Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OldBean wrote: »
    Saw him finish with a good time. Commentator referred to it as a "fixer" :pac:

It was a single speed. Saw him freewheeling.

Also no lid and no numbers....hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

sullivlo wrote: »
    One of the girls in our club got knocked off her bike by a car. Bike totalled. Think she's okay - just shook. She went home in the van.

Hope she's ok and back on a bike soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My Garmin crashed as I entered Smithfield at the end of the 100 route, so no stats! Grrrr! Anyway...great event and well done to everyone who completed the route

EDIT: Managed to recover it!...phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

sullivlo wrote: »
    One of the girls in our club got knocked off her bike by a car. Bike totalled. Think she's okay - just shook. She went home in the van.

Was she hit about 40km in at the top of a hill? Orange helmet? I passed her I think. Hope no one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Saw the guy on the fixed alright. He seemed to be struggling up a lot of the hills but he was doing them none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

A really enjoyable day out. Only able for the 60 and thankful to be able to do that following an ankle break about 6 months back. It was my first time using cleats since and no major issues.

I thought the organisation (from my perspective as a rider) was superb. The Garda presence was really, really helpful and there wasn't a junction I came up on that I wasn't waved through.

Had one puncture early on but no trouble from there on in.

Hopefully it becomes a regular fixture and grows and grows (Smithfield won't be much use for more than 5000 though) as these sort of things tend to get even better with time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Any of the newspapers or broadcast media covering it?

Any of the newspapers or broadcast media covering it?

I saw a couple of TV cameras but no idea what company or if they were private hire to the event organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On a side note. When I finished today, I collected my bag from the luggage area.
    I found a secluded spot, behind some trees and changed clothes. As I was leaving the enclosed area, I was stopped by a security officer. He asked to see my wrist band, he checked, that the number on my wrist band matched the number on my bike, before allowing me go on my way.
    Well done that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Thanks to all the volunteers, while it seems that maybe they weren't looked after as well as they should from the volunteers post earlier, from a participants view point they couldn't have been better. Every junction manned by friendly volunteers and Gardai. Serious qudos to the Gards doing the route on those bike, they must have weighed twice as much as most of the bikes the rest of us were on.

I think there was every type of bike imaginable out there today, from recumbent, tandems, superbikes and classics. Looked like there were a lot of riders who were probably out for the first time at an event like this and hopefully they'll have been encouraged now to try other one's. I didn't see any large trains or clubs hammering along until after the food stop when I got into a nice one myself after things had thinned out after the first foodstop, only for us to be passed by a bigger one lead out by Lucan that we all jumped onto, must have been about 50 in it until it broke up going through the NSC . This probably made it nicer for all those people who wouldn't normally sign up for a sportive ran by a club and wouldn't be used to getting passed at speed etc.

There was also a lot more women on this event then I'd normally see so it seems that the organisers may have tapped into a untapped market.

Like others said it was a bit shocking seeing so many punctures, seemed at times you couldn't go 100 mtrs without passing one, also a lot of dropped chains.

Hopefully this will become an annual event. I'm sure the organisers will have a debrief with all concerned and make improvements for next year, but to be honest they seemed to pretty much nail it first time out.

Finally even the long forecasted rain didn't make an appearance until I was on my way home and even then it was only a light shower

Jut remembered that near the NSC at one of the roundabouts there seemed to be someone taken into an ambulance on a stretcher, fire brigade etc in attendance. Hopefully it's nothing too nasty and they'll be back on the bike shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Had a really great day and thought it was very very well organised. Did the 100 in just under 4 hours. However I had decided I was going to cycle home to Greystones after it. Have to say I found that mentally very hard when everyone was finished and having something to eat or getting into cars and heading home and I had another 35kms to go. Then just as I crossed the East Link the rain started. It was some of the worst rain I've ever seen on the bike and continued pretty much all the way. 135kms done and my second longest cycle ever though so very happy. Being on holidays for the next 3 weeks also helps though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

I finished just behind Boards jersey #2294..... the only one I saw all day tbf.

Fantastic event. Finished in 3hr 45mins. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

Had a really great day and thought it was very very well organised. Did the 100 in just under 4 hours. However I had decided I was going to cycle home to Greystones after it. Have to say I found that mentally very hard when everyone was finished and having something to eat or getting into cars and heading home and I had another 35kms to go. Then just as I crossed the East Link the rain started. It was some of the worst rain I've ever seen on the bike and continued pretty much all the way. 135kms done and my second longest cycle ever though so very happy. Being on holidays for the next 3 weeks also helps though!

I was in the same boat, going from and back to Dun Laoghaire after the ride. Got soaked from Sandymount. But better that than all 125km in rain. Last 25km were the toughest but I was surprised how fast the first 65km went by. Never seen so many punctures especially one poor cyclist that got one maybe 500m after the start.

I also never seen so many fancy bikes with very squeaky chains :)

That was my longest spin up to date and it pushed me to the limit have to say, but panadol and 1hr nap after made me fresh and as new, and I even got a medal in the end!

So I should ask - what's next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I've just gone through everyone's posts and I am so glad that they are all positive feedback. This is such a stark contrast to some of the snobs on this forum that were writing it off, in particular those that were peed off with how they managed it and organized it prior to the event. Nothing could be further from the truth, as everyone's enjoyment of the event is a testament to the superb effort that was put in by event hosts, volunteers and Garda (who for once are getting some good press, class act boys!).

My experience:(I was the guy with the black & yellow boardman bike... couldn't miss it)
    • I thought the turn out was excellent given the poor weather forecast, great to see so many groups traveling in towards Smithfield on my way in.
    • I did not have to stop once for red lights in all of the 100k thanks to Garda presence.
    • Volunteers where everywhere, cheerful, friendly and helpful. Mechanics however, I only used the Wheel Worx van which I appreciated but more mechanics were needed in my opinion.
    • I got a puncture three times, yes... three times, the first at Malahide which took me 30 minutes to sort out as no one would stop to give me a lend of a pump until a kind hearted gent doing the 60k did (thanks bro, and thanks to the civilian also who stopped and also helped me). Puncture number #2 and #3 got sorted quicker later on, #3 I got a tube from the Wheel Worx guy in the van.
    • I had some eejit doing the 60k give out sh!te to me when I overtook him on his right on a descent, the poor bugger was going mad slow almost on the middle of the road - keep straight and into the left if you're going to do that!!
    • I thought the food stop at 60 odd km was a bit far for people doing the 100k. I saw many struggling when I was catching up, perhaps an earlier feed might have kept them on the saddle for longer.
    • The food stop at 87 km (?) was silly plain and simple, and the propaganda of passing through that sports complex which looked sh!te to be honest was not needed. A food stop at 40k, followed by a larger feed at 70-80km would have made more sense to me considering most people were doing 100km for the first time.
    • That bridge.. :eek:
    • The cobbles at the start/end were a very minor detail, and yes there was plenty of punctures around but I thought the weather blew in lots of sand onto the roads - particularly in first 30km.
    • Pasta at end was really nice although I stuffed myself at the previous with those muffins :D

26.0 kph average. Looking at my fly-by is soul-destroying... going from the front of the blue pack to the back of the greenies and then playing catch up :mad:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/391266341

All in all, great event, delighted it went down well without any significant drawbacks - organizers should be happy reading these comments. Worth EUR 40? Yes, but would have been nice to have gotten more goodies in the goody bag and food at the start. Didn't even pay attention to the expo so no comment on that.. I was only there to cycle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

omri wrote: »
    I was in the same boat, going from and back to Dun Laoghaire after the ride. Got soaked from Sandymount. But better that than all 125km in rain. Last 25km were the toughest but I was surprised how fast the first 65km went by. Never seen so many punctures especially one poor cyclist that got one maybe 500m after the start.

I also never seen so many fancy bikes with very squeaky chains :)

That was my longest spin up to date and it pushed me to the limit have to say, but panadol and 1hr nap after made me fresh and as new, and I even got a medal in the end!

So I should ask - what's next ?
    You know what's next. 200. Go on, do it!:)

Came back in to remove my post, which I thought was a buzzkill, but since it's had a bunch of thanks, I'll leave it.

Apart from the glitches, which were the kind of things that come from it being the first-ever event, I think, it was great - people were obviously having a wonderful time, loving cycling, and there was something magical about the whirring of perfectly tuned bikes well ridden coming past, wave after wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Came back in to remove my post, which I thought was a buzzkill, but since it's had a bunch of thanks, I'll leave it.

