Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

check_six wrote: »
    . Whizzing down the quays unimpeded will be a lot of fun!
    there's going to be 3,000 other cyclists :) the start is going to be fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok, so I was at the Marshal meeting last night and by all accounts there is going to be enforcement of that two abreast rule. The marshals/volunteers/gardai were all told to report any messing/dangerous activity on the route once the cyclists go past the Three Arena - up to that point it's a closed road and cyclists can use the entire road, after that point they must keep on the left.

Other than Gardai on the junctions, there are also Gardai cycling with the participants and Gardai on motorbikes, Cycling Ireland have captains/leaders thrown into the mix also to keep everyone safe and keep the morale high for those who need some help or encouragement on the day.
    There seems to be a big focus on looking out for the novice riders on the route, encourage them and give them support. They are hoping that the more experienced riders will call out hazards and teach those who may not know the etiquette how to be helpful to those coming behind.
    Another big re-iteration was the fact that the roads are not officially closed after the Three Arena and the cyclists have to obey the rules of the road. The Gardai also brought home the fact that they are the only people who have the authority to stop & direct traffic - anyone else on the route can advise motorists of the event, but they can't stop them gaining access to the roads. Yes the Gardai/Marshals/Volunteers are going to be at every junction on the route but unless they can clearly see that a junction has been closed off by the Gardai, you kinda need to be prepared to stop if there is a red light - there will still be traffic on the route, the luas will be running, emergency services have to be given access if required etc, so if the volunteers/marshals/Gardai start to indicate to cyclists to stop they really have to pay attention to those instructions.

The key message last night was to make this event safe and enjoyable for everyone involved - that means the cyclists, the marshals, the residents and businesses in the areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

^ none of this right

:pac:
    race mode will be switched on for Sunday, medals are waiting and Champagne will be bubbly in my second water bottle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Are they going to do a mass start, or stagger it according to anticipated time?

Einstein? wrote: »
    ^ none of this right

<Snip>

:pac:
    race mode will be switched on for Sunday, medals are waiting and Champagne will be bubbly in my second water bottle :cool:

Ahem....it's not a race!!

Four waves for starting: 8am, 8.05, 8.15, 8.25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The official Website doe have quite a lot of information on it....

"START TIMES
    Individuals will be informed of their start number by email. If you did not receive this or if you have any difficulty accessing it then you will be able to check on our website. You will also find your start pen printed on your start number – BLUE (100k), GREEN (60k).All participants will set off from Smithfield in waves as per your start number colour"

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/event/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

The key message last night was to make this event safe and enjoyable for everyone involved - that means the cyclists, the marshals, the residents and businesses in the areas.

Is the intention to use the bike path or the road out to Howth?
    The gap in middle part and end of the bike paths could be bottlenecks if using the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Oh man, good point +1

I imagine the road will be safer for such numbers? *giro d'Italia 2014 stage 3 flashbacks*

Thud wrote: »
    Is the intention to use the bike path or the road out to Howth?
    The gap in middle part and end of the bike paths could be bottlenecks if using the path.

The road is being used for the entire route as far as I'm aware.
    If you have the time before Sunday, the route is getting it's signage and road markings by the Sat evening so you could drive it and see what the story is or email the folks at GDBR to ask them to clarify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Everything will be grand. I have it on good authority, that Gaybo will be driving a lead car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Quick question. Two of my colleagues received their Cycling Ireland confirmation but have not received race numbers. Is there an email address they can email to get it forwarded?

Or can they sign on tomorrow with just the CI confirmation?

They checked the spam and junk folders in their email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

They are hoping that the more experienced riders will call out hazards and teach those who may not know the etiquette how to be helpful to those coming behind.
    I am one of these novices & I am really looking forward to Sunday.

Can somebody tell me of some of the more important parts of the etiquette please.

Rgds,

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Dancor wrote: »
    Quick question. Two of my colleagues received their Cycling Ireland confirmation but have not received race numbers. Is there an email address they can email to get it forwarded?

Or can they sign on tomorrow with just the CI confirmation?

They checked the spam and junk folders in their email account.

As per earlier post:
    Hi Eamonnator, apologies if you did not receive the email yet. Can you email info@greatdublinbikeride.ie and we will resend it to you.

Dummy wrote: »

Can somebody tell me of some of the more important parts of the etiquette please.

Rgds,

D

http://errigalcyclingclub.com/?page_id=248

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dummy wrote: »

Rgds,

D

Point out obstacles in the road. buy the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭muloc

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but driving into Smithfield on Sunday morning sounds like a bad idea. over 3000 cyclists are due to be there. The roads (along the quays) are due to be closed as well. At the very least, I would have thought traffic will be a nightmare on Sunday morning. That's assuming you can get into the car park at all.

We're cyclists, would it not be better to park a few klm away and cycle to Smithfield?

where's there free on street parking or cheap car park for the day anyone know - capel st.? will be coming from drumcondra direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

muloc wrote: »
    where's there free on street parking or cheap car park for the day anyone know - capel st.? will be coming from drumcondra direction

Free parking in Collins Barracks.

Phibsboro...the streets surrounding Dalymount park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Cycle in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Is there a map for where volunteers can park bikes?

• Advertisement

Folks there is a pick up area for the jerseys/t-shirts on Sat, you get to pick your size (subject to availability) when you sign on and collect your stuff. They are not being pre-packed into your numbered envelope/bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Is there a map for where volunteers can park bikes?

I'd imagine it will be somewhere in Smithfield Square on the day. It's not that big, and will probably be enclosed by barriers. Doubt you'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

There will be a selection of short cycling films shown in the generator hostel in Smithfield tomorrow from 4:30-6:00 for those that are interested. A selection of retro and more modern short films covering lots of different cycling disciplines and themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

traprunner wrote:
    I use two different shops depending on where I am. Neither smack bang in the city centre but might be worth a try Penny Farthings on Camden St. Lower and Freemans on Bath Avenue (beside Slatterys pub). I've dropped in without notice. Penny Farthings might be your best bet though as they have a number of mechanics on duty all the time.

Got sorted , dropped off in penny farthings and will be ready tomorrow afternoon , thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

So we've had the clothing question, now here's the eating question,

What you experienced rider gonna be eating tomorrow for dinner and Sunday morning for breakfast? Carbs carbs carbs???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I've been doing a fair bit of training for this. It's been many a year since I rode with my hands off the handle bars...

But I think I have my "Crossing the winning line first" thing down to a fine art.

Is the winner's podium high? I have a fear of heights :(

If it is, I might let someone pass me and go for second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What you experienced rider gonna be eating tomorrow for dinner and Sunday morning for breakfast? Carbs carbs carbs???

Lightish dinner and brown bread, egg and spinach for breakfast, same as any other day.

I will carry peanuts, banana and drinks, I don't think I will want to q for food.

now is not the time to experiment. Eat what you normally eat. On Sunday morning, have a breakfast (whatever you normally have or if your looking for a suggestion, porridge).

Bring a banana or two and small snacks, again want ever you normally eat.

You will NOT need energy gels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Please see below all the info you will need about food and drink replenishments at the feed stations along the
    #GDBR
    100km and 60km routes. For more information please check the participant booklet on our website
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Participant-Information-Booklet.pdf

361816.png

Great to see that Banana's got an apostrophe but jellies didn't. Must be a healthy eating strategy

• Advertisement

As far as I can recall from last night, the food stops have water and snacks (sandwiches,granola bars and bananas) the finish has pasta.

Edit...I recalled correctly. Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement