Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did the Consumer Commission have to force Eircom to Comply with Irish & European

Options
  • 22-06-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has today issued seven Compliance Notices issued to telecoms providers. 

Following a review of their websites, four companies; eircom (eircom Limited and eircom trading as eMobile), Meteor, Three and UPC, were considered not to be compliant with different aspects of the EU’s Consumer Rights Directive (CRD).

<snip - do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites/publications here. Provide a link to the source>

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To answer your question because companies think that they can do what they like and most of the time they can!  There are no consequences whatsoever for companies when they mess people around - and look at what you quoted above! Even though the companies have been found to be in the wrong they are thanked for their co-operation!!! Now that must really frighten them!

A customer is punished more for missing a dd payment than Eircom is for not being compliant with a legal requirement!!! Why would they bother being compliant at that rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Interested to see what happens with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Guys,

eircom and Meteor inadvertently omitted to amend the websites following the extension of the period of time allowed for customers to cancel contracts. The information on these sites has now been amended accordingly, and in consultation with the CPCC.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

Are we able to cancel our contracts?

Hi Guys,

eircom and Meteor inadvertently omitted to amend the websites following the extension of the period of time allowed for customers to cancel contracts. The information on these sites has now been amended accordingly, and in consultation with the CPCC.

Thanks
    Al
    Inadvertently? Do Eircom seriously expect customers to believe that statement? "inadvertently"? has no manager in Eircom the obligation to ensure that Eircom are legally compliant with their obligations?

These directives do not just appear out thin air - companies are made aware of them long in advance and indeed asked for their observations etc. In fact here is a copy of Eircom's observations on the directive nearly two years ago.

So Eircom forgot to meet their legal obligations and Meteor did too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

This is Ireland. Absolutely nothing is enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Are we eligible to cancel contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lambayrules

yes this will be interesting..  i m in the process of trying to exercise my 'cooling off ' period to cancel my 18 month contract. 

i ordered efibre on the 04/06/2015. It was installed on the 15/06/2015. 
    I contacted eircom Eircom Broadband Technical Support on the 17/06/2015 and an engineer arrived on monday the 22/06/2015 unable to resolve the issue.

As far as i am concerned the cooling off period starts when i receive the goods ie modem etc and start to receive the service on the 15/06/2015 but eircom insist that the cooling off period begins on the date that you receive a confirmation email of the online order, the body of which does not state the cooling off period and the link in the email brings you to an an error page - eircom.ie/gen_err_page.html

never mind that  i have not received or signed a written, electronic contract ... nor  as yet paid for the service . 

Eircom today - so far  - "[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial]This is not the case Shane, the cooling off period is from the date the order was placed, you would have then have 14 days( 10 working days) to change your mind.[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial] Is there anything else I can help you with today?"[/font]

lets see how far i get with this .... 

yes this will be interesting..  i m in the process of trying to exercise my 'cooling off ' period to cancel my 18 month contract. 

i ordered efibre on the 04/06/2015. It was installed on the 15/06/2015. 
    I contacted eircom Eircom Broadband Technical Support on the 17/06/2015 and an engineer arrived on monday the 22/06/2015 unable to resolve the issue.

As far as i am concerned the cooling off period starts when i receive the goods ie modem etc and start to receive the service on the 15/06/2015 but eircom insist that the cooling off period begins on the date that you receive a confirmation email of the online order, the body of which does not state the cooling off period and the link in the email brings you to an an error page - eircom.ie/gen_err_page.html

never mind that  i have not received or signed a written, electronic contract ... nor  as yet paid for the service . 

Eircom today - so far  - "[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial]This is not the case Shane, the cooling off period is from the date the order was placed, you would have then have 14 days( 10 working days) to change your mind.[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial] Is there anything else I can help you with today?"[/font]

lets see how far i get with this .... 

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

Hi Eircom,

When do Eircom anticipate the will get around to complying with The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission's order ' To write to all the customers affected by Eircom inadvertently omitting Eircom's legal and moral duty?  

• Advertisement

When will Eircom be sending out the letters to everyone who signed up to a contract with Eircom since June 2014.?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

has anyone actually received one of these letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dub45 wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded."
    But that only applies if the consumer has been informed that they have a 14 day cooling off period as part of the call which should of course be included in the call recording.

Where that information is sent out in a letter the 14 days applies from when the customer receives a the letter if Eircom can't prove they customer was informed of their 14 day cooling off period then the cooling off period is extended until 14 days after they area informed.

Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Al
    The CPC Commission found that eircom and Meteor failed to tell consumers of their right to cancel under the CRD. 

''To remedy this, the companies Eircom and Meteor are now required to write to the affected consumers,Everyone who signed up with Eircom or Meteor since June 2014, to inform them of their cancellation rights. 

Consumers have 14 days from the date on which they receive this information to cancel their contract, if they wish.''

"The Consumer Rights Directive is now in effect in Ireland for over a year so all businesses have had ample time to update the information which they give to consumers," said Isolde Goggin, Commission chair.

"Our website, consumerhelp.ie, provides the relevant information consumers need to help them, including a dedicated section about services and contracts. 

"Also, if a consumer finds that they have signed up to a contract without being made aware of their rights, they should contact the Commission through consumerhelp.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

It would seem that eircom and meteor are not taking any notice about writing to their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

im am not surprised at the non responses from the representatives ,a complete sham of a company,but most are,we just take it so the get away with it. ive received no notice but ive only a few weeks left of contract and bought my own phone so makes little difference to me,only the lies are the same in store and over the phone.

I guess Eircom are not going to tell me one way or another what the are going to do about sending out the letters to the people who took out contracts with them since June 2014, I am sure Eircom will comply with ComReg's ruling. I hope this turns out satisfactory for all concerned!

Advertisement