Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford in the 80's . What did you enjoy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Durban poison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    im in my 50's And it seems to me that my 3 kids have not experienced the same Waterford that I did as a "young adult"..... am I wrong when I say to them it was better then or maybe I'm just turning into me dad..... What are your memories of 80's Waterford ?

I'll start ..... burgerland , the Mods , The Freewheelers, The Showboat, The Coachmans,The Wimpy and Billy , Flanagens chipper,The Regina The Savoy ( in its dying days) The Regal . Breens (mAsh and hard peas) Catch 22 in the tower ,sticky carpets stone court ,jazzing the reg on Sunday with Bruno on the drums . Gino Hearne ..... Over to you

Im afraid you are wrong and you are turning into your dad, nothing in Waterford was better in the 80s than it is now, generally speaking. The city is a far nicer place, just look at the pictures, higher standard of living, we are living longer, more opportunities etc etc. Added to that, nostalgia for things from the past, for burgers from the wimpy doesnt compare with burgers from burzza, eddie rockets etc etc. If wimpy and the likes were any good, they would be still around
    Yes im a kill joy/buzz kill on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ I'd agree with you.

^agree entirely I had a ball, but Waterford was a run down unloved looking place in the seventies and eighties no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

wellboytoo wrote: »
    ^agree entirely I had a ball, but Waterford was a run down unloved looking place in the seventies and eighties no doubt.
    Some of those buildings in that ghost town video on YouTube were like that back in the '80s.

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Some of those buildings in that ghost town video on YouTube were like that back in the '80s.

Yes but the majority of them have improved, glass more than half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

The Norris Minor listening to The Village and Neuro to name but two

1967 wrote: »
    The Norris Minor listening to The Village and Neuro to name but two
    Gerry Ryan claimed this Waterford band (Neuro) were from Dublin but they didn't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Worrying about the light bulb missing on the back of the car when the Cops stop you on the way home from the pub after eight pints!
    ...or the dodgy wiring on the ignition, had to try to explain that one a night or two at approximately 3am......:p

Fat Sams for a dinner, couldn't beat a good stew for £2.20, a quick duck into Sinnotts, got all my good tapes there, ZZ Top, Edie Brickell, David Burns, ah, memories....

A few pints watching In Tua Nua at the Bridge, a few scoops in Bobby McGees and then across to The Stand and on down to Egans.

That young guy Fitzgerald who'd shout at you in the street outside his clothes shop in Red Square. It was some kind of sales pitch. He died a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geoff35

Scaldy Ned wrote:
    im in my 50's And it seems to me that my 3 kids have not experienced the same Waterford that I did as a "young adult"..... am I wrong when I say to them it was better then or maybe I'm just turning into me dad..... What are your memories of 80's Waterford ?

The Roxy...Egans nightclub..T & Hs...

Mork from Ork jackets (jerkins).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Vanilla slices and those big doughnuts in Leahys!

Teleport v Finns.....who was the best computer games seller!

Down to Darrers to get the bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

kfallon wrote: »
    Vanilla slices and those big doughnuts in Leahys!

Teleport v Finns.....who was the best computer games seller!

Down to Darrers to get the bread!

oh those doughnuts ha!

In Leahys do you remember they had a cake with chocolate on the outside and coconut on the inside, what was it called ?

What was the name of that tiny record shop beside T&Hs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Just on a side note, theirs a great facebook page called "things you miss about waterford"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shams wrote: »
    Just on a side note, theirs a great facebook page called "things you miss about waterford"

linkage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Shams wrote: »

Thanks! Just found it. It's a closed group, have requested membership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Summer sesame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Flyers roller disco
    Telephone boxes
    The dingy arcade in the apple market where the kazbar is now.
    Sinnotts record shop opposite the cathedral
    Woolworths where pennys is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Arch Hole Records!

Patsy something owned it, he used to work in Sinnots. Can't remember his surname.
    fiachr_a wrote: »
    What was the name of that tiny record shop beside T&Hs?

Arch Hole Records!

Patsy something owned it, he used to work in Sinnots. Can't remember his surname.

Patsy Ryan, the days when you had to have condescension down to a T to work in a record shop,"you're lookin for wha?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Three local radio stations (at least) that played music until that bribe-taking, FF crook of a "minister", Burke shut down pirate radio.

Regards...jmcc

Moving statues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

deisemum wrote: »
    The Peppermint Grove, was that the disco in the Bridge Hotel?

That's the one. Many a session there great memories of Waterford in the 80's.

shockwave wrote: »
    It was the hotel bar, I remember the Bob Miller band playing in there a lot.

Don't be a snob come and see bob. I saw him regularly in the Cleaboy, is that still there?

jca wrote: »
    That's the one. Many a session there great memories of Waterford in the 80's.

And then there was the Metroland which was across the way from the Pep.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And then there was the Metroland which was across the way from the Pep.

No chance if you were a lowly student. The bloody Parkside Inn was the same they wouldn't serve students. I got fecked out of the fancy side of Paddy Brown's in 85 went back with the missus in around 91 and the bouncer wouldn't let me in! !!!

jca wrote: »
    No chance if you were a lowly student. The bloody Parkside Inn was the same they wouldn't serve students. I got fecked out of the fancy side of Paddy Brown's in 85 went back with the missus in around 91 and the bouncer wouldn't let me in! !!!

I think back in the days the Park Inn wouldn't serve students because they use to share pints and take up too much space.

How did you manage to get yourself thrown out of Paddy's? I didn't know they had bouncers on the door in 1990's.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think back in the days the Park Inn wouldn't serve students because they use to share pints and take up too much space.

How did you manage to get yourself thrown out of Paddy's? I didn't know they had bouncers on the door in 1990's.

Trying to bring a pint out with me at closing time.

Advertisement