Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

sullivlo wrote: »
    Frisbee. It's a frisbee.

They also double up as a fan when ya get too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Signed on a little after 10.30 this morning.

Took me no longer than 3 seconds to figure out where to go.

Took me no longer than 3 second to sign on and then went to collect jersey.

In and out in a few minutes.

Sorry I put 2.50 into the parking meter! :D Or perhaps I should have cycled down!

Very well organized, very friendly and helpful volunteers.

Seems to be run like a well lubricated groupset.

Well done to all involved.

My only minor niggle is not all of the stalls were set up by the time I was leaving, meaning I didn't depart with more of my hard earned cash! :D

See yis in the morning leg shavers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Registered very quickly at about 10.15. The number ranges above the quest were great but we're missing at the jersey/t-shirt collection and it was a little bit of a mess due to people being in the wrong queue. They may have sorted that later. Although the process was quite easy.

There were only 3 or 4 tents with stuff for sale. I was expecting more but then it was only the first year so I'd expect many more next year.

I have to say all the volunteers were excellent and very friendly.

I asked for the biggest Jersey they had when I went over at 5pm this evening.
    Got an XL one.
    It's very tight, too tight.
    I might wear it as a base layer tomorrow.
    Maybe next year get XXl jerseys.
    Us but lads need clothes that fit too.

I got an XXL Jersey. Weird fit. very loose on top and tight on bottom and no my belly is not huge compared to me check :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Where are people parking tomorrow ?

• Advertisement

The jersey collection section took a while to find its rhythm. Because some people were collecting on behalf of friends and the numbers were all spread out so we had to create a multi pick up line so that those picking up a single jersey could be dealt with quicker. At one point today one cyclist was collecting obo 27 other participants so you can imagine his wait to get sorted.
    Queue management also had to be implemented based on the fact that some people were unable to stand in a fecking queue, others were queuing with bikes, buggies and little people in a pretty small area and you had the small few who just didn't listen and then grumbled about being in the wrong place.
    By 11am most of the issues were ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Registration was quick and painless.

A couple of questions though...

How do we know what wave we're in?
    What time are you all aiming to be down there at?
    What's the bag tag for? - Can we bring a bag to the start line and it'll still be there when we're finished?

Enjoy the ride everyone. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

Whats the best way to cycle in to the starting pen tomorrow ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I'm aiming to arrive at around 7:20, time to figure out pens, drop bag etc.

Don't know the wave, I'm sure it will be obvious.

I'm guessing you can drop a bag at the start and pick it up at the end.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Registration was quick and painless.

A couple of questions though...

How do we know what wave we're in?
    What time are you all aiming to be down there at?
    What's the bag tag for? - Can we bring a bag to the start line and it'll still be there when we're finished?

Enjoy the ride everyone. Thanks!

First come first served on the waves - they open at 7am. Last wave leaves at .8.25
    There is a baggage storage area available tomorrow which is being guarded by the same volunteers that were at registration today and some security staff.

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    Whats the best way to cycle in to the starting pen tomorrow ?

Access is via north king street.

Beasty wrote: »
    Wear it if you want. Wear something else if you like. This is a cycle event for all. Above all else it's about participating and no-one should feel pressurised to follow some etiquette that only a very small minority take seriously in any sense. Similarly riders should not feel intimidated should they choose to wear a yellow jersey or replica pro gear for example.

I wear a yellow jersey out at times. Do I give a crap? No! So far only one guy shouted something at me. I was going the opposite direction. Even if I had heard him I wouldn't have cared less. I might wear it tomorrow to wind people up if they get annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Any of ye lads thinking of forming a breakaway group at the quays? ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Einstein? wrote: »

I'll be giving it a bit of a lash. Possibly a very small lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'll be giving it a bit of a lash. Possibly a very small lash.

Yeah in the 60k. I'll be the guy winning* in the yellow jersey :D

*winning defined as well back but not quite last

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I went for the XL jersey but find it's sizing very big for me so think ill skip wearing it tomorrow. Might even risk the gabba or boards defender given it looks like raining for pretty much the whole event. Not sure my summer jerseys and €5 lidl yellow light plastic thingy will hold up to that kinda weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Weather is looking a little better. But still wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone know what time it will be finished in Baldoyle. I need to go somewhere tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Crocked wrote: »
    Might even risk the gabba or boards defender given it looks like raining for pretty much the whole event.

Go for it. I dug the Gabba (SS) out from the back of the press this morning for the first time since last Spring. Wet day on cycle I did, grand when moving but was shivering like mad on the food stops. Being cold is no fun,bring out the big guns if you have them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

new2tri wrote: »
    So who's actually going to wear their GDBR jersey tomorrow? Haven't done a bike race like this before so not sure what the etiquette is!?

Good luck in the (ahem) 'race'
    Just enjoy it and worry most about getting around in your own time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

6am up. Remember that participants make 90% of the event so let's do all our part to make it a success.

Go out, enjoy, look after yourself and your fellow cyclists.

Best of luck to everyone!

Good luck everyone. Hope we all have a great day.

I've decided that I'll definitely year yelliow (with black sleeves). So keep an eye out for me. :D

Collins barracks still has a lot of spaces. Most sat navs are sending people to the entrance at the luas track which isn't accessible. Instead of that turn get back on the quays, take the second left, then the second left. The entrance is in darkness but there are a few cones outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Does the race number go on the front or the back?

Does the race number go on the front or the back?

Back

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Living in smithfield. Whoever thought the guy on a tannoy from 8am calling out place names in Ireland was a good idea, thank you and well done. I may never cycle again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I had been planning a few more unproductive hours sleeping. What to do with the extra free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Yillan wrote: »
    Living in smithfield. Whoever thought the guy on a tannoy from 8am calling out place names in Ireland was a good idea, thank you and well done. I may never cycle again

It's grand sure, you can have a lie in the other 364 days of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

bazermc wrote: »
    It's grand sure, you can have a lie in the other 364 days of the year

Some of us have to sit in an office and pretend to work most of those days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement