Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameboy original/pocket

• 23-06-2015 11:33am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking to pick one up, why kind of money are we talking and are there any particularly decent model to pick up ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

They both tend to go pretty cheap, 10-15 GPB on ebay auctions. Afaik there's no difference between the models, besides the colour

For playing on you can't go wrong with an advance sp, it's backlit and you play original/colour and advance games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If we are talking about the original model is go for the Gameboy Pocket, a beautiful device, great screen and frugal on the batteries.
    If you want to play something to play GBA games I'd actually buy a DSLite, great screen and cheap as chips, plus you can play DS games!
    A Gameboy Micro is well worth owning if its to be GBA games either, harder to find and a little more expensive but they are a lovely thing to own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

advance sp

Treatment-of-hand-cramps.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

They both tend to go pretty cheap, 10-15 GPB on ebay auctions. Afaik there's no difference between the models, besides the colour

For playing on you can't go wrong with an advance sp, it's backlit and you play original/colour and advance games

It's worth noting that the SP for the most part is not backlit in this region.

The U.S. and Australia I believe (could be wrong) got the 101 model which is backlit.

Most models you'll find here are the 001 model which is pants in comparison.

This reminds me I have a 101 model that I keep meaning to buy a new casing for. Sitting on my shelf for at least a year now.

I'll get round to you soon project I promise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Have an advance already , and a DS.
    Looking for the original of the species.
    Gameboy pocket it is.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

GameCube with Gameboy adapter + sony trinitron works best for me and I have collected all the handhelds but prefer the big screen. I tried playing the original gameboy the other day and the screen is a complete joke i have no idea how i managed to put so many hours into it as a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retron 5 is pretty great for big screen playing of handheld Ninty games, though I also own a GB player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Retron 5 is pretty great for big screen playing of handheld Ninty games, though I also own a GB player.

I don't see the appeal personally of playing handheld games on the telly.

Does the resolution / graphics not get torn to shreds?

I've seen YouTube clips etc which seem fine but never in real life so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

It's not bad using the snes gameboy player or the gamecube gba player, both preferable options than an original gameboy imo. Unless you want to play on the go, but in that case i would go with emulation and something like a dingoo, xperia play, even the all superior ngage qd will play original gameboy games!

Los Lobos wrote: »
    It's not bad using the snes gameboy player or the gamecube gba player, both preferable options than an original gameboy imo. Unless you want to play on the go, but in that case i would go with emulation and something like a dingoo, xperia play, even the all superior ngage qd will play original gameboy games!

You can leave quietly and we'll forward your stuff to the nearest skip!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

It's the whole retro feel of it.
    Bit like how snes emulation is a bit too "clean" on my pc.

Simply the best
    9025171-9025171-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Kind of unfortunate that two of the games are the same, Super Mario Land.

I'd make an offer and only take the two Mario Land titles and let him flog the extra one elsewhere, he'd get a tenner for it from someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't see the appeal personally of playing handheld games on the telly.

Does the resolution / graphics not get torn to shreds?

I've seen YouTube clips etc which seem fine but never in real life so to speak.
    CRTs do magic with pixels.

Youtube + LCD screen won't show you the glory :pac:

Advertisement