Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

merged :)

Sorry for giving you the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm doing the 100k.

Got the bug from doing the Ring.

Also doing the 100k of the Etape De Connemara, because I won an entry on Tg4

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I'm doing the 100k route.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I was wondering if I could switch from 60 to 100k on the day of the event by paying cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Einstein? wrote: »
    I was wondering if I could switch from 60 to 100k on the day of the event by paying cash?

The registration is the day before so you definitely won't be able to do it on the day. Shoot off an email to them asking now, you've 7 weeks to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

At €40 for the 100km + event,I think its too much.The Mick Byrne 200km was only €16,another case of CI robbing the ordinary cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

At €40 for the 100km + event,I think its too much.The Mick Byrne 200km was only €16,another case of CI robbing the ordinary cyclist.

Includes a jersey and 3 food stops iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Fair point sullivlo,but the jersey means nothing to me,my house is full of cycling bibshorts/tops etc.I can ride the route in the morning and have bars/gels in my back pocket,2 water bottles on my bike and do the spin non-stop. As usual the CI sportives are mad money,just look at all the skoda/CI sportives at €35!!
    Would'nt you think the national organisation would supplement the entry fee's to make it cheaper to ride these sportiffs if they wanted to encourage new riders into the sport??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Contemplating the 60k, need to get my arse back into shape. What does the 25 blips get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Fair point sullivlo,but the jersey means nothing to me,my house is full of cycling bibshorts/tops etc.I can ride the route in the morning and have bars/gels in my back pocket,2 water bottles on my bike and do the spin non-stop. As usual the CI sportives are mad money,just look at all the skoda/CI sportives at €35!!
    Would'nt you think the national organisation would supplement the entry fee's to make it cheaper to ride these sportiffs if they wanted to encourage new riders into the sport??

I'd say a majority of those signing up probably only do one event a year ( maybe their first) and so 40euro is probably fine but for many seasoned cyclists that do multiple sportives, this is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

iancairns wrote: »
    No not yet AFAIK

How do we know if you're within the first 1000? I registered ages ago and there's no indication of registration number....

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

jon1981 wrote: »
    I'd say a majority of those signing up probably only do one event a year ( maybe their first) and so 40euro is probably fine but for many seasoned cyclists that do multiple sportives, this is too much.

Agreed. Hard to shell out 40 euros for the chance of a t shirt and no charity contribution when many other sportives are about half that......With a charity aim. Far better to give a casual shirt to all entrants if you're going to do that kind of thing......way better than a medal.

That all said, in the us these kind of events are called gran fondos and routinely can cost 300 usd.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Just catching up on this thread now; somehow details of the event had passed me by up until today. I'd share many of the concerns raised previously, and don't want to repeat them unnecessarily. My one new observation would be -

Many sportives around the country offer a discount for CI members (on the basis that insurance is already paid for). Strikes me as strange that an event organised by CI doesn't offer any discount for CI members.

Just catching up on this thread now; somehow details of the event had passed me by up until today. I'd share many of the concerns raised previously, and don't want to repeat them unnecessarily. My one new observation would be -

Many sportives around the country offer a discount for CI members (on the basis that insurance is already paid for). Strikes me as strange that an event organised by CI doesn't offer any discount for CI members.

Is it organised by CI? It mentions it's in conjunction with them and various others.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the website
    The Irish Sports Council, in conjunction with Cycling Ireland has teamed up with the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Dublin City Council and Healthy Ireland

I am guessing it was initiated by the Sports Council as its part of Ireland's contribution to the European Sports Week and they probably approached the other organisations to lend support. It seems that CI have obliged by trying to round up the troops to help out with marshalling and also to request volunteer riders to help along the way. It may well be that CI had little say on pricing as it seems to me that the whole event is aimed at attracting people to participate in cycling, and it may not have gone down well if some kind of special deal was done for but only for CI members

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Is it organised by CI? It mentions it's in conjunction with them and various others.

If not, then there are heavily involved.

• The e-mail I got yesterday came from Cycling Ireland, telling me there is only one month to go. I am on this e-mail distribution list because I am a member of Cycling Ireland, ( I have not given them any permission to share my personal details with anyone else, nor have they requested this permission).
    • This email (Link to web version below) has a banner at the top where cycling Ireland is the only organisation mentioned. Cycling Ireland is then mentioned four more times in the artwork and body of the remainder of the mail. Their name is being heavily promoted;
    • The same email contains a link to The Irish Spots council website. Click this link, go to the Sports Council website and hey presto - no mention of the Bike ride on the landing page. why, if CI are not behind this then someone is going to a lot of trouble to make it look like they are.

If not, then there are heavily involved.

• The e-mail I got yesterday came from Cycling Ireland, telling me there is only one month to go. I am on this e-mail distribution list because I am a member of Cycling Ireland, ( I have not given them any permission to share my personal details with anyone else, nor have they requested this permission).
    • This email (Link to web version below) has a banner at the top where cycling Ireland is the only organisation mentioned. Cycling Ireland is then mentioned four more times in the artwork and body of the remainder of the mail. Their name is being heavily promoted;
    • The same email contains a link to The Irish Spots council website. Click this link, go to the Sports Council website and hey presto - no mention of the Bike ride on the landing page. why, if CI are not behind this then someone is going to a lot of trouble to make it look like they are.

I don't know why, you could ask them?
    I've been getting similar emails for months at this stage from another involved group,who are most definitely not running it but are heavily involved in one element - getting volunteers to work at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I think it is safe to say to say CI are the promoting club of the event
    dgF68pT.png
    Also they advertised a new position at the start of the year of Cycling Events Officer where one of the tasks was managing a new annual dublin based sportive.

EuaR63s.png

If anyone's interested, I've re-worked the routes for Strava.

60Km Route: http://www.strava.com/routes/3115886

100Km Route: http://www.strava.com/routes/3115945

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

conkennedy wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, I've re-worked the routes for Strava.

60Km Route: http://www.strava.com/routes/3115886

100Km Route: http://www.strava.com/routes/3115945

Thanks for this, however, with me being me, could you Please correct the spelling of Dublin in the 60km route info link

F5OgzxE.jpg

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They really aren't making this easy to take part in.
    • 8am start on a Sunday which means if you want to take a train or bus in to the start you're screwed so I'd have to add 26km to the 100km just to get there. With 1km of climbing on the route I'm not sure I'm up for that extra 26km before it even starts. Why such an early start on a Sunday? 10am would be normal for sportives of this distance.
    • Registration on Saturday which means going in to Dublin twice in a weekend. Why not allow registration on Friday as well for people who work in the city and/or before the start. You can get someone to register on your behalf - but only with a photo ID - why not with my CI license? The person registering won't look like me so what difference does a photo make?
    • Waved starts strictly enforced - so no guarantee that you'll start with your mates. Which means if I start in the 8am wave I'll stop on the quays and wait for mates that may happen to be in the 8:08 wave.
    • And what do I get for my €40? A ride I could do any time I want and possibly a jersey which I don't need. All I ever wear are my boards and Galway Cycles ones. I could even factor in 3 food stops myself for less than half that. And none of this money goes to charity.
    The more I look at this the more it just seems to be a money spinner for CI:
    Also located in Smithfield around sign-on/number collection is the Great Dublin Bike Ride Expo. Here you can browse through the latest cycling gear and apparel, have your bike serviced or grab a bite to eat from some of the many local businesses in the Smithfield area. Some of the cycling world’s best known brands will be there so give yourself enough time before or after sign-on to have a good look around
    So is this an event built around an expo or an expo built around an event?

I did have to laugh at this though:
    08:00 1st Wave Start 100km
    12:00 First 100k participant approx

I'd be hoping to finish in 4:30 and I'd be a lot slower than some people I know taking part - I'd be surprised if the first finishers are any later than 11:30.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ....Please correct the spelling of Dublin in the 60km route info link
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Orion wrote: »
    • Registration on Saturday which means going in to Dublin twice in a weekend. Why not allow registration on Friday as well for people who work in the city and/or before the start. You can get someone to register on your behalf - but only with a photo ID - why not with my CI license? The person registering won't look like me so what difference does a photo make?

just saw that, it is a bit ridiculous. Smithfield isn't the most accessible part of town, why not have it on the Friday in a better part of town so people can collect when there in town working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Orion wrote: »
    • 8am start on a Sunday which means if you want to take a train or bus in to the start you're screwed so I'd have to add 26km to the 100km just to get there. With 1km of climbing on the route I'm not sure I'm up for that extra 26km before it even starts. Why such an early start on a Sunday? 10am would be normal for sportives of this distance.
    • Waved starts strictly enforced - so no guarantee that you'll start with your mates. Which means if I start in the 8am wave I'll stop on the quays and wait for mates that may happen to be in the 8:08 wave.
    • And what do I get for my €40? A ride I could do any time I want and possibly a jersey which I don't need. All I ever wear are my boards and Galway Cycles ones. I could even factor in 3 food stops myself for less than half that. And none of this money goes to charity.
    The more I look at this the more it just seems to be a money spinner for CI:

So is this an event built around an expo or an expo built around an event?

I did have to laugh at this though:
    08:00 1st Wave Start 100km
    12:00 First 100k participant approx

I'd be hoping to finish in 4:30 and I'd be a lot slower than some people I know taking part - I'd be surprised if the first finishers are any later than 11:30.

Totally agree, its turned into an absolute joke, i had intended to ride it but they succeeded in making it just too awkward to be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I presume the early start is to stop the usual whingers (who were out in force when the Ironman event was on) from complaining about the ride bringing the city to a halt, but it does make it a lot trickier to use the train to get in, and it's hard to see if you can leave your bike locked safely near the start in Smithfield following registration.

I really doubt it's making any money for CI at all, I'd say they'll take a hit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I also find the Ring of Kerry fierce awkward to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I registered weeks ago for the 60km. Doing it on my own although I know I'll probably never be alone on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

What's with the negativity towards this particular event :rolleyes:

I'm sure it'll be grand at the end of it all, and it does accommodate a lot of people living in Dublin city including myself.

With this event, I'll probably pop down to registration on the Saturday when I get a chance - likewise I'll pop down to the start line on Sunday morning on the bike (no car, or public transport required) from the comfort of my own house.

Compare the above to the likes of the ROK which you'd easily spend 200 quid just for 1 weekend.

As for the lack of charities? Well I'm all for charities, but I don't mind since this event will probably make a good impact on cycling in general, and will be one of the first to happen in the city.

I'd say to you... if you don't like it, don't cycle it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Einstein? wrote: »
    What's with the negativity towards this particular event :rolleyes:

I'm sure it'll be grand at the end of it all, and it does accommodate a lot of people living in Dublin city including myself.

With this event, I'll probably pop down to registration on the Saturday when I get a chance - likewise I'll pop down to the start line on Sunday morning on the bike (no car, or public transport required) from the comfort of my own house.

Compare the above to the likes of the ROK which you'd easily spend 200 quid just for 1 weekend.

As for the lack of charities? Well I'm all for charities, but I don't mind since this event will probably make a good impact on cycling in general, and will be one of the first to happen in the city.

I'd say to you... if you don't like it, don't cycle it :cool:

The mater foundation are one of the charities involved.
    If anyone is interested, they do a lot for heart screening cancer care and cardiology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The mater foundation are one of the charities involved.
    If anyone is interested, they do a lot for heart screening cancer care and cardiology.

From the FAQ:
    The Great Dublin Bike Ride is not a charity event, we recognise that some participants may like to raise money for various charities.
    While there is no obligation to raise money for charity, for participants that want to use this event to fundraise, they can do so by contacting the relevant charity directly

Some people may be doing for the Mater but that's on their own - the event isn't sponsoring any charity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement