Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Orion wrote: »
    From the FAQ:

Some people may be doing for the Mater but that's on their own - the event isn't sponsoring any charity.

I was not intentionally trying to say that they were an affiliated charity
    I work in the hospital and they had put out an email looking for people who were interested in the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Initially this sounded like a good idea until I realised its on the same weekend as the Rebel tour which for me is one of the best cycles of the year.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For those of us who do a fair number of sportives, it's easy to be critical of some aspects of the Great Dublin Bike Ride. However, if it succeeds in getting a lot of cyclists out who might be a bit intimidated by sportives or not even know what they are, then it's a good thing IMHO.
    Like Shaka, I'm off to West Cork that weekend both for the Rebel Tour and the Food Festival. What a combination!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Ive travelled to lots of sportiffs/charity rides around the country this year,that cost me petrol money to get too.This Dublin ride is on my doorstep,I can cycle to and from the event,and only be away from home for 6 hrs max,compared to 10 -12 hours for most of the other sportiffs/charity cycles I usually do.
    However,Im not entering this as I feel Im being ripped off,and no one likes to be ripped off.
    €40 is way too high,and the fact that a charity aint getting the entry fee doesn't soften the blow.
    Plus the fact that Cycling Ireland is promoting it doesn't sit well with me either.Im forever trying to get friends to join CI,just the basic non racing membership,but they wont as they see no benefits,so how the hell will I get them to agree to a €40 entry fee for 1 day,on roads they can cycle for free any day of the week?
    CI are missing an opportunity to get new members,make it €40 entry fee,but it also gives entrants the 1 year basic licence as well.And to even it up,charge current CI members €15-€20,give something back to existing members.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was not intentionally trying to say that they were an affiliated charity
    I work in the hospital and they had put out an email looking for people who were interested in the cycle.

You made it look like the cycle was officially collecting for the matter via the entrance money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Not only will it give a chance for the casual cyclists who is still on the fence about this cycling shenanigan to experience a sportive for the first time ever, but it will paint a positive picture for cyclists in the city that needs it most.

As I said earlier, I'm all for charities but nothing is stopping individuals or groups to pool together some spare change and support a charity of their choice.

Besides, I'm sure it's not free to organize for 1000+ cyclists to set about in tandem around the city.

As for the steep price of 40 quid? Well.... I'll give you my own experience to consider: I've started cycling at the start of this summer and love it. I've only done the leinster loop (130k) as my first sportive - that was 30 quid + around the same for a jersey. With this event, I paid 25 quid to do the 60k option, but will be upgrading to 100k since I'm now well capable of tackling this distance, and I'll be doing the equinox 260k the week after this event which cost 80. I could probably break down the price of these events and identify a couple of 'rip offs' here and there...... but at the end of the day, what's 40 quid in the grand scheme of things? 8 pints in Dublin if you're lucky? A dinner for two or one depending on what restaurant you fancy? A pair of jeans or a shirt to add to your bulging collection? The way I see it ... getting out on the bike with a group of people, 1000+, who share and enjoy the same hobby - that is cycling and all that comes with it you know this better than I do - that my friend, that is worth much more than 40 euro to me. It's priceless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Einstein? wrote: »

As for the steep price of 40 quid? Well.... I'll give you my own experience to consider: I've started cycling at the start of this summer and love it. I've only done the leinster loop (130k) as my first sportive - that was 30 quid + around the same for a jersey. With this event, I paid 25 quid to do the 60k option, but will be upgrading to 100k since I'm now well capable of tackling this distance, and I'll be doing the equinox 260k the week after this event which cost 80. I could probably break down the price of these events and identify a couple of 'rip offs' here and there...... but at the end of the day, what's 40 quid in the grand scheme of things? 8 pints in Dublin if you're lucky? A dinner for two or one depending on what restaurant you fancy? A pair of jeans or a shirt to add to your bulging collection? The way I see it ... getting out on the bike with a group of people, 1000+, who share and enjoy the same hobby - that is cycling and all that comes with it you know this better than I do - that my friend, that is worth much more than 40 euro to me. It's priceless :)

The correct cost is what the market will bear so if 1000 plus want to pay 40e then why not charge it.....and why shouldn't CI make a profit. Time will tell but I think the organisers could do a bit better with value for money. I think medals are useless and for the same cost you could print a t shirt for every participant and not just the first 1000. All you have to do is look at how even small running g events are run to see how to attract a market

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ryder wrote: »
    The correct cost is what the market will bear so if 1000 plus want to pay 40e then why not charge it.....and why shouldn't CI make a profit. Time will tell but I think the organisers could do a bit better with value for money. I think medals are useless and for the same cost you could print a t shirt for every participant and not just the first 1000. All you have to do is look at how even small running g events are run to see how to attract a market

I doubt they will make any profit. Road closures , gardai, marketing, insurance, organiser fees, food stops, etc all cost money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Any mumbling old slowcoaches of bumbling cyclists from the Rathmines-Terenure-Kimmage axis thinking of doing this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only just spotted this as it came up as a banner when I was logged out, but there is a Hosted thread here (hosted means it's not part of the Cycling forum), started by a verified CI rep covering this event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Beasty wrote: »
    Only just spotted this as it came up as a banner when I was logged out, but there is a Hosted thread here (hosted means it's not part of the Cycling forum), started by a verified CI rep covering this event

Maybe the office could re-direct Garry here to answer the host of questions that have gone unanswered.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've already dropped the office a note about the fact that thread has been around since 13 August but no-one here knew about it. From a mods perspective I have no problem if the CI verified rep wishes to respond to any questions raised in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

So Strava route says 100k is ~1,000m climbing. The GDBR site says 750m, via Ride with GPS.

Which is correct? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

youwhoglue wrote: »
    So Strava route says 100k is ~1,000m climbing. The GDBR site says 750m, via Ride with GPS.

Cycle it and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Doing the 100 km route, and it'll be my first sportive. I'm excited for it but I've never done anything of this length before and it'll probably kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Doing the 100 km route, and it'll be my first sportive. I'm excited for it but I've never done anything of this length before and it'll probably kill me!

You'll be fine. Keep the legs spinning lightly, stay hydrated and feed yourself well.

You might be surprised how much easier it is to cycle long distances when in a group. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pudsy33 wrote: »

As gaffmaster said, you'll be fine, having all the others around you makes the Km's tick along.

Of course, once you've done this you'll be looking for the next challenge and then you'll find yourself sucked into the world of cycling.

Then you'll be just like the rest of us!!!!Muhahahahaha etctetctc...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

When you'er riding it hope for the 750m but when you're retelling your epic feat to your friends it was 1000m+

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Does it matter?

It's not like it's stage 11 of La Vuelta!
    😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Was talking to someone the other evening who said he was doing the 60k rather than 100k because it had better climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Was talking to someone the other evening who said he was doing the 60k rather than 100k because it had better climbs.

There's no real climbing on the 60k route, the 100k has a few between the 40km-65km mark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Please Assist:

I asked here but wondered where you are all watching La Vuelta Finale.

The final stage will be on the same day as this.
    Finish Your Cycle.
    Lock Your Bikes.
    Find the Best Sports Bar.

Support Nico Roche Completing La Vuelta 2015 :)

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Please Assist:

Finish Your Cycle.
    Lock Your Bikes.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

The Back Page, less than a 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute cycle up Constitution Hill might be your best bet. Though I'd say email/contact them on Facebook and see if you can book a table/tv with it on.

Then pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Please Assist:

Finish Your Cycle.
    Lock Your Bikes.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

dont forget the hurling final is on sunday so places may not b that keen to show cycling on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Please Assist:

Finish Your Cycle.
    Lock Your Bikes.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

These might show it on one of their many screens.
    The Living Room
    Cathal Brugha St,
    Dublin 1

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

neris wrote: »
    dont forget the hurling final is on sunday so places may not b that keen to show cycling on tv

Wow, they've arranged the replay already?

The Great Dublin Bike RaceRide is on the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There was a sponsored thread on Boards.ie It appears to be gone.
    What happened?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There was a sponsored thread on Boards.ie It appears to be gone.
    What happened?
    It's here

Think there's been some confusion over its location. It's always been in "Hosted" and that's the only place I found it except when logged out when it appeared as a banner thread in the Cycling forum

I presume you accessed via the banner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Beasty wrote: »
    It's here

Think there's been some confusion over its location. It's always been in "Hosted" and that's the only place I found it except when logged out when it appeared as a banner thread in the Cycling forum

I presume you accessed via the banner?

Until this morning, When I opened Boards cycling forum, it was on the top of the page. This morning, it was gone.

Thanks for redirect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Signed up for the 60k spin yesterday. Nice little break away from marathon training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement