Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny . Ever a youth culture ?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

first off let me state this .KK is a great place , lively , friendly , welcoming ..... But a serious question please don't take offense . Has there ever been a youth culture in KK ? . For example Waterford hast its Mods , Freewheelers etc Wexford the Rockers etc but I've always had the impression that KK kids rely on hurling to get them through ...... Cut down versions of their parents . Also I have the impression that Irish country music is nurtured there ? Can you tell me if there was ever a youth movement from the 80's on ? I'd be delighted to hear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    first off let me state this .KK is a great place , lively , friendly , welcoming ..... But a serious question please don't take offense . Has there ever been a youth culture in KK ? . For example Waterford hast its Mods , Freewheelers etc Wexford the Rockers etc but I've always had the impression that KK kids rely on hurling to get them through ...... Cut down versions of their parents . Also I have the impression that Irish country music is nurtured there ? Can you tell me if there was ever a youth movement from the 80's on ? I'd be delighted to hear

Weird question and weird assumptions about the place as well. Country music?!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Well that's my question and assumptions . This comes from working Ina Waterford factory for 20+ years with at least 60 south KK guys and that's why I'm asking . It always seemed that it was either "the Cats" or "Irish C&W ". On the nights out with the lads it was always brought back to this ...... Was there a rave scene in the 90's ? Were there punks in the 80's ? Genuine question

Well that's my question and assumptions . This comes from working Ina Waterford factory for 20+ years with at least 60 south KK guys and that's why I'm asking . It always seemed that it was either "the Cats" or "Irish C&W ". On the nights out with the lads it was always brought back to this ...... Was there a rave scene in the 90's ? Were there punks in the 80's ? Genuine questioN

Edit : I've read this again and realised what an asshole question it is . Everyone's 18 to 25 at some stage . Apologies . Can I rephrase the question to ask what scene was good in KK when you were growing up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I see the problem Scaldy, you're talking about South Kilkenny lads. South Kilkenny is dead to me, they elect Fianna Fail fossils there.

However in Kilkenny the music scene in the 80s and 90s actually punched well above its weight. Kerbdog, Engine Alley and My Little Funhouse all emerged around the same time.
    In the 80s a good few of my friends cultivated a Cure and Smiths look.
    The pumphouse in Kilkenny seemed to the ground central for grunge, I remember seeing Lir playing grunge before anyone called it grunge.
    The Newpark Inn was also a really good music venue.

While Waterford had Sproai, Kilkenny had an Arts festival since the 70s and in the 90s and 00s youth theatre, film making and animation bloomed; Kilkenny based Cartoon Saloon are recent Academy award animation nominees.

Bickerstaff produced plays in kilkenny and launched the Cat Laughs in 95, always a great event for young people to volunteer with.

But to answer your question, there probably never has been a youth movement. College students come back to meet up with friends but they make their own scene. However I think KK is relaxed for that, the lack of delineated age settings makes for an interesting mix.

All I know is that I partied a lot around the millennium and got really pissed off when everyone started getting married and settled down, selfish pricks!

catbear wrote: »
    I see the problem Scaldy, you're talking about South Kilkenny lads. South Kilkenny is dead to me, they elect Fianna Fail fossils there.

However in Kilkenny the music scene in the 80s and 90s actually punched well above its weight. Kerbdog, Engine Alley and My Little Funhouse all emerged around the same time.
    In the 80s a good few of my friends cultivated a Cure and Smiths look.
    The pumphouse in Kilkenny seemed to the ground central for grunge, I remember seeing Lir playing grunge before anyone called it grunge.
    The Newpark Inn was also a really good music venue.

While Waterford had Sproai, Kilkenny had an Arts festival since the 70s and in the 90s and 00s youth theatre, film making and animation bloomed; Kilkenny based Cartoon Saloon are recent Academy award animation nominees.

Bickerstaff produced plays in kilkenny and launched the Cat Laughs in 95, always a great event for young people to volunteer with.

But to answer your question, there probably never has been a youth movement. College students come back to meet up with friends but they make their own scene. However I think KK is relaxed for that, the lack of delineated age settings makes for an interesting mix.

All I know is that I partied a lot around the millennium and got really pissed off when everyone started getting married and settled down, selfish pricks!

Jesus bud they were some great bands . My fault if I'd forgotten they were KK bands . You say that South KK is different (paraphrasing) . It's really the truth of my question I suppose. Is there a difference or split ? I would say that it's definitely there in Waterford . I would honestly say that the only thing people from kilmeaden to cork have in common with Waterford city people is the deise flag. So maybe it's an urban rural thing as opposed to an intercounty thing ? Anyway bud thanks for enlightening me .... Bed now and "the WHO in Dublin tomorrow " cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's definitely an urban/rural thing. Enjoy the Who, fecking jealous!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think Kilkenny has been there as much as anywhere in terms of an alternative youth culture, I suppose the one that would stand out at the moment are the skaters. I too am going to the who today, I am old, I know.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Kilkenny's youth scene mostly stems from its vibrant arts scene. As has been mentioned a massive amount of talent has come out of Kilkenny in the last 25 years in terms of music, film, animation, theatre and visual art. Kilkenny punches way above its weight in this regard and many different types of youth movements have resided within this.

If you're looking for music particularly, the rock and grunge scene in the 90's turned the city into the first stop shop outside of Dublin for record label scouts.

Youth culture in Kilkenny has been, and is, massive. As Captain Havoc mentioned, it's been there as much as anywhere.

Advertisement