Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1500-€2000 PC (where to buy? total noobie)

Options
  • 22-06-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!

Complete and utter noob here looking for some guidance.

My current ASUS N55S laptop can't really keep up with what I'm tasking it for at the moment. I was going to get an ASUS ROG G751JY-DH71, but a friend recommended me here to look at building/buying a PC for the following(in priority):

Recording/Editing/streaming (from console and pc games for Youtube/Twitch)
    - Currently my laptop can't even run OBS, Xsplit or Elgato past 720p 30 fps nevermind anything else so making it to the next level is important

Gaming (At high/intense settings, games like Crysis, and other fps)
    Speed, Storage and multitasking.

As I have recently been getting back into Counterstrike, Crysis and Minecraft but unable to run them buttery smooth on the current laptop I was just wondering what people would recommend for the above and where to go..

FYI I have 0 knowledge on computers past using them. So 0 build skills.
    This is primarily going to be a PC used for large file storage, high quality streaming, recording and gaming. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i7 4790k
    Z97 board €90
    2tb HDD €80
    120gb SSD €60
    250gb SSD €85
    500-600w PSU €60
    8gb RAM €55
    Nanoxia DS1 €90
    That's €900 or something without a graphics card. New AMD cards this week so I'll recommend one later

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Damn man that's efficient! Would you recommend I just dive on in or go to someone for help/get it built for me.. I do tinker with components in other hobbies, I just fear colorblindness might not allow me to work with PC stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I Armour I wrote: »
    Damn man that's efficient! Would you recommend I just dive on in or go to someone for help/get it built for me.. I do tinker with components in other hobbies, I just fear colorblindness might not allow me to work with PC stuff.

It's not very difficult and I can't see how colour blindness would affect you doing it. There isn't really any colour coding of cables, there can be small hard to read text on the motherboard for connecting headers, fan, power cables, leds if that would cause a problem. Even if it does, the manual will have a picture with everything labelled clearly anyway so I'd say you'd be fine.

Seeing as you tinker with components for other hobbies, you should be fine. Take a look at some building videos on youtube and see what you think. It's really not difficult at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Thank you kindly man!

I will begin ordering the parts nextt week so and report back to let ye know how I get on.

Performance wise would I run into any issues with the above components running the likes of Crysis, Dishonoured, far cry, arma, etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I Armour I wrote: »
    Thank you kindly man!

I will begin ordering the parts nextt week so and report back to let ye know how I get on.

Performance wise would I run into any issues with the above components running the likes of Crysis, Dishonoured, far cry, arma, etc

That would depend on the graphics card you choose. Combine the above with a nVidia GT610 and you're going to have a bad time. :D Given your budget you'd easily couple the above witha very high end card, we're talking a nVidia 980 Ti or an AMD Fury X. You could go lower and save some money and still run those games with ease. Do you have a monitor already? if not have you thought what resolution you'd like your new monitor to have. This will depend on how powerful a card you would need to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ARMA and Crysis are tanks to run on most machines, but you'd manage them grand.

Most GPU's will fit your budget, at 1080p I don't think there's any need in going higher than a 970 or 290x/390x maybe, though if you wanted you could hit a Fury X or 980Ti, they'd last you a good while at this resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

You could also get a fancier, nicer looking case :pac:.

Bring on the build doubt.

Advertisement