Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

psinno wrote: »
    Some of us have to sit in an office and pretend to work most of those days.

Same difference as a lie in then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

That was really great. Fair play to the organisers, volunteers and especially the Gardai.

More later, but I'm off for a fry.

Really enjoyed the 60km. Had company from number 580 for much of the first half. I went in to feed and he went on. Although I did manage to catch up and he crossed the finish before me. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him there and he disappeared. If you post here, nice to meet you.

Really happy with my average speed of 27.3kph. It's my highest so far. 2:11:55 moving time.

I struggled with twitching calves from the 50km mark but struggled through.

The volunteers and gardai were brilliant. Really hope this event becomes annual.

70km total today and that is by far the furthest I have ever cycled in a day (or three).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Amazing event. Did the 60k in 2h 40min which I am happy with given that I ride a city bike, 8 hub gears.

The volunteers, organizers and gardai were fab. Traffic management was brilliant, I only had to stop at 1 traffic light as we were let go in all the others (not sure if motorists would agree with this though).

I loved the route but I nearly cried when I saw that bridge 3km before the finish line. I had little legs left for that climb.

I was lucky enough to pick the right cloths and the fleece globes I threw in the pannier last minute feally helped me in the first few kms.

All in all, had a great time, thanks.

gzoladz wrote: »
    I loved the route but I nearly cried when I saw that bridge 3km before the finish line. I had little legs left for that climb.

That was a shock and I had blanked it from my mind. Thanks! :P

• Advertisement

The folks organising it and Gardai did a spectacular job alright. Gardai in particular were great, so accommodating and meant for closed roads 80-90% of the ride. Great to see them riding the whole route too.

I managed the 60km in 2:15 which included two mechanicals after the little yellow steel speed bumps just before the second stop snapped my mudguard stays and sent them into my derailleur. If the route was the same again next time, something placed over those speed bumps would be much appreciated!

Weather was mostly ok too, damp but only a bit of drizzle and showers, great atmosphere at the finish line. Saw a few Boards jerseys at the start of the race, but reckon everyone was covered up by the end.

Also... the amount of punctures!?! Seriously, there must have been someone down every 100m or so. Was great seeing so many people helping, but I was shocked to see so many people down.

OldBean wrote: »
    The folks organising it and Gardai did a spectacular job alright. Gardai in particular were great, so accommodating and meant for closed roads 80-90% of the ride. Great to see them riding the whole route too.

I managed the 60km in 2:15 which included two mechanicals after the little yellow steel speed bumps just before the second stop snapped my mudguard stays and sent them into my derailleur. If the route was the same again next time, something placed over those speed bumps would be much appreciated!

Weather was mostly ok too, damp but only a bit of drizzle and showers, great atmosphere at the finish line. Saw a few Boards jerseys at the start of the race, but reckon everyone was covered up by the end.

Also... the amount of punctures!?! Seriously, there must have been someone down every 100m or so. Was great seeing so many people helping, but I was shocked to see so many people down.

Those ramps were really harsh. Next year they could remove a segment of them as I believe they are bolted into the road.

I counted 7 punctures by the time I got to Clontarf. It was a bit shocking. The roads looked clear to me so I don't know what caused them.

I definitely counted more than that, I easily saw 10 on the quays alone, probably the same again along the initial coast stretch. The roads were grand, I think it was just people not taking care of their bikes. Shame if it slowed down their ride, someone elses ride or their groups ride though.

One guy was running ancient 23's and had had 2 punctures by the first stop...!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Really enjoyable day, weather was grand.

I found it a bit congested for the first 40km or so (first time riding in a group). Really enjoyed it, came home in about 3 and a half hours I think.

traprunner wrote: »
    I counted 7 punctures by the time I got to Clontarf. It was a bit shocking. The roads looked clear to me so I don't know what caused them.

I was going to mention that too. A significant number of participants with mechanical problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

There were punctures everywhere.Even when we left the city and got out into the country proper there was people on the side of the road fixing flats.I spin around these roads every week of the year and very rarely see punctures,havent had 1 myself in 3 years,touch woo!.Maybe as another poster said,bad preparation by riders.
    Garda and organisers and volunteer marshals did great work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Good day out, can't fault it. I was waved through the last junction only for some empty head in a car pay no attention to Garda and Marshals forcing him to jam on and miss me by one foot.
    Needless to say I wasn't very pleasant towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

That was my first cycling event and it was fantastic. Delighted with my time of less than 3 hours in the 60k, considering I was on a big heavy hybrid.

A bike well done and thank you to the organisers, volunteers and Gardai who kept everything running smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Good day out on the bike,was one of the first away at the start line,managed to stay with the lead group for about 30k but then I got dropped and spent a good bit of time on my own

Big well done to every one that helped out was very well organised

Seen one lad hit the ground in that industrial estate in blanch ,girl in front had dropped her water bottle and it sent him spilling .He jumped up quick so I hope he was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Great experience overall, everything felt smoothly organised and the marshals were great with the encouragement. Well done and thanks to all the volunteers!
    Gardai in particular were great, so accommodating and meant for closed roads 80-90% of the ride. Great to see them riding the whole route too.
    Best moment for me was a guard on his garda mountain bike whizzing past me on the Garristown descent, in full aero tuck position.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Great cycle, very well organiser and as said above the Gardai did a great job, the volunteers were everywhere too!

Saw a single orange boards Jersey around the 50k mark but that was it.

First time cycling anything above 60k in one day so very pleased, tired legs now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Enjoyed that. Thought it was congested enough at points and as said the amount of punctures was unreal at the start but fair play to the organiser's it went smooth all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Very well organised , plenty of Garda and volunteers, did 100 k at 27 kph, not bad for fat and fifty, just as well the first 20 or so sets of red traffic lights could be ignored legally !

Someone set up a Strava segment for the whole 60km and I have the KOM! :eek:

It was the yellow jersey I'm telling ya! Dress like a winner...

I'm just waiting for everyone else to turn off their privacy settings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Just in from the 100 km. The whole day was 116k door to door for me. My previous longest cycle was about 50kms so I'm absolutely delighted :D brilliant organisation and a great day all round. We even got decent weather for the most part. I'll definitely be signing up for .ore big spins.

• Advertisement

Someone set up a Strava segment for the whole 60km and I have the KOM! :eek:

It was the yellow jersey I'm telling ya! Dress like a winner...

I'm just waiting for everyone else to turn off their privacy settings. :)

Or upload!

Currently not too far behind you at all ;-)

Edit; Also, Strava Flyby's are a lot of fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Those ramps were really harsh. Next year they could remove a segment of them as I believe they are bolted into the road.

I got a puncture, I noticed lots of glass towards the start in the cobbles where the Garda Van was parked just before the quays, really surprised that they didn't clean the streets there. I thought the Gardai and volunteers did a great job at the junctions and the load supporters increased my average speed.

For the next one I have some suggestion.
    Get the Gardai road bikes or even electric bikes, felt sorry for them.
    Cut out the part that goes past the sports council, the bumps are lethal as was the mic in the road making the surface slippy.
    I would have liked a sprint finish, move it off the cobbles.
    Finally I made the mistake of cycling in , so clicked up just under 140 with the hardest part at the end in the rain.

Saw some one take a fall just behind the 4 courts going along the Luas line, hope was OK

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

The Strava Fly by is class! I'd post a print screen but I'm not allowed yet.

jober wrote: »

Seen one lad hit the ground in that industrial estate in blanch ,girl in front had dropped her water bottle and it sent him spilling .He jumped up quick so I hope he was ok

I saw that too, same location. The guy was behind me and I hrard the noise. Didnt see the bottle but a black car stopped just behind him. I thought the car had hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

That was brilliant !!! Did the 60km in 2 hours 28 mins which included being stuck behind a coach at about 10km per hour for 10 minutes out at the airport. First time doing this sort of thing, loved every minute.

Saw a girl have a bad fall just before the sands hotel in portmarnock , some clown shot out in her car causing her to jam on and she hit the deck, looked a sore one

ted1 wrote: »
    I got a puncture, I noticed lots of glass towards the start in the cobbles where the Garda Van was parked just before the quays, really surprised that they didn't clean the streets there. I thought the Gardai and volunteers did a great job at the junctions and the load supporters increased my average speed.

For the next one I have some suggestion.
    Get the Gardai road bikes or even electric bikes, felt sorry for them.
    Cut out the part that goes past the sports council, the bumps are lethal as was the mic in the road making the surface slippy.
    I would have liked a sprint finish, move it off the cobbles.
    Finally I made the mistake of cycling in , so clicked up just under 140 with the hardest part at the end in the rain.

I think the Gardai were enjoying it tbh.

It was a little bit annoying to be overtaken by the bloke on the electric bike just after the first stop. I know I shouldn't be annoyed, but it kinda defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This volunteer has lost her voice from warning cyclists of the fecking slippy incline after the finish. Apologies to anyone I shouted at we had some topples when people stopped at the bottom for a chat and caused congestion.

I flagged the glass yesterday with the organisers...Dublin City on a Sat night is going to produce broken glass. Guess they ignored me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Good morning out.. 110k in all.. Just back to Smithfield before the rain. Marshaling and food stops were great! Tried to do a quick grab of a bar at the aquatic centre but dropped it, shame!!

Some amount of punctures in the first 30k I noticed and the amount of idiots on the wrong side of the road forcing oncoming traffic to stop..
    Well done to the guards doing the 100k on those heavy bikes!

But good over all maybe wouldnt do it again at 40 euro..

Or upload!

Currently not too far behind you at all ;-)

Edit; Also, Strava Flyby's are a lot of fun to watch.

Yeah. I was just thinking about the uploads. I'll enjoy my first KOM for the short time I have it. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just home. I did the 100Km.
    What marvellous organisation, it was fantastic. The Gardai, marshals, volunteers at start and finish were great.
    I understand, that about 3,200 took part, pretty evenly divided between 60K and 100K.
    I have never seen so many Gardai on duty at a cycling event, they seemed to be everywhere. The marshals did a great job. There was no junction, that was not manned.
    There was a great atmosphere at the finish. Pasta at the finish was lovely.
    I hope this becomes an annual event. If it does the organisers have set themselves a very high standard to uphold.
    Well done to all concerned.
    And well worth the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement