Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart tv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Pick up a non-smart TV on Amazon (now ship TV's up to 55") and buy yourself a Chromecast or a Fire TV Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

App Store Yes
    Their own little fiddly app store. It'll have a version of Android that you won't be able to update, and nothing of any use.

Mate has one. It has youtube, and I think Netflix, but the browser is sh|te, and won't allow you to update the flash version to be usable for anything but a limited internet experience.

You're paying €550 for a 47" 1080p 100hz TV.

Get a non-smart TV. Heck, maybe even a 3D TV; mainly as it looks cool, and can't be added on afterwards.

At least with the Android sticks, if you don't like it, you can upgrade. Get something from Tronsmart; have found them to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Is this a BA or a request?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Pick up a non-smart TV on Amazon (now ship TV's up to 55") and buy yourself a Chromecast or a Fire TV Stick.

Non Smart TVs involve the hassle of a second remote. The Samsung Smart TV range has a comprehensive app suit, including Plex and works like a charm.

The OP is asking whether this is a good deal or not. I would say that it is if he has already investigated which native apps they want and are happy with the offering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have a similar one .
    The magic remote will cost about €60 extra

As said above the internet browsing is poor and frustrating to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

degsie wrote: »
    Is this a BA or a request?

Does it matter?

Would agree with the idea of a non smart tv and something like chromecast, OP

We have a similar one .
    The magic remote will cost about €60 extra

As said above the internet browsing is poor and frustrating to use

Smart TVs are not for browsing the Web. I mainly use mine for my media server and for apps like iPlayer.

If you are using it for apps to watch content then you'll edit: NOT be disappointed. I barely used my Smart features until I set up a plex server and got DNS access to the UK catch-up channels.

ballyargus wrote: »
    Smart TVs are not for browsing the Web. I mainly use mine for my media server and for apps like iPlayer.

If you are using it for apps to watch content then you'll be disappointed. I barely used my Smart features until I set up a plex server and got DNS access to the UK catch-up channels.

The apps to watch content are fine and work brilliant . Its what a Smart TV is all about .

Internet browsing is disappointing .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The 'smart' features of smart TV's aren't really worth including in your consideration of whether or not to buy a new TV because only the high end/expensive models have smart features/functionality that's actually worth it. Most are slow and can become extremely frustrating to use over time. Like others said, you're better off using some android box or stick, there are even full blown computers the size of a large thumbstick coming out soon.

The apps to watch content are fine and work brilliant . Its what a Smart TV is all about .

Internet browsing is disappointing .

Lol complete typo. Meant the exact opposite! It's late :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Non Smart TVs involve the hassle of a second remote. The Samsung Smart TV range has a comprehensive app suit, including Plex and works like a charm.

The OP is asking whether this is a good deal or not. I would say that it is if he has already investigated which native apps they want and are happy with the offering
    Do people actually use their TV remote? The sky/UPC remote can turn it on/off and do the volume.
    I havnt seen my TV remote in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Personally I wouldn't bother. You're better off getting a good Full-HD LED jobbie and adding your own "smarts" as be pleasing you. Thing is, you'll probably have a job finding a non-smart TV in that size bracket these days.

ted1 wrote: »
    Do people actually use their TV remote? The sky/UPC remote can turn it on/off and do the volume.
    I havnt seen my TV remote in a few years.

With a well set up Smart Tv there is no need for Sky/UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

With a well set up Smart Tv there is no need for Sky/UPC

True. But any smart tv worth its salt MUST have Flash to work properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Shop around! I got a hisense 42inch LED 4K Uktra HD 3D TV off amazon Germany for €350 delivered, and its backed by amazons great customer service should anything go wrong. I'd consider that a good bargain. Super TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tinie wrote: »
    Shop around! I got a hisense 42inch LED 4K Uktra HD 3D TV off amazon Germany for €350 delivered, and its backed by amazons great customer service should anything go wrong. I'd consider that a good bargain. Super TV also.

Are you sure about the customer service? Did you use Parcel Motel?

Discodog wrote: »
    Are you sure about the customer service? Did you use Parcel Motel?

No they delivered it right to my door. Amazon customer service is top notch. Any issues and they usually just replace it or you send it back for a full refund as long as its within a year of purchase or so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jimgoose wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't bother. You're better off getting a good Full-HD LED jobbie and adding your own "smarts" as be pleasing you. Thing is, you'll probably have a job finding a non-smart TV in that size bracket these days.

Bought a smart tv,used Youtube on it once.Got an Android tv box and loaded it up with all the goodies and use that for my Smart tv needs instead-who needs Netflix these days?

Smart tv's with full Android service are to become the norm soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

Thanks for all the advice guys...really helpful. I was going to go in to power city this evening. Is it true you can try and talk your way into a better deal with them?

blizzard13 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys...really helpful. I was going to go in to power city this evening. Is it true you can try and talk your way into a better deal with them?

See if you can find the same tv cheaper elsewhere,most places will pricematch these days to get a sale.

BTW,if you get an Android tv box,there's a huge thread on them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057066642&page=274

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I do find with my LG smart TV that netflix is grand but the youtube app chugs with my internet connection and insists on 1080p. On balance I would probably recommend something else for youtube, probably not the random android sticks off chinese websites though as I have found them pretty disappointing. Everything else is shovelware really in the smart TV app store, and its not gonna have the stuff you really want like Rte player, Channel 4, TV Three etc.

imitation wrote: »
    I do find with my LG smart TV that netflix is grand but the youtube app chugs with my internet connection and insists on 1080p. On balance I would probably recommend something else for youtube, probably not the random android sticks off chinese websites though as I have found them pretty disappointing. Everything else is shovelware really in the smart TV app store, and its not gonna have the stuff you really want like Rte player, Channel 4, TV Three etc.

you tube chugs is probably your broadband connection and not the smart tv fault

• Registered Users Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote: »
    Got an Android tv box and loaded it up with all the goodies

what add-ons you using?

youtube app chugs with my internet connection and insists on 1080p

you running it wirelessly? wired better option if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

Tinie wrote: »
    Had a look there, seems they wont deliver any of the hisense options to Ireland or NI via parcel motel. Did you use a German forwarding address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you running it wirelessly? wired better option if possible

It is wired, the issue is partly the broadband alright, but my pcs and ps4 work just fine, they might drop quality a sec but they stream on. The smart tv just insists on 1080p and stops every 5 seconds. Not everybody can get a perfect broadband connection, so its worth considering.

It is wired, the issue is partly the broadband alright, but my pcs and ps4 work just fine, they might drop quality a sec but they stream on. The smart tv just insists on 1080p and stops every 5 seconds. Not everybody can get a perfect broadband connection, so its worth considering.

thats true. hopefully our broadband issues will be a thing of the past countrywide soon

Had a look there, seems they wont deliver any of the hisense options to Ireland or NI via parcel motel. Did you use a German forwarding address?

Make sure its sold directly from amazon themselves and not a marketplace seller.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what add-ons you using?

Can't say here.The box of shows is good;) And KODI of course,look up seo-michael.co.uk for configurations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

zerks wrote: »
    Bought a smart tv,used Youtube on it once.Got an Android tv box and loaded it up with all the goodies and use that for my Smart tv needs instead-who needs Netflix these days?

Smart tv's with full Android service are to become the norm soon.

Will this mean we'll actually be able to use a decent web browser? If they released android TV and you could hook up a HDD for storage and use uTorrent to download movies and TV shows directly to the HDD and play on the TV it'd be amazing. Add to that different apps and it'd be the perfect opportunity to finally cut the chord with the likes of Sky.

Advertisement