Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc build for revit

Options
  • 22-06-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm a second year engineering student thats gonna neeed a pc for revit and auto cad. Any help with links if possible to an extremely tight budget
    Thanks.
    1. What is your budget? [€400]
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Cad/Revit, and internet. I have no interest in gaming.
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no
    5. Do you need a monitor? Yes but if that brings it over budget i can hold off on that, ive got till september
    5. If yes, what size do you need. unsure.
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Dont know much about it, but id try anything me!
    8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    9. When are you purchasing? Ill be purchasing these items over the summer. Ive got till september.

I was actually going to buy this but ebuyer cancelled on me was i lucky ? http://www.ebuyer.com/658956-lenovo-e50-desktop-pc-90bx0018uk
    I know the budget is tight so sorry about that, Im new to building but always enjoy a challenge. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i3 4160 or FX 6300 115/70?
    Board €60
    Zalman T4 €20
    1tb HDD €50
    16gb RAM €100
    300w PSU €30

Either CPU fits budget. Not sure which will be better for revit, you might have a better idea.

Will be able to fit an SSD with the AMD card so its probably more advantageous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Thank you so much for your fast reply.

Hi, Could you be more specific on what kind of stuff I can buy with possible links, sorry to be a pain in the ass, I have been googling this stuff but come up blank on some of the stuff.

your a legend thank you so much

• Advertisement

I've nearly all my bits and bobs bought now, the last thing i need is the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s.
    Totally novice question here tho, why 2 harddrives one of them been that^^^^^ and the other a ssd.

also can i just put the ssd im using on a laptop into the new pc without using the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s. im fairly broke now and im dying to get shtuck into it, specially with college next week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've nearly all my bits and bobs bought now, the last thing i need is the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s.
    Totally novice question here tho, why 2 harddrives one of them been that^^^^^ and the other a ssd.
    SSDs are super-quick, but expensive. So the best trade off is getting low-capacity SSDs for reasonable prices and using them for the OS and programs (or games), so you have super quick boot & loading times - but then using a secondary normal HDD (cheapy cheap) for storage.
    also can i just put the ssd im using on a laptop into the new pc without using the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s. im fairly broke now and im dying to get shtuck into it, specially with college next week

No reason you can't use the same SSD, but you'll have to do a fresh install of your OS.

SSDs are super-quick, but expensive. So the best trade off is getting low-capacity SSDs for reasonable prices and using them for the OS and programs (or games), so you have super quick boot & loading times - but then using a secondary normal HDD (cheapy cheap) for storage.

No reason you can't use the same SSD, but you'll have to do a fresh install of your OS.

why a fresh install, also i have a cd of win 7 from an old laptop , can that be used

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Windows is configured for the pc it is loaded on initially. Taking an already loaded drive may actually work, but you'll be dogged with driver and configuration errors, worse still it could also corrupt windows when you put it back into your laptop.

thanks for your replies, a fresh install it is so

• Advertisement

finally got everything together and built, the actual build took me about 2 hours, i got a bit lost on which plugs the front panel plugs go , but i got there in the ennd, then the downloading of the sofware and all that crap took me about 15 hours, i cursed and swore roughly through half of that , it should of took me an hourish but i just didnt understand certain stuff like driver software downloads and updates and **** like that, thank fcuk its over, im exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Worth it?

definitely. i knew id have trouble with the build and the software , but the end result was better than i hoped for. yea well worth it and thanks for the links and helping.

Hi guys, My cpu fan seems to be always running fast, i took it out and cleaned it, cleaned out the vents and put new paste on it but it has made no difference. I just wanna check are these temps normal.

https://imageshack.us/i/pnMCP441p

poLjZcaRp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Hi guys, My cpu fan seems to be always running fast, i took it out and cleaned it, cleaned out the vents and put new paste on it but it has made no difference. I just wanna check are these temps normal.

What operations are you running whilst it gets hot and speeds up?

you tube. but even now on boards it seems to be quite loud

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can you download Speccy and share your full system specs?
    https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

File -> Publish Snapshot

(e.g. mine: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jWEYztukX11lIathF7skW1K )

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img921/3447/Kd0iCh.png

is that ok, sorry i didnt no ure method

everything seems to be lagging now, I have a fast connection i just checked that. Did I do something to it when I was cleaning it. Its definitely slowed down, you tube is very bad, when i double click the screen to make it full picture it takes ages (5 secs) for it to become full screen where as before it was immediate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

everything seems to be lagging now, I have a fast connection i just checked that. Did I do something to it when I was cleaning it. Its definitely slowed down, you tube is very bad, when i double click the screen to make it full picture it takes ages (5 secs) for it to become full screen where as before it was immediate

Yeah that's pretty bad.
    Without knowing what processes are running it's nearly impossible to diagnose exactly, but looks like it's throttling.
    Are all case fans working?
    All dust cleaned out?

• Advertisement

I applied the thermal paste wrong, reapplied it and that seems to have made less laggy. But it hasn't improved the over heating.

CPU
    Intel Core i3 4160 @ 3.60GHz 54 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-PLUS (SOCKET 1150) 114 °C

All 4 fans are working, BUT.... the 2 case fans were not working up till now, I never connected them for some strange reason, but they are working now.

I finally figured out the problem. The fan wasn't seated properly on the cpu, i noticed when i took up the fan just now as it was still overheating, the pea sized paste was still intact and not touching off the metal part of the fan. So i seated it properly and Now I have normal temps (i think) of 35 when idle and about 45-50 when running a few programs, whereas before it was going as high as 100. To be honest I dont think i ever had it seated properly coz i remember a few months ago i checked the temps and they were high too but i only now started doing something about it.

Plus the 2 other fans attached to the case are running, they were not originally.

Thank you for your help.

Advertisement