Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tench fishing

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

ive only recently started fishing for tench, tonight i was fishing a spot and the place was fizzin like mad but i couldnt get a bite except for two eels :mad::mad:, i was using sweetcorn and maggots as bait and i had it groundbaited also...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You could try Casters, but you need to fish them a few inches over depth. I've had most success for Tench with Casters and Red maggot fished about 4 inches over depth

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

thanks... is that using the lift method?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

in this weather they could be spawning, if thats the case you will struggle. One of my mates had a few tench on monday evening, full of spawn.

thanks... is that using the lift method?

More or less, probably the most enjoyable way to catch Tench

21/25

Also if you're fishing in the evening, I personally find loosefeed better for Tench, Casters, Hemp & Chopped worm

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There is a decent chance that it could have been the eels that were making it look like tench bubbles. I've had it happen plenty of times.

One of the best things you could do is rake a few spots and loose feed casters, corn and hemp over the top. Do it in the evening and come back early next morning and as mentioned, fish the lift method with either caster, corn or worm on the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

A tip from long ago. I used to fish for Tench in a lake in England. This particular swim had a log crossways by the edge. By peeping over the top of the log I could see what was going on below. With loose feed the small fish, Roach, Rudd etc were right in the centre amongst the bait. Tench would flash in from the side, take a bit and depart. The secret was to fish away from the activity. I think the activity stirred the Tench into action. Wonderful days 50 + years ago. As for a canal, you could fish all day and not think one was in the river. First thing in the morning you could walk along the edge carefully and there would be one every 5 yards. Very wary because of human activity. Study to be quiet and get up early.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    There is a decent chance that it could have been the eels that were making it look like tench bubbles. I've had it happen plenty of times.

One of the best things you could do is rake a few spots and loose feed casters, corn and hemp over the top. Do it in the evening and come back early next morning and as mentioned, fish the lift method with either caster, corn or worm on the hook.
    i think ur rite about the eels, i ended up catching 3 of them after that, i hate eels!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

The Scottish town of Fife, a well-known fishing centre, hosts an annual international competition whose winner is he who manages to consume the greatest quantity of fish. The particular variety of fish involved is tench, a local favorite, abundant off the North Atlantic coast and exported throughout the whole EEC.

Last year, a local man by the name of Hicks was by many favored to win this gastronomic contest, while others predicted the victory of a former champion from Finland, Sven Oorslaatd. Hicks was a simple fisherman who had long neglected the dental work he required, and in the fiery passion of the final stages of the competition he was bitterly frustrated by the dislodging of one of his bottom molars while completing his eighth portion, causing his loss. The ensuing victory for the Finn was announced by the local papers the next morning in the following headline:

ONE TOOTH FREE FOR FIFE'S HICKS;
    SVEN ATE NINE TENCH!

Tench are Freshwater Fish, you are mixing up your species

The Scottish town of Fife, a well-known fishing centre, hosts an annual international competition whose winner is he who manages to consume the greatest quantity of fish. The particular variety of fish involved is tench, a local favorite, abundant off the North Atlantic coast and exported throughout the whole EEC.

Last year, a local man by the name of Hicks was by many favored to win this gastronomic contest, while others predicted the victory of a former champion from Finland, Sven Oorslaatd. Hicks was a simple fisherman who had long neglected the dental work he required, and in the fiery passion of the final stages of the competition he was bitterly frustrated by the dislodging of one of his bottom molars while completing his eighth portion, causing his loss. The ensuing victory for the Finn was announced by the local papers the next morning in the following headline:

SVEN ATE NINE TENCH!

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

SVEN ATE NINE TENCH!

You should have put that copied piece in quotes.
    Yes the competition used tench, dace, carp and bream but they are freshwater fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Super-Rush wrote: »

Bang on the money here , seen it myself lots of times.
    I find flake maize soaked overnight mixed with brown crumb and plenty of sweetcorn and casters great.
    30m1wko.jpg
    2agra89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Its been many years since I fished for tench and even then I didnt fish for them very much. I always used lobworms

thanks for the tips lads, still cant get another, gettin a few bream so its not too bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Bang on the money here , seen it myself lots of times.
    I find flake maize soaked overnight mixed with brown crumb and plenty of sweetcorn and casters great.
    30m1wko.jpg
    2agra89.jpg

Are those floating tench?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I definetly find red maggots are the best bait for tench

idnkph wrote: »
    Are those floating tench?

combination of the lift method and a second rod out on the ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I definetly find red maggots are the best bait for tench

depends on the location, maggots are a great tench bait, but were I do most of my tench fishing if you use maggots on the hook, the roach and rudd will have it snapped up before it hits the bottom! On my last trip I had to use a full 3-4 inch lob worm and a kernel of corn on a size 10 to get trough the silvers.
    As the days get shorter though, the tench tend to move off the larger baits, and can be harder to catch I find.

combination of the lift method and a second rod out on the ledger

Was referring to the camo ha but iv never tried the lift method, always used feeder method.

Was referring to the camo ha but iv never tried the lift method, always used feeder method.

Yes, I didn't know what you meant either. Do you not wear camo gear?

• Advertisement

Yes, I didn't know what you meant either. Do you not wear camo gear?

Always wear it when out in the field. Was only joking.

ha ha ah right ! its a surplus brit dpm goretex wetsuit as weather was ****ty

ha ha ah right ! its a surplus brit dpm goretex wetsuit as weather was ****ty

Mine was a gift from a Royal Marine. Great piece of kit.

Advertisement