credits you can repeat without getting downgraded to an ordinary degree, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

Planemo wrote: »
    12 marks off a 2.1, gonna try a combination of appeals and repeats to make it. It's 15 credits you can repeat without getting downgraded to an ordinary degree, right?

Yeah 15 credits. You could probably do with contacting Academic Advisory too if you wanted. They're approachable and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My son got his results, feeling very proud, A BA International 1st class Honours degree��

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

My son got his results, feeling very proud, A BA International 1st class Honours degree��

Excellent, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Guys does anyone know what the craic is for adding second year results?
    It says that
    "The final year subject mark will incorporate, where relevant, the penultimate year mark weighted at 30%, applied only to the student’s advantage ". My results today tells me i got a very high 2.2 however last year I got a 2.1. So will my degree be a 2.2 or will my second year marks be incorporated into this? or have they already been? im a bit confused at the moment gonna get in touch with the advisory in a bit but thought id post this here now in case anyone can help :)

I still haven't gotten mine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Was chatting on facebook last night and went to show my mate a pic of the "results not yet released" message on the results page, wasn't expecting to actually see my results. Honours across the board, checked individual module results and scored a first class honours in a module and a 2.1 somewhere else, delighted. That's my degree got now, finally :)

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Guys does anyone know what the craic is for adding second year results?
    It says that
    "The final year subject mark will incorporate, where relevant, the penultimate year mark weighted at 30%, applied only to the student’s advantage ". My results today tells me i got a very high 2.2 however last year I got a 2.1. So will my degree be a 2.2 or will my second year marks be incorporated into this? or have they already been? im a bit confused at the moment gonna get in touch with the advisory in a bit but thought id post this here now in case anyone can help :)
    If your third year marks are lower than the second year marks, then it happens automatically.

So your final high 2.2 already includes 70% of your third year marks and 30% of your second year marks.

If it's a pretty high 2.2 and you really want a 2.1, it might be worth considering some repeats. You can do up to 15 credits in August and still come out with an honours degree. But if you choose to repeat subjects, you forfeit these marks.

So if you got a 59 in an exam and wanted to repeat the exam, they remove that mark and whatever you get in the repeat is it. If that happens to be a 54, tough luck, you're stuck with it.

If you do choose to repeat some exams to get up to a 2.1, it's worth doing the Maths carefully. Repeating one exam at 5 credits may not be enough to bump you over the line.

It's definitely worth talking to Academic Advisory, just remember they'll be mad busy this time of year. Also, I'd recommend going to see your exam scripts when they're available. It'll help you pinpoint what exams you could do a lot better in. The marks alone won't tell you, some lecturer feedback will help.

---

What I mean by a 5 credit exam maybe not pushing you over the line is... you're looking at 5 credits out of 60. That means your 5 credit exam is worth 8.33% of your overall degree mark. If you repeat a 5 credit exam, the difference between a 2.2 and a 2.1 in that one exam is just under 1% of your overall degree mark.

Which is to say that repeating a 5 credit exam when your overall degree is e.g. 58.7 is definitely worth it.
    But if your overall degree is 56 and you're hoping to get a 2.1... you'll be very hard pressed to do so even repeating 3 subjects in August.
    I guess I'm saying it's worth repeating if you're confident you can improve your marks by at least an entire grade. Because 10% in a 5 credit module will just about get you 1% overall if you round it up.

But my Maths comes from Excel, so don't trust me with the numbers...

---

But then I guess another way to look at it is, you've now got about 6 weeks to study for repeat exams. That could easily be enough to knock out an extra grade in three 5 credit exams, if you study your head off every day until then. What's there to lose? Even if you screwed those exams up a bit, chances are you won't lose that 2.2 overall degree mark because the difference of a grade in each exam would be just under 1 percent.

Either way, go see your exam scripts first. Talk to the lecturers and ask their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

If your third year marks are lower than the second year marks, then it happens automatically.

So your final high 2.2 already includes 70% of your third year marks and 30% of your second year marks.

If it's a pretty high 2.2 and you really want a 2.1, it might be worth considering some repeats. You can do up to 15 credits in August and still come out with an honours degree. But if you choose to repeat subjects, you forfeit these marks.

So if you got a 59 in an exam and wanted to repeat the exam, they remove that mark and whatever you get in the repeat is it. If that happens to be a 54, tough luck, you're stuck with it.

If you do choose to repeat some exams to get up to a 2.1, it's worth doing the Maths carefully. Repeating one exam at 5 credits may not be enough to bump you over the line.

It's definitely worth talking to Academic Advisory, just remember they'll be mad busy this time of year. Also, I'd recommend going to see your exam scripts when they're available. It'll help you pinpoint what exams you could do a lot better in. The marks alone won't tell you, some lecturer feedback will help.

Thanks man!

Also worth bearing in mind that a high 2.2 is often enough to get you into a Masters degree. And a Masters degree is much more likely to get you a job, since you're going to be in competition with people who definitely have postgraduate degrees.

• Advertisement

Taking the piss at this stage :(

NX8ioBT

Advertisement