Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig €800 budget

Options
  • 23-06-2015 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €800
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming.
    2a. Games most likely played: Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, XCom 2
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 1.5TB Hard DRive for data storage. BluRay player.
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Resolution not an issue.
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Wouldn't know how
    8. How can you pay? Credit Card, Paypal or transfer.
    9. When are you purchasing? Before Christmas
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be ok
    11. Approx size of PC case to fit shelf. Goes on a desk so can be large
    12. Additional info: Preferably something that can be easily upgraded in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    R9 280x €230
    8gb RAM €55
    1tb HDD €55
    250gb SSD €85
    H97 board €80
    Nanoxia DS3 €70

€762 I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

i5 4460 €175
    R9 280x €230
    8gb RAM €55
    1tb HDD €55
    250gb SSD €85
    H97 board €80
    Nanoxia DS3 €70

€762 I believe.

Where are you pricing from? Is hardwareversand still the go to place?

Hwvs after geizhals affiliate site yes, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Realistically if you're not buying until Christmas there's no point pricing now. You'd be better off posting the same question in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Realistically if you're not buying until Christmas there's no point pricing now. You'd be better off posting the same question in November.

Is there a good time of year to be buying PC components?
    Do prices fluctuate during the year, or is it more dependent on new components coming into the market that dictate price?
    i.e. if a new generation component comes into the market, do the older gen versions drop a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Interested in this build. If I was to upgrade monitor to 1440p in the next few months how would it handle it? (I like to game, but recreationally rather than competitively so wouldn't need anything over 60hz)

Wouldn't cut 1440p/60hz for newer games. Anything out now or before would be grand.

An R9 290/X wouldn't be much over €800, big step up for 1440p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Thanks, I'll have a ponder and might make a new thread with a few more questions rather than hijack this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm now considering simply improving my current rig.

At the moment I have

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)
    PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W
    Hard Drive: 1.5 TB Samsung
    Display: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950
    RAM: 2 x 4GB 1300MHZ DDR3

Would the r9 290 be too much for it do you think? I was thinking another 8GB RAM, an SSD and a new GPU might bring it up to date.

2500k is a grand CPU if you overclock it, won't be bottlenecking any card within reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's for gaming there's no need for more ram. You could get faster ram if you really wanted but I think you don't need to do anything there really.

An SSD would show a great performance increase (not in games mind - just in overall usage).

An r9 290 would be the main one, it would be more than twice as fast as a 6950.

You need to overclock the CPU - I really don't get the huge number of people who pay more for overclocking-specific processors but never overclock them! Get yourself a decent cooler and with a small enough overclock the 2500K is pretty much perfect for all the latest games without bottlenecking.

Advertisement