Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Results

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just so people know, a 59.1 is actually considered a 2.1 and 69.1 a First so don't worry about needing to repeat of you've reached that .1! It got me my degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Taking the piss at this stage :(

Are you a postgrad student, because some postgrad students don't get their results till September after they have submitted their thesis. I know last year, I didn't get any results from my modules till September, so it might depend on your department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^Yeah, me either. Didn't get them till around the time of the repeat results as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Just so people know, a 59.1 is actually considered a 2.1 and 69.1 a First so don't worry about needing to repeat of you've reached that .1! It got me my degree!

Im on 59 :( need that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Yeah postgrad, just got an email to say my provisional results were up on the noticeboard, great use that is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Im on 59 :( need that one!!!

59.0? Sh*t. Go in for the consultation day on Tuesday and try an appeal. Go to everyone. You should be able to convince someone to bump you up enough to get that 0.1!

59.0? Sh*t. Go in for the consultation day on Tuesday and try an appeal. Go to everyone. You should be able to convince someone to bump you up enough to get that 0.1!

Thats put my mind at ease! cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

+1

better news for you, 59.05 will be rounded up to 59.1, which will then be rounded up to 60. so you only need .05 more if you are on 59.

But definitely got o consultation day, my marks were miscounted, and in the end i think i ended up on 69.07 or 69.06 which was rounded up to 70.

Normally lecturers will do their best to push you over the line, meet as many of your lecturers as possible as over 12 modules you.re sure to find someone to bump you up a few per cent in a module (*fingers crossed)

Emailed the department earlier just asking about and they sent me back an email saying they have ammended one of my grades up 2% so my overall is 591 i.e 2:1. Absolutley delighted they were very helpful. Cheers for all the help guys! :D

^That kicks ass! Congratulations!

See that? You don't ask, you don't get. People should ask more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 GrandmaBasil

Hey guys, just wondering does anyone have any idea how the results are calculated? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to repeat exams to improve my grade.. I got 680/1000 and am just wondering if I repeated an exam that I got 60 in and in the repeat I got 64 does that mean that the 680 would become 684 or would it carry more weight because this particular exam is for a 7.5 credit module? My mind is boggled! :confused::o

680/1000 is an average of your marks, it's not just added up.

Your degree is worth 60 credits, which is 1000 marks over all.

A 7.5 credit course is therefore worth 125 marks... (7.5/60)*1000.
    The difference between a 2.1 and a 1.1 in your subject is thus 12.5 marks, i.e. 10% of 125.

So if you repeat and increase your mark by 4%, you're actually making a 5 mark improvement, i.e. 125*0.04... which would give you 685.

For you to get an overall first in your degree you need 691, as far as I know, so it would be safer for you to repeat three exams... or at least that's what I'd do. And you'd want to make sure they're exams that you feel you can guarantee a 4-6% increase in to be safe, assuming they were three 7.5 credit exams, that is... it'll be harder for you to get the marks required if you're repeating 5 credit modules.

But don't trust my maths, they come from excel, not teachers.

In my opinion you're close enough to the 1st to chance it. Your repeat mark will overwrite your summer mark, even if you do worse, bear that in mind. But even if you did do worse, you'd probably still keep the overall 2.1. Unless you didn't show up for the exam, or something similar.

On the other hand you have a high 2.1 degree, which is enough to get into any Masters course, so why risk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

mickstupp wrote: »

The difference between a 2.1 and a 1.1 in your subject is thus 12.5 marks, i.e. 10% of 125.

So if you repeat and increase your mark by 4%, you're actually making a 5 mark improvement, i.e. 125*0.04... which would give you 685.

For you to get an overall first in your degree you need 691, as far as I know, so it would be safer for you to repeat three exams... or at least that's what I'd do. And you'd want to make sure they're exams that you feel you can guarantee a 4-6% increase in to be safe, assuming they were three 7.5 credit exams, that is... it'll be harder for you to get the marks required if you're repeating 5 credit modules.

In my opinion you're close enough to the 1st to chance it. Your repeat mark will overwrite your summer mark, even if you do worse, bear that in mind. But even if you did do worse, you'd probably still keep the overall 2.1. Unless you didn't show up for the exam, or something similar.

On the other hand you have a high 2.1 degree, which is enough to get into any Masters course, so why risk it?

Just a point to bear in mind: you can repeat fifteen credits without losing honours. That's only two 7.5 credit modules, not three. So you'd need to make up your deficit between two exams, increasing the amount you'd need from each module.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 GrandmaBasil

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm pretty sure that's the only exam I'd repeat..but I'd rather even just appeal it if possible? I can't find anything about appeals on the Maynooth website! Also is it true that you can't graduate at the same time as everyone else if you repeat?

Also is it true that you can't graduate at the same time as everyone else if you repeat?
    Yes, that's true, you graduate around Halloween, the 29th or 30th of October, probably. There's two days of conferrings then instead of three. It's not just repeats though. Plenty of Masters students, PhDs, people who couldn't make their summer exams or conferrings for whatever reason.

Gotta tell you though, it's not like they do it by class anyway. I was graduating with about 170 or so other people, only knew 2 of them.

I guess the best place to ask about appeals would be at the consultation sessions where you can see your exam scripts. That should be this week sometime, tomorrow or Wednesday maybe? One of the lecturers will be able to show you where you lost marks and you might be able to argue your case there and then.

Beyond that, there's the examinations site: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/exams/information-students

Also, I think if you were only willing to repeat that one exam, then to get to a 1st class honours degree from 680, you'd need 11 marks, i.e. about a 9% increase in your grade for that module. That's a very tough ask. Also, I think it's 70 quid a pop for resits. Don't know how much (if anything) they charge for appeals or rechecks.

Oh, found it, 25 quid for every recheck of a paper, and you have to ask for it within 2 weeks, so before Friday week I suppose. After that, 60 quid for each appeal of an individual subject mark.

Gotta tell you though, it's not like they do it by class anyway. I was graduating with about 170 or so other people, only knew 2 of them.

Well that really depends on what degree you're doing tbh. If you're doing a programme with loads of subject choices, e.g. Arts or Science, then the chances of you knowing people in your graduation is slimmer than if you're graduating in Law or Psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

For once I don't have repeats, but I have a friend who's out of the country at the moment and has some, when are the fees for it due?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

For once I don't have repeats, but I have a friend who's out of the country at the moment and has some, when are the fees for it due?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

My results say I got 550/1000. Is it possible to make this up to a 2:1 in repeats? I've a 5 credit exam that I'm confident I can bring from 40% into the 70% range with even just two weeks study. Would that be enough?

Hi Jay,
    As far as I know, you need 591 to get an overall 2.1.

Your 5 credit module is worth 83.33 marks (i.e. (5/60)*1000).
    40% is 33.33 marks, 70% is 58.33 marks.

So even if you increased it to 70%, i.e. by 30%, you're still only gaining 25 marks overall, it'd only get you to 575, so you'd need another 16 marks from somewhere.

You'd need to repeat probably another two 5 credit exams, and do really well in both, increasing by about 10% in each one.

But don't trust my maths, they come from Excel.

Also there may be a deadline for submitting to do a repeat exam or exams, don't know when that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Hi Jay,
    As far as I know, you need 591 to get an overall 2.1.

Your 5 credit module is worth 83.33 marks (i.e. (5/60)*1000).
    40% is 33.33 marks, 70% is 58.33 marks.

So even if you increased it to 70%, i.e. by 30%, you're still only gaining 25 marks overall, it'd only get you to 575, so you'd need another 16 marks from somewhere.

You'd need to repeat probably another two 5 credit exams, and do really well in both, increasing by about 10% in each one.

But don't trust my maths, they come from Excel.

Also there may be a deadline for submitting to do a repeat exam or exams, don't know when that is.

It says the 17th in the letter that I received. I wouldn't be too confident about bringing the others up much. I may just take the 2:2 as I'm planning on a masters after a years break. I honestly wouldn't have enough time to study now that I'm working full time. Thank you for your help!

Advertisement