Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre speed and availability

Options
  • 22-06-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

Hi I was happily surprised last night when I did my weekly check of my line to see that it was efibre enabled.
    I rang my provider, who informed me that I can only get 7mb on Fibre. Now considering I already get 12mb on my dsl line what gives?
    Is my provider right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Hi I was happily surprised last night when I did my weekly check of my line to see that it was efibre enabled.
    I rang my provider, who informed me that I can only get 7mb on Fibre. Now considering I already get 12mb on my dsl line what gives?
    Is my provider right?
    Hi ewj1978

If you would like to PM me your land line number I can check what fibre speeds eircom can offer you.

In some cases DSL speeds will be faster than eFibre but that's quite rare. Basically it happens if a line is at a distance from the eFibre cabinet (speed decreased over distance from the cabinet up to a cut of point of approx 2Km) but is not as far from a local exchange (whcih has a range to 6 to 8Km)

This link will shed a little more light on this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Hopefully that's not the case but PM me your number and I'll find out for sure.

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Hi ,

Any update on this?

Hi ,

Any update on this?
    Hi ewj1978

I have investigated this in full and I'm sorry to confirm that your line (including other lines in your housing estate) is too far from the cabinet to avail of faster speeds that 7Mb on eFibre. It would not be advisable to change as it would result in slower speeds I'm afraid.

The cables from the efibre cabinet are not laid in direct sight (basically not as the crow flies) and the lines in your specific area unfortunately extend too far.

I'm sorry I can't offer you better news on this.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan, just wondering could you let me know the code of which cabinet I'm connected to. Asking as from my house I can see 3 in the locale.

Jim

Hi Alan, just wondering could you let me know the code of which cabinet I'm connected to. Asking as from my house I can see 3 in the locale.

Jim
    No worries ewj1978

Your line is connected to THL1-E01 - please note that lines are not served in direct sight of the cabinet.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan.. THL1-E01 doesn't exist in my neck of the woods. YHL1-E01 is my local exchange (950m as the crow flies).  nearest cabinet is 60m and is YHL1-003. then YHL1-011 @250m.

Hi Alan.. THL1-E01 doesn't exist in my neck of the woods. YHL1-E01 is my local exchange (950m as the crow flies). nearest cabinet is 60m and is YHL1-003. then YHL1-011 @250m.
    Apologies ewj1978 - it's YHL1_E01

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement