Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Btea with f/t summer work?

Options
  • 22-06-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Got a big shock today and left me in limbo.. Hopefully someone can clarify with me..

I start work tomorrow full-time and notified my social welfare office about this today, and he informed me not to be confident about getting my 188 again in September.

People were always allowed to work full-time in the summer and jump back onto btea in September, however he said its all changing and new rules that could leave me absolutely stuck now that I strictly cannot leave employment for a social welfare payment

This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.. It would mean I now have to be a security officer for all my life instead of going back to finish my last year of college.. Just because I informed the social today that I would start my first days work tomorrow.

And that even if I could get back on btea in September having worked 2.5 months, id be then means tested, and possibly have my btea cut!

Please someone tell me this is not the case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes. The BTEA scheme is under constant review and these changes have been implemented.

Info from CIC:
    Summer months: If you were getting a One-Parent Family Payment or a disability payment before going back to education your BTEA will continue to be paid over the summer provided you are returning to an approved course and are progressing in your education.

If you were getting a jobseeker’s payment before going back to education your BTEA is not paid over the summer months period between academic years. (It will be paid from the start of the new academic year provided you continue to satisfy the eligibility criteria.) If you work during the summer period your income from part-time or full-time work will be means tested against your BTEA when you resume your BTEA claim. Your BTEA will be affected unless you stop work before resuming your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

" If you work during the summer period your income from part-time or full-time work will be means tested against your BTEA when you resume your BTEA claim."

So there's no point me taking this job because whatever I make from it will just be deducted from my btea eventually?

Thanks for reply btw where did you see this information?

You might be ok if you leave the job a couple of weeks before the course restarts and go back on full jobseekers for that period immediately prior to returning to college. However you would need to have a good reason for leaving the job such as a contract ending etc.

Saw this on the CIC website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    Look under the section BTEA and part-time work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Ask the job to give you a fixed length contract to end a couple of weeks before you start back to college.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You might be ok if you leave the job a couple of weeks before the course restarts and go back on full jobseekers for that period immediately prior to returning to college. However you would need to have a good reason for leaving the job such as a contract ending etc.

Saw this on the CIC website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    Look under the section BTEA and part-time work.

I was told by citizens advice yesterday that I will be ok to leave the job 2 weeks before hand.. But is the reason "I quit work to return to college as it is my last year of my degree" going to be a good reason?

It is obsurd if they said no you cant leave that job to do your last year

• Advertisement

I think this has been cleared up now.. Woman from btea hq in sligo has assured me there is no problem with me working for summer months and quiting the job to go straight on to btea and it not being means tested. It only gets means tested if I carry on working through college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I think this has been cleared up now.. Woman from btea hq in sligo has assured me there is no problem with me working for summer months and quiting the job to go straight on to btea and it not being means tested. It only gets means tested if I carry on working through college.

I know this may not be of help but I was told that due to my start date of btea (September 2012) the working during summer wouldn't impact btea rate during term.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

It's as clear as mud with the BTEA. This is something I found on the Welfare website. When changing over for the summer I was assured that my part time job would not affect my BTEA once I return in September.

1zmi3qv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jfk1904

That is crazy, they offer zero help to people trying to return to education to get a qualification and finally get off the dole, all they seem to be doing is limiting peoples options everytime they have these reviews of BTEA.. And I have spoken to 3 different people on phone at various centres and they all have different information about the eligibility etc, be careful guys because to be misinformed about something like this could be the reason you can't continue your studies..

Jfk1904 wrote: »
    That is crazy, they offer zero help to people trying to return to education to get a qualification and finally get off the dole, all they seem to be doing is limiting peoples options everytime they have these reviews of BTEA.. And I have spoken to 3 different people on phone at various centres and they all have different information about the eligibility etc, be careful guys because to be misinformed about something like this could be the reason you can't continue your studies..

Iv recorded two phone calls with citizens information and btea hq both stating I can wuit job and get back on my 188 btea without means testing.. And rightly so.. But i wont be surprised if i have to deal with a public servant idiot cone September that says something completely different

• Advertisement

Iv recorded two phone calls with citizens information and btea hq both stating I can wuit job and get back on my 188 btea without means testing.. And rightly so.. But i wont be surprised if i have to deal with a public servant idiot cone September that says something completely different

OK best idea heard yet at least then you have something to go back when told that you are incorrect, good thinking off to get my evidence now haha

I'd go with whats on the BTEA operational guidelines more than what you got from Citizens info. The BTEA scheme is under constant review and it doesnt matter what data CIC have. DSP will go with the most current version of the rules. Also CIC have no jurisdiction over BTEA, its all DSP so effectively what they say goes.

Part of the problem for DSP staff in local offices is that when the rules of the scheme are changed it can take ages for that information to be made available to counter staff. Also changes in one part of the scheme has knock on effects depending on what an individuals specific circumstances are and its often only when changes are implemented that the problems and contradictions become evident.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    I'd go with whats on the BTEA operational guidelines more than what you got from Citizens info. The BTEA scheme is under constant review and it doesnt matter what data CIC have. DSP will go with the most current version of the rules. Also CIC have no jurisdiction over BTEA, its all DSP so effectively what they say goes.

Part of the problem for DSP staff in local offices is that when the rules of the scheme are changed it can take ages for that information to be made available to counter staff. Also changes in one part of the scheme has knock on effects depending on what an individuals specific circumstances are and its often only when changes are implemented that the problems and contradictions become evident.

thanks for info all the same

Advertisement