Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Doyle RIP

• 22-06-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0622/709831-tipperary-hurling-great-jimmy-doyle-passes-away/

The death has been announced of the legendary Tipperary hurler and six-time All-Ireland winner Jimmy Doyle.

Doyle, from the Thurles Sarsfield's club, won his six medals in the period from 1958 to 1971. He was the holder of seven National League medals and was also a multiple Railway Cup winner with Munster.

In 1984 he was named on the Hurling Team of the Century to mark the centenary of the GAA. It was no surprise then when he was also named on the Hurling Team of Millennium in 1999.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"If Jimmy Doyle was as strong as you or I, there would be no debates about who the greatest ever hurler was."

Christy Ring.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RIP to a sterling hurling legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Never had the pleasure of seing the great man in action but any conversation I ever had with my grandfather, uncles and my own dad left very little doubt as to who the greatest was, every single hurler that hurls for Tipp will always be compared to the great Jimmy Doyle, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I saw him play and he was the best Tipp forward of all time imo. He was a very sporting player. He might not have been strong as some but he was tougher than most. He would have been even a bigger name if he played today. He was pure skill in the day when backs were mostly hatchet men.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He as a Tipp player had a rep for never pulling a dirty stroke, this in an era where hurling could be extremely rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

He was an extremely classy player when the Tipp backs were known as Hell's Kitchen!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

He must have been some player to play in 4 minor finals in a row , winning three of them. Imagine a 14 year old playing ... In a minor final

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Deskjockey wrote: »
    He must have been some player to play in 4 minor finals in a row , winning three of them. Imagine a 14 year old playing ... In a minor final

RIP.

He was 15 the first year, he played in goal....not that it made it any easier pacman.gif
    Superb achievements in both Minor and Senior grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

He also played in a Munster Minor Final and a Munster Senior Final on the same day which was some achievement, especially considering the physical nature of the game in that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

I grew up listening to tales of Jimmy Doyle.
    By all accounts a fantastic player. RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement