Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

traprunner wrote: »
    I'll be on my own too for the 60k

Same, I will be on my own. We will all meet people there anyway, it is party of the fun.

How early are people going? 7am is too much.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gaedheal wrote: »
    I've been looking in vain for road-closure information for the 13th. There is scant info on the Dublin Bus website about the north quays from 08:00 to 08:45. There is no info on the greatdublinbikeride website.

Where can I get proper information about road-closures and times ?
    I suspect in terms of "official" road closures that's it. However it's possible that the Gardaí may invoke some rolling/temporary closures to get large groups through certain areas. Can't imagine they would do anything for an extended period, but who knows ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Gaedheal wrote: »
    I've been looking in vain for road-closure information for the 13th. There is scant info on the Dublin Bus website about the north quays from 08:00 to 08:45. There is no info on the greatdublinbikeride website.

Where can I get proper information about road-closures and times ?

Great Dublin Bike Ride

Cycling Ireland (with Irish Sports Council) intends to close the following roads to facilitate the start of the Great Dublin Bike Ride on the date and times listed below:
    Arran Quay, Father Matthew Bridge, Inns Quay, O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Grattan Bridge, Ormond Quay Lower & Upper, Bachelors Walk, O’Connell Bridge, Eden Quay, Butt Bridge, Talbot Memorial Bridge, Custom House Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge and North Wall Quay from 07.45hrs to 08.45hrs on Sunday 13th September 2015.
    Traffic Management Plan
    • Traffic wishing to cross the Liffey during the temporary road closures on the north Quays, from 07.45 to 08.45hrs, will be diverted via Islandbridge and East Link Bridge /Port Tunnel.
    • The Gardai will temporarily manage traffic at junctions along the routes between 08.00 and 13.50 hrs.
    • Traffic diversions will apply as the race proceeds.
    • Pedestrian access will be maintained.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Traffic diversions will apply as the race proceeds.

There's that dirty word again.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    [*]The Gardai will temporarily manage traffic at junctions along the routes between 08.00 and 13.50 hrs.

This is exactly what I was expecting and it will be key that they do it smartly to ensure that the pace does not get disrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gaedheal

[QUOTE/]

Cycling Ireland (with Irish Sports Council) intends to close the following roads to facilitate the start of the Great Dublin Bike Ride on the date and times listed below:
    Arran Quay, Father Matthew Bridge, Inns Quay, O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Grattan Bridge, Ormond Quay Lower & Upper, Bachelors Walk, O’Connell Bridge, Eden Quay, Butt Bridge, Talbot Memorial Bridge, Custom House Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge and North Wall Quay from 07.45hrs to 08.45hrs on Sunday 13th September 2015.
    Traffic Management Plan
    • Traffic wishing to cross the Liffey during the temporary road closures on the north Quays, from 07.45 to 08.45hrs, will be diverted via Islandbridge and East Link Bridge /Port Tunnel.
    • The Gardai will temporarily manage traffic at junctions along the routes between 08.00 and 13.50 hrs.
    • Traffic diversions will apply as the race proceeds.
    • Pedestrian access will be maintained.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

i'd expect they won't get too insulted at a handful of people taking advantage of the closed north quays until 9am, after all it's on fully open roads from that point on.

Would you not be better off respecting the road closure for the participants of the event? Most other road users will do so. Last thing the organisers want is nuisances using the road that's officially closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

What are people planning on wearing!? Considering it looks like rain...😧

I don't have many cycle wear options, thinking I should invest beforehand.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Garthvader wrote: »
    thinking I should invest beforehand.....

Good call, think you need a new bike also

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Weather forecast :mad:

rain.jpg?format=1500w

Event forecast :D
    cycling_umbrella_falling_rain_potho.jpg

Hopefully the weather won't deter many cyclists from coming out... I'm even tempted since I just got a new bike and don't want to dirty it :pac:

• Advertisement

Garthvader wrote: »
    What are people planning on wearing!? Considering it looks like rain...😧

I don't have many cycle wear options, thinking I should invest beforehand.....

I actually invested last year in proper rain gear after it rained no stop when I cycled the Royal Canal. Expensive, but so happy with the purchase.

So I will be wearing my Lidl or Aldi cyclimg shorts, cycling jersey, maybe a fleece and the rain gear.

I also got cycling socks a few months ago and found them susprisingly good to keep your feet dry. EUR 4 in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

At the moment it looks like it might be dry at the start but will be raining by the end. This should be clearer by tomorrow evening, I'd say. Temperature isn't looking too hot either.

Can't post links, but go to the Met Eireann site, Forecasts (on the left) and then 5-Day Forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Cycling into work and had a nightmare , can anyone recommend a anywhere Dublin city centre who could do a repair job and service by tomorrow? Been to 2 shops and Tuesday is the earliest !!! Disaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Cycling into work and had a nightmare , can anyone recommend a anywhere Dublin city centre who could do a repair job and service by tomorrow? Been to 2 shops and Tuesday is the earliest !!! Disaster!!

I use two different shops depending on where I am. Neither smack bang in the city centre but might be worth a try Penny Farthings on Camden St. Lower and Freemans on Bath Avenue (beside Slatterys pub). I've dropped in without notice. Penny Farthings might be your best bet though as they have a number of mechanics on duty all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

traprunner wrote:
    I use two different shops depending on where I am. Neither smack bang in the city centre but might be worth a try Penny Farthings on Camden St. Lower and Freemans on Bath Avenue (beside Slatterys pub). I've dropped in without notice. Penny Farthings might be your best bet though as they have a number of mechanics on duty all the time.

I'm actually near enough to both , thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

gzoladz wrote: »
    I actually invested last year in proper rain gear after it rained no stop when I cycled the Royal Canal. Expensive, but so happy with the purchase.

So I will be wearing my Lidl or Aldi cyclimg shorts, cycling jersey, maybe a fleece and the rain gear.

I also got cycling socks a few months ago and found them susprisingly good to keep your feet dry. EUR 4 in Halfords.

I don't think I'd be wearing a fleece - 20 minutes of cycling in the wet and you'll be riding with the weight of all that rain/sweat!

If it's warm, I'll just go with bibshorts and a jersey with a waterproof jacket in my bag. As long as I'm not freezing, I'd rather the rain drip off/evaporate.

Sounds like it could be a bit out of your way, but Paddy in Littlecycles in Stoneybatter has pretty fast turnaround times, usually an hour to two, or overnight and picking up the following morning/lunch time depending on the work.

Also on the weather front, keep an eye on YR.no - Weather station in the Guinness brewery is saying we're going to be off to a wet enough start.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Guinness_Storehouse/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've pre-booked parking in ParkRite Smithfield Carpark if anyone wants my voucher(s).
    ~ I've one day voucher for Saturday so doesn't matter what time you check your car in, valid for one visit.
    ~ I've one day voucher for Sunday also valid for the day, again one visit.

Just pm if you want them, comp of course, and I'll send you on the voucher codes.
    Car Park Notes: How to use your pre-book voucher:
    Take a ticket on entry
    Present ticket and pre-book voucher at car park office
    If office is unattended or for any assistance - press the help/info button on any pay station, entry or exit.

Also, I would've been getting a Jersey with the number(s) I was issued which means someone else will now be able to get this too :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/After starting my HDIP this week I've found I'm in a major disadvantage to others in the class in terms of work experience/environment
    as such I won't be travelling to Dublin for the GreatDublinBikeRide. Can't take that much time off study to travel to Dublin tomorrow and return late on Sunday night. Will hopefully travel instead to Clare for a few hours tomorrow to try catch Ras na nBán.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

The bike institute on dorset street the lads are good
    http://thebikeinstitute.ie/repairs/

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

OldBean wrote: »
    Also on the weather front, keep an eye on YR.no - Weather station in the Guinness brewery is saying we're going to be off to a wet enough start.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Guinness_Storehouse/hour_by_hour.html

Is 1.4mm a lot of rain? no idea myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I've pre-booked parking in ParkRite Smithfield Carpark if anyone wants my voucher(s).
    ~ I've one day voucher for Saturday so doesn't matter what time you check your car in, valid for one visit.
    ~ I've one day voucher for Sunday also valid for the day, again one visit.

Just pm if you want them, comp of course, and I'll send you on the voucher codes.

PM sent

Is 1.4mm a lot of rain? no idea myself.

No, but if it's damp/drizzle, it's going to be unpleasant.

From another forum, and referring to the rainfall over a full day...
    Damp - up to 0.1" (2.5mm)
    Wet - up to 1" (25mm)
    Very Wet - up to 2" (50mm)
    Extremely Wet - up to 3" (75mm)
    Exceptionally Wet - over 3" (75mm)
    Once in a lifetime - over 4" (100mm)

/After starting my HDIP this week I've found I'm in a major disadvantage to others in the class in terms of work experience/environment
    as such I won't be travelling to Dublin for the GreatDublinBikeRide. Can't take that much time off study to travel to Dublin tomorrow and return late on Sunday night. Will hopefully travel instead to Clare for a few hours tomorrow to try catch Ras na nBán.

Ah that's a shame - Any chance of taking the train w/bike and studying on the way up and back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

To be honest, I wasn't entirely convinced that this was an actual "for real" event. I figured it was some sort of swizz because the organisers sounded so vague and woolie with the details. I suspect it will be a bit more coherent next time around if it is a success this weekend. I was still put off by the high price for the nature of the event. Good luck to all taking part on Sunday. Whizzing down the quays unimpeded will be a lot of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Sure there's only a couple of thousand cyclists that are going to be impeding your way :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Einstein? wrote: »
    Sure there's only a couple of thousand cyclists that are going to be impeding your way :pac:

Don't worry! Sure, won't they all be using the cycle lane no more than two abreast?

Did one of the Sky Ride things in Clare a few years back and they were able to set up road closures for the whole route. The last few kms on the way back into Ennis were great fun, barriers lining the "finishing straight" and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I've pre-booked parking in ParkRite Smithfield Carpark

If that car park is the one that I'm thinking of, its usual opening time on a Sunday is 10am. Perhaps it's opening early for the GDBR, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Maybe its just me, but driving into Smithfield on Sunday morning sounds like a bad idea. over 3000 cyclists are due to be there. The roads (along the quays) are due to be closed as well. At the very least, I would have thought traffic will be a nightmare on Sunday morning. That's assuming you can get into the car park at all.

We're cyclists, would it not be better to park a few klm away and cycle to Smithfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

check_six wrote: »
    . Whizzing down the quays unimpeded will be a lot of fun!
    there's going to be 3,000 other cyclists :) the start is going to be fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok, so I was at the Marshal meeting last night and by all accounts there is going to be enforcement of that two abreast rule. The marshals/volunteers/gardai were all told to report any messing/dangerous activity on the route once the cyclists go past the Three Arena - up to that point it's a closed road and cyclists can use the entire road, after that point they must keep on the left.

Other than Gardai on the junctions, there are also Gardai cycling with the participants and Gardai on motorbikes, Cycling Ireland have captains/leaders thrown into the mix also to keep everyone safe and keep the morale high for those who need some help or encouragement on the day.
    There seems to be a big focus on looking out for the novice riders on the route, encourage them and give them support. They are hoping that the more experienced riders will call out hazards and teach those who may not know the etiquette how to be helpful to those coming behind.
    Another big re-iteration was the fact that the roads are not officially closed after the Three Arena and the cyclists have to obey the rules of the road. The Gardai also brought home the fact that they are the only people who have the authority to stop & direct traffic - anyone else on the route can advise motorists of the event, but they can't stop them gaining access to the roads. Yes the Gardai/Marshals/Volunteers are going to be at every junction on the route but unless they can clearly see that a junction has been closed off by the Gardai, you kinda need to be prepared to stop if there is a red light - there will still be traffic on the route, the luas will be running, emergency services have to be given access if required etc, so if the volunteers/marshals/Gardai start to indicate to cyclists to stop they really have to pay attention to those instructions.

The key message last night was to make this event safe and enjoyable for everyone involved - that means the cyclists, the marshals, the residents and businesses in the areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement