Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser Eye Surgery

• 22-06-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi
    I failed my medical on my eyesight, and I got laser done on the 18 June, and I now have perfect vision :D
    Just wondering about people who had the same experience, what happens next with my application, and who do I need to contact to continue on with the application?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

bluebonbon wrote: »
    Hi
    I failed my medical on my eyesight, and I got laser done on the 18 June, and I now have perfect vision :D
    Just wondering about people who had the same experience, what happens next with my application, and who do I need to contact to continue on with the application?

After your six week check up, a letter has tp be sent from the surgery advising of what the vision was corrected to, this has to be sent to Garda HQ medical and then you will be cleared onto the PCT and fitness when the next slots come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bluebonbon

Who in the Guards do I email about this? I emailed Hrm Ocupational Health Services, will this do even though they never replied?
    Any idea when the next set of PCTs will be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Who in the Guards do I email about this? I emailed Hrm Ocupational Health Services, will this do even though they never replied?
    Any idea when the next set of PCTs will be held?

Email HR appointments office. appointments@garda.ie
    Let them know the original date of your medical and that you've now had your vision corrected. They're usually pretty good at emailing/calling back.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

When I got it done I was told to send up a physical copy of the letter from Optilase, stating what level my eyesight was at 6 weeks after my surgery, to the Chief Medical Officer in HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

What was your eyesight at originally if you don't mind saying?
    I'm probably borderline 6/18.
    I'm only at stage 2 but it'd be nice to know if I get to that point.
    With glasses I've perfect vision so I fail to see what's detrimental about wearing contacts at work.
    Laser eye surgery won't be an option for me for a long time with the way my funds are so I'm treading on thin ice I think.

• Advertisement

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    What was your eyesight at originally if you don't mind saying?
    I'm probably borderline 6/18.
    I'm only at stage 2 but it'd be nice to know if I get to that point.
    With glasses I've perfect vision so I fail to see what's detrimental about wearing contacts at work.
    Laser eye surgery won't be an option for me for a long time with the way my funds are so I'm treading on thin ice I think.

My eyesight was -1.50 in my left eye and -3.00 in my right eye!
    I went to the optician when the guards sent out the eyesight requirement and she said I should pass, but when I did the eye sight test for the guards i wasnt able to read a single thing!

My eyesight was -1.50 in my left eye and -3.00 in my right eye!
    I went to the optician when the guards sent out the eyesight requirement and she said I should pass, but when I did the eye sight test for the guards i wasnt able to read a single thing!

I have about -1.5 in both eyes if my memory serves me right, there's not a huge difference between them.

I suppose if you get that far you could just consider the surgery as an investment into your career because all you have to do is make sure you pass the fitness after. There's no luck involved at that point anymore like but I say it is a bad set back alright.

If you don't mind writing it out, what is the interview like?

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    I have about -1.5 in both eyes if my memory serves me right, there's not a huge difference between them.

I suppose if you get that far you could just consider the surgery as an investment into your career because all you have to do is make sure you pass the fitness after. There's no luck involved at that point anymore like but I say it is a bad set back alright.

If you don't mind writing it out, what is the interview like?

Yeah the fitness is really just up to me now 😊

The interview is 45 minutes long, and there's 4 people in there! Yore interacting with 3 and one is taking notes!
    They ask you on 6 competencies so you're supposed to have answered prepared for these beforehand, such as examples of team work skills or leadership skills!
    It's really just all about those! I play camogie so I got a lot of questions about that, such as my temperament on the pitch and fouling and stuff!
    I can't think of any question that completely caught me off guard to be honest but it was a few months ago

Yeah the fitness is really just up to me now 😊

The interview is 45 minutes long, and there's 4 people in there! Yore interacting with 3 and one is taking notes!
    They ask you on 6 competencies so you're supposed to have answered prepared for these beforehand, such as examples of team work skills or leadership skills!
    It's really just all about those! I play camogie so I got a lot of questions about that, such as my temperament on the pitch and fouling and stuff!
    I can't think of any question that completely caught me off guard to be honest but it was a few months ago

Do they send you out information on what will be asked before the interview?
    I haven't played sports since I was about thirteen so that will be problematic! I was told before they look for GAA players.
    Guess I'll have to up my game and spend some time in front of the mirror if I'm lucky enough to get that far. I mean I know my temperament and I know I'd make a good guard but without sports that'll take a very convincing argument to prove I reckon.

Thanks though, and best of luck with your fitness.

Advertisement