Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase

Options
  • 22-06-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hiya, hoping someone might be able to share experience. I have recently submitted an application to the prtb in respect of a rent increase. If anyone has gone through the process would you be able to share some info on how you found it? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hiya, hoping within someone might be able to share experience. I have recently submitted an application to the prtb in respect of a rent increase. If anyone has gone through the process would you be able to share some info on how you found it? Many thanks

What was your gripe with the increase apart from obviously having to pay more rent? Was it excessive? Was it done within twelve months of the last increase? Was it during the term of your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

davo10 wrote: »
    What was your gripe with the increase apart from obviously having to pay more rent? Was it excessive? Was it done within twelve months of the last increase? Was it during the term of your contract?

Having to pay more rent. A 20% increase. Obviously nobody wants to get an increased bill but I would have been ok with a reasonable percentage. I requested ll negotiate but they wouldn't so I initiated prtb process. Just really looking to see if anybody has any direct experience with the process.
    Yes I would consider it to be excessive for what and where it is.
    Yes at end to commence after tenancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Before making a complaint to the PRTB, did you research the guidelines for legal and proper rent increases? For instance, did you know that a landlord is entitled to raise the rent once every twelve months? That the rent can be raised by any percentage as long as it is in line with market rate for that type of property in that area? That the rent can be raised at the end of a contract term and when you go on to a part 4 tenancy as long as it is more that twelve months after you signed it?
    You need to find out how much other properties are renting for in the area, try looking up daft.ie. If the new rent is in line with that rate and hasn't been increased within the last twelve months, you are wasting your time and the PRTB's, just because it is 20% more now could mean rent has gone up in your area or you started off on a rate which was lower to begin with. And they are not required to negotiate, if you lose the PRTB appeal, you will have to pay the increase backdated to the date you were informed that the new increased rate kicked in.

Yes to all.

Yes fully aware of that.

Just asking really if anyone has had any experience with the prtb in such an application. I understand a lot of people ask here about such scenarios just looking to see if there were any details from the end or middle of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

If its not completely excessive with what rent is around your area, i dont think you will have any case.
    My landlord hasnt yet put up my rent. I am there 4 years. He could get id estimate an extra 300 per month. If this happens, there is nothing I can do about it.

If you have a real problem with it, unfortunately you will probably just have to move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I had two rent increases plus one of the two included car parks was removed with 16 days notice. TBH I'd had enough of the managing agent anyway as he'd made a number of pointed comments about women not being kept in their place etc so I made a complaint.

About five weeks later I got a phone asking if I'd agree to mediation and I said no (as a few more comments had been made in the interim about foreigners).

A week later I got a letter with a date on it.

Later the same week I got a SMS from another agent asking if we could have a chat... I agreed. Basically the owner of the property was now the bank and the bank were not happy to be included in a PRTB hearing. The agency boss had been raked over the coals, and yes suddenly they agreed they were pushing their luck.

Rent went back to what I had been paying, which was in line with other apartments in the development, I got my Carpark back and I got two letters of apology - from the agency boss and one from the agent themselves. I then cancelled the PTRB hearing as agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I had two rent increases plus one of the two included car parks was removed with 16 days notice. TBH I'd had enough of the managing agent anyway as he'd made a number of pointed comments about women not being kept in their place etc so I made a complaint.

About five weeks later I got a phone asking if I'd agree to mediation and I said no (as a few more comments had been made in the interim about foreigners).

A week later I got a letter with a date on it.

Later the same week I got a SMS from another agent asking if we could have a chat... I agreed. Basically the owner of the property was now the bank and the bank were not happy to be included in a PRTB hearing. The agency boss had been raked over the coals, and yes suddenly they agreed they were pushing their luck.

Rent went back to what I had been paying, which was in line with other apartments in the development, I got my Carpark back and I got two letters of apology - from the agency boss and one from the agent themselves. I then cancelled the PTRB hearing as agreed.

Wow wonder if it was legal to remove the car parking space with such short notice. Ridicolous carry on particularly if you were using the space.

Dreading the thought of an increase coming my way. There is so little properties for rent where I live, so really hard to make a comparison. Then they are usually 3 bed houses, instead of a 1 bed flat. Who is the burden of proof on regarding the going rate.

@on_my_oe Thank you so much for this! This is exactly what I was looking for, just stories of experiences with the prtb. Delighted it got sorted for you, fair play and thank you again.

Wow wonder if it was legal to remove the car parking space with such short notice. Ridicolous carry on particularly if you were using the space.

Dreading the thought of an increase coming my way. There is so little properties for rent where I live, so really hard to make a comparison. Then they are usually 3 bed houses, instead of a 1 bed flat. Who is the burden of proof on regarding the going rate.

I don't know who it sits with to be honest. Just to have all your ducks in a row I think it's good to have your back up for your appeal given the applicant is stating it's in excess. I included copies of advertisements for comparable properties in the area with my application.

Advertisement