Apart from the glitches, which were the kind of things that come from it being the first-ever event, I think, it was great - people were obviously having a wonderful time, loving cycling, and there was something magical about the whirring of perfectly tuned bikes well ridden coming past, wave after wave.

These things happen at events though. Was chatting to one of the VI staff apparently the van that was to deliver food to the buses this morning was involved in a crash....things like that aren't usually in the pile of 'plan B's'.

They had to hire a van to drive sandwiches out to the volunteers that had already been deployed and stay ahead of the cyclists.

These things happen at events though.

Yes, but it's good to see what's happened so that next year it won't happen. Giving everyone a proper map of the route would have been as simple as copying it onto tracing paper or transparent plastic (which I think can be done by Reads or the like) in the right size to place it over the standard OSI map of Dublin.
    Having the bus drivers knowing where they're supposed to drop volunteers is a matter of having a Cycling Ireland person who knows the route on each bus, with a properly planned sequence. It would only take half an hour out of a few people's day, and the buses would go faster (and safer) with this good direction.
    And indeed a bunch of us volunteers were going to places close enough that we could have walked, leaving the bus to drop people further out. Next year it'll be better with this year's ciall ceannaithe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

Einstein? wrote: »
    • I thought the food stop at 60 odd km was a bit far for people doing the 100k. I saw many struggling when I was catching up, perhaps an earlier feed might have kept them on the saddle for longer.
    • The food stop at 87 km (?) was silly plain and simple, and the propaganda of passing through that sports complex which looked sh!te to be honest was not needed. A food stop at 40k, followed by a larger feed at 70-80km would have made more sense to me considering most people were doing 100km for the first time.

I thought the 60k food stop was just in time. But it was a killer for me, really hard to get back and get the muscles working again. The last food stop was a godsend after all day of bananas, right at my limit that crunchy bar was probably the nicest thing I have ever tasted :)

The bridge was like 5km to go but there you go right in your face you poor bastards..

I was going to say that it was very well marshalled and thanks to volunteers and Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Einstein? wrote: »
    I've just gone through everyone's posts and I am so glad that they are all positive feedback. This is such a stark contrast to some of the snobs on this forum that were writing it off, in particular those that were peed off with how they managed it and organized it prior to the event. Nothing could be further from the truth, as everyone's enjoyment of the event is a testament to the superb effort that was put in by event hosts, volunteers and Garda (who for once are getting some good press, class act boys!).

My experience:(I was the guy with the black & yellow boardman bike... couldn't miss it)
    • I thought the turn out was excellent given the poor weather forecast, great to see so many groups traveling in towards Smithfield on my way in.
    • I did not have to stop once for red lights in all of the 100k thanks to Garda presence.
    • Volunteers where everywhere, cheerful, friendly and helpful. Mechanics however, I only used the Wheel Worx van which I appreciated but more mechanics were needed in my opinion.
    • I got a puncture three times, yes... three times, the first at Malahide which took me 30 minutes to sort out as no one would stop to give me a lend of a pump until a kind hearted gent doing the 60k did (thanks bro, and thanks to the civilian also who stopped and also helped me). Puncture number #2 and #3 got sorted quicker later on, #3 I got a tube from the Wheel Worx guy in the van.
    • I had some eejit doing the 60k give out sh!te to me when I overtook him on his right on a descent, the poor bugger was going mad slow almost on the middle of the road - keep straight and into the left if you're going to do that!!
    • The cobbles at the start/end were a very minor detail, and yes there was plenty of punctures around but I thought the weather blew in lots of sand onto the roads - particularly in first 30km.
    • Pasta at end was really nice although I stuffed myself at the previous with those muffins :D

The "snobs" you mention were right to worry about the organisation. I got an email telling me my bib number last week and then another one later telling me I had a new one due to a fupp up, after all the other stuff that was being asked/mentioned/questioned on social meejia.

Why wouldn't people have worried about the organisation?

I was kind of expecting a disaster of epic proportions myself. But it turned out well, very well.

I was very surprised they amassed so many volunteers for a start.

And well done all those volunteers.

You made my day out on the bike a happy and pleasent experiance. I shouted a thanks at yis all at every junction and wherever yis were.

What happened to your pump?

