Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well because there lines of people everywhere and I didn't know which one to join.

Not a big deal but it could be more efficient.

The number range was directly above each queue.

Zips on the tops look to be very poor quality, more likely to find on a small child's purse rather than a cycling top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just home from the Big Smoke. I registered at about 11.00am. I thought everything was very efficient. Jersey is lovely. i tried mine on, there and then, so no problem with fit.
    While I was wandering around, I was approached twice by volunteers, asking if I needed assistance. I'm not sure, if that was because I looked feeble or lost.
    All of the helpers were very friendly.
    Unfortunately, nobody was prepared to guarantee good weather for tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

sullivlo wrote: »
    There were massive signs listing who should queue where, arranged by number!
    ted1 wrote: »
    The number range was directly above each queue.

Zips on the tops look to be very poor quality, more likely to find on a small child's purse rather than a cycling top.

Fair enough, I'm obviously a bit stupid, blind or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Fair enough, I'm obviously a bit stupid, blind or something.

Now watch for those road signs and instructions tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

I was there at around 12ish I think, I expected bigger crowds but it was rather empty for 3000 ppl that signed up for the ride. So no queues, got the jersey was done in 10 min or less. Now looking forward for tomorrow and fingers crossed for the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So you guys only had to queue up once then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Just home from the Big Smoke. I registered at about 11.00am. I thought everything was very efficient. Jersey is lovely. i tried mine on, there and then, so no problem with fit.
    While I was wandering around, I was approached twice by volunteers, asking if I needed assistance. I'm not sure, if that was because I looked feeble or lost.
    All of the helpers were very friendly.
    Unfortunately, nobody was prepared to guarantee good weather for tomorrow.

Did the have a radio in their ear?

Did the have a radio in their ear?

Didn't notice. You?

Didn't notice. You?

Probably. There were two of us floating outside the tents trying to help people get to the right place and answer their queries. One guy and one girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Anyone got any legit info on food/drinks that will be provided at start line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Einstein? wrote: »
    Anyone got any legit info on food/drinks that will be provided at start line?

The emails all stated that no food / water will be provided at the start and to bring your own.

Probably. There were two of us floating outside the tents trying to help people get to the right place and answer their queries. One guy and one girl.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So you guys only had to queue up once then?

Wouldn't call it a Q, I had to walk up to Two desks. One for blue bag and number the other for the top

Thank you.

#Heretohelp

ted1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't call it a Q, I had to walk up to Two desks. One for blue bag and number the other for the top

Nice one, I queued for the T-shirt, then again for contents of goodie bag, water bottle, seat cover, some random thing I cant figure out what it is and then again for the number.

Still didn't take too long so no problem with it. Less than 15 mins in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Nice one, I queued for the T-shirt, then again for contents of goodie bag, water bottle, seat cover, some random thing I cant figure out what it is and then again for the number.

Still didn't take too long so no problem with it. Less than 15 mins in total.

Frisbee. It's a frisbee.

OK, would have been a while figuring that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

I didn't get a frisbee! Looking forward to this tomorrow, the Jersey is quite nice. Picked myself up a cheap Rain Jacket at one of the stalls cause unfortunately it doesn't look too nice tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 squimo

I signed on for myself and my friend. Two separate queues and then a third for the top. I spent no longer than 30 seconds at each . Top notch volunteers, very helpful and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Didn't get a frisbee either.

Jersey looks good, but wouldn't be a fan of the feel of the fabric.

Found it completely painless to sign up, and way faster than I thought. Didn't think a whole pile of the expo, hopefully it'll be bigger tomorrow.

Weather still damp to rainy for the morning, according to YR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Got my pack at around 9:30 this morning and all very straight forward and well organised. Nice bit of a buzz around the area. My two young lads love the frisbee and the 'hat' - aka a saddle cover :-)
    It's still looking like the rain might keep off till midday or so, but temperatures might not get above around 13 or 14 degrees.

I'm thinking either the long sleeve jersey + lightweight (i.e paper thin) rain jacket if necessary or else short sleeve jersey + base layer. Not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

So who's actually going to wear their GDBR jersey tomorrow? Haven't done a bike race like this before so not sure what the etiquette is!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

new2tri wrote: »
    So who's actually going to wear their GDBR jersey tomorrow? Haven't done a bike race like this before so not sure what the etiquette is!?

If u don't wear it tomorrow, when will u wear it?

I am for one, but I'm not taking part in a race.
    My problem is deciding what to wear underneath the jersey.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wear it if you want. Wear something else if you like. This is a cycle event for all. Above all else it's about participating and no-one should feel pressurised to follow some etiquette that only a very small minority take seriously in any sense. Similarly riders should not feel intimidated should they choose to wear a yellow jersey or replica pro gear for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    I didn't get a frisbee! Looking forward to this tomorrow, the Jersey is quite nice. Picked myself up a cheap Rain Jacket at one of the stalls cause unfortunately it doesn't look too nice tomorrow.

I'd say the folks on that stall (Regatta Great Outdoors?) are currently jumping into a swimming pool full of cash that they made this morning. For the 20 or so minutes that I was there fluting about they must have put about 600e through the till, mostly those yellow water proof jackets :D

I'll be wearing mine. Why not? Probably one of the few times I will wear it.

Plus more chance I'll make the 6:00 news when I come a strategic second, possibly third with the most awesome victory/cross the line stuff I have been practising.

That or the fact I'll come off my bike a skid over the line face first :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I asked for the biggest Jersey they had when I went over at 5pm this evening.
    Got an XL one.
    It's very tight, too tight.
    I might wear it as a base layer tomorrow.
    Maybe next year get XXl jerseys.
    Us but lads need clothes that fit too.

I asked for the biggest Jersey they had when I went over at 5pm this evening.
    Got an XL one.
    It's very tight, too tight.
    I might wear it as a base layer tomorrow.
    Maybe next year get XXl jerseys.
    Us but lads need clothes that fit too.

They had xxl jerseys they went earlier in the day as they were kinda popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Best of luck to everyone taking part tomorrow

A few Points:

1. Its NOT a race!
    2. Check you bike this evening. Pump the tyres and make sure its in good working order.
    3. Lay out everything your bringing tomorrow and make sure you have everything.
    4. Be safe!..point to obstacles on the road (potholes etc.) so other riders dont hit them.
    5. if its your first time doing a 100k mass participation event, remember to take it at your own pace and dont be tempted to try and hang on with the guys doing 40K along the quays!

What to wear on the day? These are my suggestions..

1. Helmet! no Helmet, No ride!
    2. Glasses (Im wearing clear lenses)
    3. Baselayer
    4. L/s or S/S Jersey (bring arm warmers if you go the s/s option)
    5. Bib Shorts
    6. Knee Warmers
    7. Socks
    8. Shoes
    9. Overshoes (light ones, not neoprene as they will be too warm)
    10. Light Rain jacket

Other essentials:

1. Spare inner tubes (Prefferably two)
    2. Tyre levers/multitool
    3. Mini Pump
    4. Mobile Phone
    5. Some Money
    6. A snack bar or two
    7. A 500ml bottle of water or whatever your used to drinking while cycling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement