Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner gardener looking to get rid of weeds from garden

Options
  • 22-06-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get rid of the weeds that are in the attached photos. Would someone be able to tell me what they are and the best way of eliminating them from the garden please? I was thinking of spraying them with the likes of Roundup but the bottles in Woodies state that they are not to be used in a lawn. If I was to pull them out myself it would leave a bare patch in the lawn. Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea what they are

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

You have clover and plantain. Regular mowing will greatly reduce them. Use a lawn weedkiller if you must and then feed and mow. To have a pristine lawn, you will need to feed and use weedkiller regularly. This is expensive for you and very damaging to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Delphinium wrote: »
    You have clover and plantain. Regular mowing will greatly reduce them. Use a lawn weedkiller if you must and then feed and mow. To have a pristine lawn, you will need to feed and use weedkiller regularly. This is expensive for you and very damaging to the environment.

Thanks Delphinium. I'm not sure where to start so what weedkiller and feed would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Any garden centre will have a lawn weedkiller. These do not harm grass but will kill anything with a broader leaf. Can't recommend one as I would never use them. The key words are Lawn weedkiller. Any one will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I've used 'Evergreen Complete soluble' on mine, the last couple of years, I find it the best, and I have a lush weed free lawn..
    It Kills moss weeds and also feeds the lawn... so (it's an all in one) it's applied using a watering can..I prefer this method as you get more coverage... I apply every few months.
    It has iron in it, so if using, be careful not to let it spread to paved areas or stones.. as may stain.
    before this I used the levington Feed and weed liquid (Evergreen) and found that excellent.. but it was discontinued.

I also use weedol Lawn weed killer for the odd daisy, dandelion that may pop up now and again good product... it won't kill the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Just following up on this, I have used weedol and although it is very good at killing the plantain it leaves a brown burnt patch in the lawn, should I put lawn seed into these patches? Also, the plantain is spreading to the rest of the lawn at an unbelievable rate even though the grass is being cut short every 5-6 days, how do I stop this weed from appearing everywhere in the lawn? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Most stuff is seeding this time of year probably blowing in from somewhere else or bird poop you will never stop it from happening only prevent it by poisoning your soil with weed killer you have a very nice lawn but i wouldn,t personally use any of those products as most are cancerous causing

Advertisement