Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn & early years development checkups

Options
  • 23-06-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello all,
    My husband and I will be moving to Ireland shortly with our almost 3 year old and 2 month old. I wanted to ask what kind of health checkup programme exists for young children, especially babies, with regards to weighings, vaccinations and measurements. We currently live in Spain where paediatric primary care is in the form of a monthly growth checkup until 6 months old and then every 3 months til a year, every 6 months til 2 years after which there is a yearly appointment wrg the paediatrician.
    I'm originally from the UK and an aware that over there children's development isn't geneerally overseen by a paediatrician but a health visitor or nurse but I've no idea if the Irish system is akin to the UK or its own unique model.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S.
    If I may, another question I have is, is there a national childbirth trust, like the NCT in the UK? My British mum friends have all told me how useful it's been as there are local NCT mum and baby groups and nearly new sales etc and makes it easier to meet other mums. Nothing like that exists here in Spain, wondered if I'd have more luck in Ireland, Galway specifically. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is virtually no well-child health checking in the Irish health system. Some people here will look at you as though you're mad for even asking about it before school age, You should enroll with a general practitioner (GP) as your family doctor when you arrive, but you are only expected to consult them when you have a health concern - not for regular monitoring. You will not see a pediatrician unless the GP refers you to one because of a specific problem.

There is no NCT. Public health nurses do provide some support for new mothers (eg in some places they run run mother-and-baby groups) - but they're general purpose nurses only, not dedicated to maternal health work, and there are not national standards re what services they run.

There is a childbirth lobby group (can't remember the name), but they are not providing individual services.

fyi, I've met some Spanish people who live here, but go home for any serious heath treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Borboleta81

There is virtually no well-child health checking in the Irish health system. Some people here will look at you as though you're mad for even asking about it before school age, You should enroll with a general practitioner (GP) as your family doctor when you arrive, but you are only expected to consult them when you have a health concern - not for regular monitoring. You will not see a pediatrician unless the GP refers you to one because of a specific problem.

There is no NCT. Public health nurses do provide some support for new mothers (eg in some places they run run mother-and-baby groups) - but they're general purpose nurses only, not dedicated to maternal health work, and there are not national standards re what services they run.

There is a childbirth lobby group (can't remember the name), but they are not providing individual services.

fyi, I've met some Spanish people who live here, but go home for any serious heath treatment.

Thanks Mrs O'Bumble.
    Gosh, that is a different stance to take. I think we might be provided private health insurance by my husband's employer. Do you know if there is any private well child programme? Also, who will oversee my son's vaccinations? The family GP?

Thank you for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks Mrs O'Bumble.
    Gosh, that is a different stance to take. I think we might be provided private health insurance by my husband's employer. Do you know if there is any private well child programme? Also, who will oversee my son's vaccinations? The family GP?

Thank you for all the info.

The Vaccinations up to 13 months are handled with the Local GP, and (starting next month) they do check-ups at 2 and 4 years. You have "Free GP Visits" for Children until they are 6 years old.

Note that the BCG vaccination is scheduled at Birth, but Galway Maternity Hospital do not do this, they deviate from National Policy, and don't really bother with it, you need to get it via a Friendly Public Health Nurse.

A later round of vaccinations (at 4 years old) are handled in Primary School.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There are early years development checks for babies, just not as frequent as outlined above.

It's something like the below, but I may be off as my mind has chosen to forget a lot of this stuff!

At birth
    At checkout from hospital
    Day 5
    Day 14
    8 weeks
    6 months
    2 years
    4 years

These later ones happen at your local public health centre.

Then you have your vaccination schedule separately with your GP. Which is free, regardless whether you have a medical card etc.

To be honest I found it more than enough. I can't imagine schlepping along to a clinic every few weeks to have the baby weighed and measured. I think all the measuring is counter-productive.

I would say though, that breastfeeding support is woejus in Ireland. Advice is all over the place and incorrect a lot of the time. It varies wildly between "as wouldn't you just give him formula?" to "breastmilk at all costs!" (even when that cost is the mother's mental health)

There's no equivalent of the NCT, but as stated before, some midwives organise these groups to meet.

Also pregnancy and birth in Ireland is horribly catered for, and if you're planning on having more children and have the option, go elsewhere. I've had two healthy pregnancies in Ireland, and honestly at times I felt non-human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

As others have said, there is no NCTrust in Ireland. The public health nurses sometimes organise meet ups for new mothers - for example June babies group, July babies group. They usually meet in local hotels- once you get settled ask your public health nurse and they might be able to link you with a group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you want baby equipment sales ( like the NCT organise) there is a sale once a month in Galway organised by Bubbly Baby Market. I think it's a private company, you can sell or buy - see their website for info (I've never been so can't comment on quality etc).
    There are local mums chat groups on rollercoaster.ie too

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Borboleta81

Thank you all for the info re baby health checks and re mum and baby groups.

Advertisement