Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OldBean wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will be somewhere in Smithfield Square on the day. It's not that big, and will probably be enclosed by barriers. Doubt you'll miss it.

It was tbc (to be confirmed) last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Folks there is a pick up area for the jerseys/t-shirts on Sat, you get to pick your size (subject to availability) when you sign on and collect your stuff. They are not being pre-packed into your numbered envelope/bag.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Where?

When you get to Smithfield to sign on you'll be directed to the relevant area to pick up the tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Anyone know what's going to stop average Joe from joining the cycle in the open public roads without paying?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nothing, but obviously such a rider could not take advantage of food stops and would not get any medal. It is also possible that they could be prevented from riding on the section of road that is closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Einstein? wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going to stop average Joe from joining the cycle in the open public roads without paying?

Conscience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It'd also be pretty poor form. A lot of people put their time into organising this, and a lot more people paid to join it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Einstein? wrote: »

I have spikes on my axles ( gladiator style)ready to cut those not displaying numbers,

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

In relation to freeloaders, can't imagine that somebody that wants to do the event that much, wouldn't have just signed up. Can't see many culprits or at least not enough for us to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

In relation to freeloaders, can't imagine that somebody that wants to do the event that much, wouldn't have just signed up. Can't see many culprits or at least not enough for us to worry about.

The country carries enough freeloaders hanging it to dry without making any contribution. Those are the ones to worry about as opposed to a bunch of smarties doing the same on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 27clutch

As opposed to freeloaders I think the bigger issue are the people who missed the deadline from 1 week ago but really would like to do the cycle and can't.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

27clutch wrote: »
    As opposed to freeloaders I think the bigger issue are the people who missed the deadline from 1 week ago but really would like to do the cycle and can't.
    Deadline was always clearly shown on the website (and indeed discussed here). Organisers need to confirm numbers for refreshments, medals and the like. In addition they probably will decide how many waves to set off and at what intervals based on numbers in each of the 2 events. All the major events have a cut-off. No big deal at all in my mind. Next time hopefully people who missed out will sign up with time to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Nearly every sportive gets a couple tagging along.
    Not really worth getting worked up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

In fairness though, registration was open for ages. And it was advertised across social media, threads here and IRL. And the cut off in registration was made aware. They only have themselves to blame - there's an estimated 3,000 doing it, there's no way the organisers could have kept it open to the last minute whilst keeping the quays closed longer and volunteers out far later than they'd planned.

Hopefully it'll become a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 27clutch

I missed the deadline and it is of course my own fault. However a lot of other big cycles can leave registration open until the day before debut with higher entrance fees for late registrants

Agreed - lesson learnt but given that it's in the early stages of development a slightly more flexible registration system might have been helpful

Roll on 2016

The more flexible it is made the more people leave it until the last minute to commit and the more organisation required. An event like this should not allow people to turn up at the last minute. The Gardaí and Council were heavily involved in agreeing some of the fine detail here and I doubt would have lent their support if there was going to be uncertainty over final numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Got my number. It opened earlier than 10. Not many people yet so all was done very efficiently.

Good few friendly stewards helping around.

Not many stalls though, maybe a few more will get added.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Just picked pack up. Very easy process. No need for ID and I picked up 3 packs

Starting to get busy. Jersey sizes seem on the small side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

frogstar wrote: »
    Just picked pack up. Very easy process. No need for ID and I picked up 3 packs

Starting to get busy. Jersey sizes seem on the small side

A standard medium these days would be a tad loose on me put the Jersey I picked up this morning is perfect. So id say you're right on the erring towards a smaller fit.

See sense lights have a stall there too and you can pick up a full front rear kit for 100 euro which is basically half price.

I knew I should have left my wallet at home. Oh and there is a cash machine in the Fresh store at the top of the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Me wifey says Small is very loose on her, she is usually between XS and S. She took a medium for me instead, I'm between M and L, will report once I try it on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I'd say the sizing is about normal, or a size smaller than those of our German supermarket friends.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Didn't think the organisation was great, no one showing people where to go, I ended up having to queue 3 times.

Queue for t-shirt, queue for rest of "goodie" bag, queue for number.

Anyway happy to get it sorted out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Got sorted early enough too then went for coffee. Jersey is nice. Snug but nice. Same fit as the Tour of Meath jerseys. Goodie bag grand too. I'm part of the bike for life program so got a buff and another water bottle. Spin11 were there selling off stock jerseys at €15 - had a few from big cycles (ROK2014/cycle4life) and then some other club gear too! Didn't buy any.

Could have done with an extra few stalls, but as it's the first year it's only small. Hopefully the event continues next year and grows on its success. Nice atmosphere around Smithfield and I'm looking forward to it now I have to say.

Hoping to do the 100 but may take the left at the 60 if I'm in too much pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

adrian522 wrote: »
    Didn't think the organisation was great, no one showing people where to go, I ended up having to queue 3 times.

Queue for t-shirt, queue for rest of "goodie" bag, queue for number. Seems needlessly complicated.

Guess it depends on the individual volunteer but a bit of friendliness wouldn't go astray.

Anyway happy to get it sorted out early.

I thought it was very well done. Reminded me of a departures area in an airport.
    They had one row of "tents" divided into smaller sections. Each one had a number range sign above it. I went to 2500-3000 or something like that, being 2507 and got my envelope fairly quickly, and then got sent down to the end tent were I picked up my Jersey.

Not really sure why you would have needed someone to tell you where to go tbh? :confused:

Least you got sorted though! That's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Thick question, but what are you supposed to attach the number to? Bars or saddle?

Edit: never mind, I see the ref in the information pack to handlebars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought it was very well done. Reminded me of a departures area in an airport.
    They had one row of "tents" divided into smaller sections. Each one had a number range sign above it. I went to 2500-3000 or something like that, being 2507 and got my envelope fairly quickly, and then got sent down to the end tent were I picked up my Jersey.

Not really sure why you would have needed someone to tell you where to go tbh? :confused:

Least you got sorted though! That's the main thing!

Well because there lines of people everywhere and I didn't know which one to join.

Not a big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Nah, I'm not having it, the registration was smoothly and efficiently run. By cheerful volunteers. There are no negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Jerseys are just a tad larger than expected. Quality is ok, but the full zipper looks it is going to jam forever on the third ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Registered and collected everything in five minutes.
    One of the better organised registrations I've been too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well because there lines of people everywhere and I didn't know which one to join.

Not a big deal but it could be more efficient.

There were massive signs listing who should queue where, arranged by number!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement