Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing large very overgrown site

Options
  • 23-06-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for a little advice.

I have house on a near 1 acre site. It hasn't been touched for over 2 years and now is very very overgrown! We have a number of trees that could do with pruning, weeds growing over the tarmac drive all up to the house, brambles etc growing up and the grass is nearly up to my waist.

I don't know where to start! I have been given a couple of suggestions for the grass - get a pony, strimmers, or even ask a local farmer if they could bring in a tractor with grass cutter to go over the place (the guys who clear the road sides?).

(BTW, We are looking for a wild/meadow type thing at the end of it all, not really looking for a manicured lawn but really need the lot cleared)

If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

goats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

goats!

Goats will only eat the grass when every shrub etc. in reach is gone, and maybe not even then. The seem to consider things on the ground to be dirty.

Sheep might be a better option, but an acre really isn't that much - you'd be better getting a suitable mower from a hire company.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Hi guys thanks for the replies,

Having a few animals in might be ok but I really don't want the responsibility of them. I guess unless I can muster enough money to hire someone in with equipment (which is unlikely!) my best option might be to hire the equipment myself.

Does anyone know what might be suitable for clearing the long grass? I see there are flail mowers, power scythes, strimmers, ride ons etc, but not sure what would handle it best. Also clearing out brambles etc, would that need a mini digger or something to clear the roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

We bought a house before Xmas on approx 3/4 acre. It has never been seeded, levelled or taken care of much. The "lawn" out the front was a forest by the time I got around to it. Out the back is total bedlam with a four foot drop from one side of the site to the other and grass up to chest height and brambles, nettles, bushes etc.

Like you I didn't know where to begin so I left it for a few months after we moved in. The house is being renovated so I am not all that bothered with the garden nor have I the money to do anything proper with it for now. House gets done first.

So to keep it just tidy looking I bought a petrol stimmer off E-bay for approx 120 quid (delivered) at the start of the year. (Might be more now with exchange rates) It comes with 3 blades and the usual cable cutting head also. I used a blade the first time around as the grass was so thick. It took a couple of hours but the blade flew through it aswell as the brambles and small bushes. I was really impressed with it. That was a few weeks ago. SO this weekend I went back over it with the cable cutting head only as the grass was not as heavy or tall. Strimmer has really made a good job of it.

If you are able to assemble the strimmer and mix the petrol and 2 stroke oil (you get a mixing bottle) than I'd receommend buying one and using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

We bought a house before Xmas on approx 3/4 acre. It has never been seeded, levelled or taken care of much. The "lawn" out the front was a forest by the time I got around to it. Out the back is total bedlam with a four foot drop from one side of the site to the other and grass up to chest height and brambles, nettles, bushes etc.

Like you I didn't know where to begin so I left it for a few months after we moved in. The house is being renovated so I am not all that bothered with the garden nor have I the money to do anything proper with it for now. House gets done first.

So to keep it just tidy looking I bought a petrol stimmer off E-bay for approx 120 quid (delivered) at the start of the year. (Might be more now with exchange rates) It comes with 3 blades and the usual cable cutting head also. I used a blade the first time around as the grass was so thick. It took a couple of hours but the blade flew through it aswell as the brambles and small bushes. I was really impressed with it. That was a few weeks ago. SO this weekend I went back over it with the cable cutting head only as the grass was not as heavy or tall. Strimmer has really made a good job of it.

If you are able to assemble the strimmer and mix the petrol and 2 stroke oil (you get a mixing bottle) than I'd receommend buying one and using that.

Thanks for that, sounds like a good way to go. I missed out on the lidl brush cutter so will have a look on eBay for something. It will certainly save a good bit of cash doing it myself!

What is the quality like of that timber pro one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement