Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Water locations in Wexford

• 22-06-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there,

I holidaying in Wexford (near Wellingtonbridge). I need to get a bit of distance training under my belt. Any recommendations of places for openwater swimming - beaches that are safe, or particularly good?

Or any places to by wary of?

Thanks

mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Baginbun beach to the left of baginbun head is sheltered and can be swam on low or high tide, there,s a Tri event swim there every year. Carnivan beach to the right of the head has strong under currents and large rollers.
    There's a stretch of water on Bannow bay along St Keirans (old rusted ship) at high tide there's plenty of depth and I'd imagine the current would be fairly mild.
    There's a life guard stationed at Duncannon beach, but the water quality is not the best according to reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Top man Bradnailer

Many thanks for your suggestions - looks like I'll get a bit of swimming under my belt.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jmark wrote: »
    Hi there,

I holidaying in Wexford (near Wellingtonbridge). I need to get a bit of distance training under my belt. Any recommendations of places for openwater swimming - beaches that are safe, or particularly good?

Or any places to by wary of?

Thanks

mark

My uncle swims in Curracloe every summer 3/4 times a week. From end to end of the curves of the beach.

He was saying there's a sand bank a little out and that kills most of the current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

jmark wrote: »
    Top man Bradnailer

Many thanks for your suggestions - looks like I'll get a bit of swimming under my belt.

Mark

No problem glad to help, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

wouldnt really reccomend baginbun when tide is out . can be hard to get depth.
    sandeel bay is lovely and dead safe. also dollar bay and booley bay on the waterford side of the peninsula are ok but not very long.
    carnivan is the nicest place to swim IN THE WORLD. sunny evening on a full tide you will not find anywher nicer.
    if its calm its safe if you are a competent swimmer. if its wavy its mad crack.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tritriagain - thats really great

Any coffee shops for my wife to sit in while I'm out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

There's a small cafe in Fethard and also Neville's pub which she could get coffee in and sit outside. These are about 3 min drive from both baginbun and carnival. But if I were her I would go with you as the scenery from both beaches is stunning esp carnivan. Did u guess yet that I kinda like carnival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

When in Wexford, I train at Kilmore. Lovely beach. Early in the mornning its very quiet, would swim from harbor wall to the brick structure thats located in line with the big house and back. It is possible to swim around the outside of the harbor to the second beach but be aware it is a busy harbor for fishing and leisure boats

http://outdoorswimming.ie/Co/Wexford/kilmore%20quay.html

Hi folks

Thanks for all the tips - had a couple of great swims -

3.5 km at Baginbun (across to Fethard head and back, and doing circuits at Dollar Bay.

Enjoyed a dip at Curacloe too.

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement