Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with sons lego...

Options
  • 23-06-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My 7 year old son has outgrown his lego collection.
    There must be a couple of thousands euro worth at least.
    Problem being , no boxes were kept (manuals were) and its stored in various large containers.
    A lot of star wars stuff , wolverine, and various marvel stuff (as far as I remember)

Question is (and I am not trying to sell it here before I get told off)
    Can I sell it as a bundle and how much should I sell it for?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

A few years back my son donated a lot of his unused toys to the local children's hospital. He felt very proud afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

All manuals come with an inventory of parts. You could separate the big box into the individual pieces, compile them into sets and sell the sets individually without the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Outgrown Lego? He'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

I'm 28 and I haven't outgrown Lego yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I'd say to get the best return it'd be worth the hassle of splitting into the various sets and selling individually.

Otherwise I think don't people buy Lego on a per kg basis, but no doubt the rate would be less. Pretty sure I've seen people on Adverts offering to buy based on weight before.

Best bet though as hinted by others is put it in the attic/storage and he'll be grateful in a few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 dmaguire104

There is a store on the Main Street in Navan that buys Lego, so you could give them a try. They have a sign in the window, they also buy PS & X-box games.

You have a few options depending on how much effort you want to put in.

1) Stick it in a big plastic box and store it away until he sees a set he likes in the future and ends up getting back into Lego.

2) Weigh it and stick the whole lot up for sale based on the weight. You'll get €10-€12 per KG. This is the most hassle free way of getting rid of it. There are loads of people looking for loose Lego on Adverts.

3) Go through the instructions and rebuild the sets. Depending on the sets and assuming their complete, this is potentially the most profitable way of off loading it.

4) Give it to charity like another user suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm keeping mine for my future kids. The older lego was better anyway, with less bulky, defined star-warsy pieces and more imagination.

I used some about 2 years ago to make a Raspberry Pi case, so it'll always have it's uses. If I had mine where I live now, I'm sure I'd find more uses for it. It's like 3D printing from the 1990's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

If you have mini figures don't sell the separately. If you have the time sort through the Lego and pull out all the figures to show separately.

Also either include the set numbers from the sets or show pictures of them they will help indicate what sets should be in there.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Stick it in the attic. Even if he never uses it again (which is unlikely, he'll probably develop a second love for it at some stage) your grandchildren will be delighted in 20+ years time.
    I had loads of Lego growing up but didn't hold on to any of it. Now that I have my own Lego mad kids, I wish I had kept it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

gerarda wrote: »
    A few years back my son donated a lot of his unused toys to the local children's hospital. He felt very proud afterwards.

Charity sounds good , thanks.
    Thanks all for the suggestions.
    Just have to figure out what hospital or charity will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As Mr Bloat said, I'd really advise against getting rid of it just yet. For all you know lego isnt cool right now because some kid in school said it isnt cool and he will change his mind 6 weeks from now. I 'grew out' of regular Lego when I was about twelve and switched to Lego Technic, then I got into Mindstorms and now, at the age of 31 I got the Ghostbusters ecto-1 car and I came very close to buying the new Lego Pirates treasure island last week. Put it in a box, in the attic, and he will be pestering you to retrieve it in only a few weeks or months Im certain of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

There are buy and sell facebook pages for lego. Some minifigs are quite valuable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

For the love of god dont get rid of it, if hes only seven hell be looking for it again in a years time. Box it and stick it in the atic...

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Don't get rid of it. Put it in the attic.

He's only 7. Very young to have lost interest.
    Has something else replaced his interest in lego?

There are lots of Lego movies on the way so he's bound to want to play with it again once he sees those.

Advertisement