• Advertisement

I think we crossed paths a few times, Traprunner. I was in black, on a red bike with a handlebar bag.

Im going to presume that was you on Strava just now and I certainly recognise that bike. I was admiring it at one point and to be honest I never even saw who was cycling it. It really stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yup, that was me! Cheers - it got a couple of comments along the ride too!!

Yup, that was me! Cheers - it got a couple of comments along the ride too!!

I would say nice to meet you but it was really your work of art that I met :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Very enjoyable event, really effective and efficient marshalling by volunteers,Garda and those on-road leaders from Clontarf CC. Did the 100, and was grand though the middle 30km was lumpier than I anticipated: I was struggling by the foodstop. Got around in 3.11 moving time, 31.1 kph. Happy with that! Thanks to organisers, volunteers et al: good job done, especially for a first time event on this scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

So I did wear the GDBR Jersey for the 'race' :-P

Thoroughly enjoyed the 60KM (2Hr 30Mins) and thought the whole event was really well organised. This was my first dedicated cycling event and it has certainly given me a taste for more.

I was presently surprised that we were waived through all junctions en-route. My OH was a volunteer marshal stationed in Finglas & interestingly he said for the first hour or so the Guards weren't waiving riders through his junction and even pulled over one guy for breaking a red! He said after a while though they seemed to 'chill' and gave priority to the riders.

My only feedback really for improvements are; better signage for baggage area on approach - took me forever to locate it and those cobbelstones..... those wet cobblestones, nearly broke my neck!

Now to find a cycling club to join in South Dublin....recommendations?

new2tri wrote: »

What are your needs in a South Dublin cycling club, and are you southeast or southwest?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Delighted to see this went off so well. Had no direct involvement myself (Sundays tend to be busy with 4 kids to ferry around the place), but I am aware of some of the background concerns from a number of sources, including the 2 Boards threads discussing the event.

I actually think those 2 threads and some of the issues raised in them were very helpful to the organisers in their efforts to minimise any issues on the day. Equally they provided a resource for people involved to ask questions of the organisers. I think any concerns highlighted here actually helped the event run so well on the day.

On one of my "ferry" trips today I had to navigate a roundabout on the Swords by-pass which was also part of today's route. I've got to say the Gardaí were excellent and there was little in the way of delays for traffic or riders. Now there were 3 Garda at that roundabout and there clearly was a massive presence throughout the whole route. I suspect this had more support than any other cycling event in Ireland, barring possibly the Giro, although a lot of junctions in the Giro simply required marshals who could prevent motorists entering fully closed roads.

Anyway, well done to all involved, both on the organisation, and also the participants. Hopefully this become an annual event, and equally hopefully some of the lessons learned will help make the build up a lot smoother next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So I did wear the GDBR Jersey for the 'race' :-P

Thoroughly enjoyed the 60KM (2Hr 30Mins) and thought the whole event was really well organised. This was my first dedicated cycling event and it has certainly given me a taste for more.

I was presently surprised that we were waived through all junctions en-route. My OH was a volunteer marshal stationed in Finglas & interestingly he said for the first hour or so the Guards weren't waiving riders through his junction and even pulled over one guy for breaking a red! He said after a while though they seemed to 'chill' and gave priority to the riders.

My only feedback really for improvements are; better signage for baggage area on approach - took me forever to locate it and those cobbelstones..... those wet cobblestones, nearly broke my neck!

The Guards in Finglas let the other guards down at the roundabout they did nothing. They didn't wave us through or stop us. There must have Been a communication issue

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

What are your needs in a South Dublin cycling club, and are you southeast or southwest?

Am based in Dublin 14
    A fun club with a group for beginners & novices would be nice - I have been eyeing up Orwell Wheelers website today.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Orwell Wheelers are one of the largest clubs in the country and also one of the most welcoming. They cater for all disciplines and all abilities. This is the time of year to think about joining and maybe go along to any introductory spins they may arrange. Check out their website. They have a lot of regulars in this forum who can answer any questions you may have

Just generally on joining up, most clubs require CI or IVCA membership for insurance purposes. CI will be closing their 2015 membership portal shortly and it should be re-opened early in November when next year's membership fees will have been set. They will usually cover you from then until 31/12/16, meaning you can get nearly 14 months membership for the price of 12 when you first sign up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement