Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I've signed up for the 100km

Hope I get a jersey now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hope I get a jersey now

When you signed up, were you asked, what size jersey,you wanted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Wasn't asked for jersey size. Hopefully they stock up on L.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When you signed up, were you asked, what size jersey,you wanted ?

No, asked nothing of the sort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Considering that this would be by far the largest cycle of it's type ever run in the middle of Dublin City, is anyone else worried that the organisation is starting to look a little haphazard and a bit less well thought out than you'd expect?

Who is actually running this and what other mass start cycling events have they run before?

I'd like to think that they had helped run some of the other big cycle events previously (Ring of Kerry, WW200, Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

check_six wrote: »
    Considering that this would be by far the largest cycle of it's type ever run in the middle of Dublin City, is anyone else worried that the organisation is starting to look a little haphazard and a bit less well thought out than you'd expect?

Not really. The Gran Fondo in Belfast at the weekend was pretty light on information until much closer to the day with final timings etc. only being released in the last couple of weeks before the event. All went well, organisation was spot on and only a few minor gripes from people.

If you're not sure or would prefer more info before entering, then wait until closer to the time. It's highly unlikely that this event will sell out with 5,000 places available (Belfast claimed 3,200 entrants).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

xebec wrote: »
    Not really. The Gran Fondo in Belfast at the weekend was pretty light on information until much closer to the day with final timings etc. only being released in the last couple of weeks before the event. All went well, organisation was spot on and only a few minor gripes from people.

If you're not sure or would prefer more info before entering, then wait until closer to the time. It's highly unlikely that this event will sell out with 5,000 places available (Belfast claimed 3,200 entrants).

The Gran Fondo published a list of 2750 finishers. I saw a lad with 3293 on his bike in the car park before the start.

It was 2 times the price of the proposed spin here though, and they did have only have green bananas and energy bars at the food stop.

But it did have helluva lot of cops closing the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well done to whomever is responsible for this, for even getting it this far.

Sure there will be teething problems, they have problem over/underestimated lots of things and many things will be done on the fly to try to patch it together.

I would rather they give it a go and learn from any issues in the coming years then wait until everything is perfect. It's great to see such an event in Dublin, allowing people to see the ease of cycling in Dublin (from a terrain point of view) and the great views and sights that Dublin Bay etc has to offer when people get out of their cars.

I done lotsof sportives, so things such as medals, food stops, jerseys etc are are not really an big issue for me, but certainly if I can get the kids involved then the medals, jerseys etc become something worthwhile. The closed roads would be something I would love to experience around Dublin. Hopefully, since it is a DCC supported initiative it can follow on from the lunch time ride and things like that to encourage more people to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leroy42 wrote: »
    so things such as medals, food stops, jerseys etc are are not really an big issue for me...
    +1

I don't take the medals, certificates, goodie bags, T shirts* etc. as I think they are a bit naff. As for jerseys, I don't understand why people want them. Most are tacky in the extreme and I'd much prefer to choose my own cycling attire.

(* I did take the Liege-Bastogne-Liege T-shirt but when I opened the packet and saw how poor it was, I left it in the hotel).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I think its nice to get a jersey and its good to see everyone in different sportive jerseys from different years, it can be a nice conversation starter, medals I dont understand myself.

i would like to know if there was a safe area to leave bikes once riders are finished and enjoying the great entertainment supplied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I like jerseys, don't really care for medals.

I did London to Brighton at the weekend. I was wearing a 2012 An Post Meath Heritage Tour jersey. Indeed it was a conversation starter - by another Irish man. Nice to meet him.

I've signed up for this and hope I'm in the first 1000.

I think Dublin has been crying out for this for a big sportive years. Well done to the organisers. I hope it's a great success.

See yiz there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

jon1981 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: seriously...I forgot about about all those Irish only speakers out there.
    If the event is being organised by a government body, such as the Irish Sports Council, then it's obligatory for them to present the web site in Irish and English. Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    If the event is being organised by a government body, such as the Irish Sports Council, then it's obligatory for them to present the web site in Irish and English. Just sayin.

This kind of crap needs to change, the money they'd waste on translating an entire website that no-one will read could be better used on promoting the health benefits of the event.

It's bad enough having to listen to the bus and luas announce each stop in Irish let alone the feckin sat nav trying to mangle its way through it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Crocked wrote: »
    This kind of crap needs to change, the money they'd waste on translating an entire website that no-one will read could be better used on promoting the health benefits of the event.

It's bad enough having to listen to the bus and luas announce each stop in Irish let alone the feckin sat nav trying to mangle its way through it as it is.

While i don't care if the website has a irish page on it, i don't agree with that trying to get Irish people to speak there own language is wasting money. I went to a all irish language school and loved when i could speak it fluently. Not so good now.

It annoys me when i hear irish people slagging other nationals "Stupid language " when the speak english. bloody annoys me.

But thats for a different topic

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

iancairns, can you please contact us on hello@boards.ie before posting in this thread again? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just got an email about this. Looks brilliant but torn now as it is the day after the Rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

After seeing the advert in the linkie within the post here (poster here) I only went & registered for the Great Dublin Bike Ride 2015.

Never checked my Diary before-hand & see the Rebel Tour (also registered for) is the day before.

What kind of atmosphere is in Dublin for this event? I've never cycled (nor drove) in Dublin before myself. Never attended a Cycling event in Leinster so the Heritage Tour in Meath next-week will be a first for me on a few fronts.

Looking forward to attending new Cycling events tbh while I can as who knows what'll happen in the future.

Anyone any experience ; any tips ; any stories they'd like to share from Cycling the Great Dublin Bike Ride from previous year? I've signed-up for the 60km only for this year.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is the first year of the Dublin one, there's a thread on it somewhere.

Did the Meath cycle last year, got atmosphere, pretty flat, corners tended to have a lot of gravel though and the road surface was rubbish after Slane for a bit it I think. Food stops were not spaced well on the 100 km,(20km from end)

One hill near start is very narrow and was congested and needs a bit of extra care but otherwise grand.

Atmosphere at end seemed good but didn't stay for long and was helped by great weather

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    there's a thread on it somewhere.
    Merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Great Dublin Bike Ride

There's a 60km and a 100km course, €25 for the 60km and €40 for the 100km.

As I'm competing Judo in September and have an entrance fee I can only afford the 60km course.

At 60km it should be a fun little ride, but I'm a bit cheesed off at the price difference between the 60 & 100km routes.

Anyone else riding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm a lazy feicer, so I'm doing the 60km. See you there, Mak.

Ps; think there was a thread started on it recently, but good to have another one to confirm numbers.

OldBean wrote: »
    I'm a lazy feicer, so I'm doing the 60km. See you there, Mak.

Ps; think there was a thread started on it recently, but good to have another one to confirm numbers.

Mod's apologizes if there's a thread on this already, but (thankfully) this forum moves along so quick its easy to lose these things [plus boards search engine is dire].

But yes, it would be nice to know who's going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm registered for the long route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Doing the 100

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Doing the 100

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I'm considering the 100, but I think there are a lot of unanswered questions re the rolling road closures (are they going to keep the whole 5,000 together), how many refreshments stops, is there an event at the end, etc.

Also, i don't thik the take-up has been great, I think you can still get in the first 1,000 (and get a jersey.)

Also, the €40 is a bit galling considering there is no charity involved. (not €45 as in the first post)

wheelo01 wrote: »

Also, the €40 is a bit galling considering there is no charity involved. (not €45 as in the first post)

Woops, I'll edit that.

And yes it is pretty expensive considering there's no charities benefiting. However I'll do it for Temple Street Children's Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm doing the 100km. Last big ride of the summer I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

merged :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement