Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to Gaming (General) rules - PC vs Console

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

+1
    Went looking to see what people are making of Batman AK, there's nothing but graphics cards, processors and FPS talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Solutions to the problem

I'm pretty much in agreement Ropedrink. If the users seem happy with that, we'll make it happen & get back to business :)

Are there any arguments against this slight policy change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 BenHK

Could you also move Destiny to Popular Games? And take Halo out of The Attic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

BenHK wrote: »
    Could you also move Destiny to Popular Games? And take Halo out of The Attic.....

Hearthstone could probably go there too? its an 85 page thread. +1 on Halo out of the attic, specially seeing as theres another one out in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

RopeDrink wrote: »
    PC Gaming: Discussing gaming via PC's.

To cut 'general chat' out of this wouldn't be discussing "PC Gaming", it'd be discussing "PC Tech via Gaming". General chat is going to happen - why? Because it's a location suiting to those with their own PC experiences (and problems) - and it gets people talking. This should be facilitated, not cut out (which would alienate specific groups), provided people on the PC Forum are made aware that General Chat also exists on the main forum of which they should consider contributing to if what they wish to contribute doesn't apply specifically to PC only.

Totally agree. The need for PC specific threads goes way beyond the technical chat of launch week - there's modding to consider, acknowledgement of staggered release dates (GTA being a prime example) etc. I wouldn't fancy sifting through all that if I were a PS or XB gamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Could you also move Destiny to Popular Games?

Big Can of Worms Inbound :pac:

Hearthstone could probably go there too? its an 85 page thread. +1 on Halo out of the attic, specially seeing as theres another one out in a few months.

Destiny & Hearthstone are threads, meaning they need a parent forum to live in. Popular Games is a container (not a forum), which houses forums of active and popular games. To move Destiny for example to Popular Games, there would need to be a Destiny forum for example.

The Attic, is a container within Popular Games for old, dead, very quite forums. Halo, has posts going back over 2 years on the front page alone...it's pretty quiet (before The Attic was created we were all set to retire Halo!). How we'll work it is, when the new Halo games comes out, and if traffic & posts in the Halo forum rise significantly, we'll by all means take it out of the attic & give it a spot in Popular Games. But for now, this forum here has more posts about Halo in it than the Halo forum does.

Myrddin wrote: »
    To move Destiny for example to Popular Games, there would need to be a Destiny forum for example.

Can the mods provide some behind the scenes figures on whether Destiny as a Thread is getting enough traffic to warrant it's own Sub-Forum?

Like views per hour, or "thanks" issued, or average posts per day or something and see if that is greater or less than say... the whole of the Battlefield forum...

That would kind of answer the question once and for all.

When we called for a Sub-Forum initially we were met with a resounding NO
    With the reasoning being that the game would be dead and buried in 6 months.... that's clearly not the case.

Baring in mind Destiny is now on it's 2nd Thread after hitting the 10k Post Max
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881390&page=668

Cormac... wrote: »
    Can the mods provide some behind the scenes figures on whether Destiny as a Thread is getting enough traffic to warrant it's own Sub-Forum?

Like views per hour, or "thanks" issued, or average posts per day or something and see if that is greater or less than say... the whole of the Battlefield forum...

That would kind of answer the question once and for all.

When we called for a Sub-Forum initially we were met with a resounding NO
    With the reasoning being that the game would be dead and buried in 6 months.... that's clearly not the case.

Baring in mind Destiny is now on it's 2nd Thread after hitting the 10k Post Max
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881390&page=668

I don't want to get bogged down in this at the mo as it's off topic, & the priority here is the PC Gaming issue. What I will say about Destiny though, is that it filled a thread with 10k posts & as such had to be locked, & the new thread is already at over 4k posts. Traffic for Destiny seems high, well after release. I had a quick look at the forum request for it there, & a lot of the concern was for it being dead a few months after release, which isn't the case today.

I'm still not sure if a full on forum would survive, forums dedicated to individual games tend rarely last very long (from experience). However, there might be scope in putting together another request now that we're a year on?

Anyway, back to the PC Gaming thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

This isn't the thread to be looking for a Destiny forum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 BenHK

tok9 wrote: »

I'm not asking for a Destiny forum. I don't even play the game. But it's as clear as day that it's a popular title with a big community around it and not just in Ireland but around the world. In fact I've just looked now and it receives greater traffic than the dedicated Battlefield and COD forums combined! We wouldn't want COD threads or BF threads clogging up the main board so why is Destiny okay?

Myrddin wrote: »
    I don't want to get bogged down in this at the mo as it's off topic, & the priority here is the PC Gaming issue

Valid point
    tok9 wrote: »

Yeah, I got that from Myrddins post
    We wouldn't want COD threads or BF threads clogging up the main board so why is Destiny okay?

There's a specific thread about giving it it's own forum here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057451164

As said above, this isn't about Destiny.... sure it's not even on PC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Batman thread is an example of why we need format subforums. You have severe issues (and severe they are, even as someone not all that bothered about performance it sounds like an absolute farce) affecting one particular platform, and it needs its own space apart from the more general discussion of the game. Frankly, if I had the opportunity this morning I would have moved those posts in the PC Gaming direction. Those forums are perfect for format specific discussion, whether that's technical issues, bargains or multiplayer organisation.

That said, I'm also the strongest proponent you'll find of keeping general gaming the way it is, and not just because I'm a mod of it :pac: As both a PS mod and user before it was agreed that most/all of the discussion about the content of the games themselves was to be focused here, I'm going to be honest and say the category was a hot mess. There were multiple threads for every game, and no logic about where a particular thread belonged. At best it was repetitive, at worst it was super confusing and causing unnecessary splits on the community. I think it's a good thing to have a clear dividing line about what goes where - if we need to work on making that clearer, so be it. So for individual games, be they exclusive or multiformat, I think it's important that the core threads are allowed here, until they outgrow it or splinter off in different directions. (Brief aside: we're always going to have to tolerate some amount of format specific discussion in a general thread, but unless it's genuinely a big deal like the Batman stuff this morning it's rarely more bothersome than something you simply scroll past if it's not of interest)

Perhaps I'm being idealistic, but I believe once we get beyond all the format war guff we're talking about the same games. And wherever is possible or reasonable I think it's great we're having the main conversations about the content of the games themselves in one place.

PC Gaming is looking like an exception in several respects, and if that's the way it's evolving I definitely agree being more liberal with the scope should be encouraged. Last thing I'd want to do is try and neuter a forum that's trying to find its feet. But I don't think we should change what's working elsewhere - and trust me, the category as a whole is a lot better and more focused than it was even a year or so ago - for the sake of one forum. I don't think the console forums are lacking in community as is, anyway, if anything they're in a better position than they were when there was a free-for-all: lots of banter and general discussion tends to emerge organically in them anyway :)

Specifically in regards to 'PC vs console' discussion, or indeed the equally troublesome 'console vs console' discussion, if there's an appetite for a stricter control of that here I'm all for it. It's something I've been meaning to chat with the other mods about for a while, actually. We've taken a pretty hardline on 'console war' topics in the wake of the PS4 vs Xbox thread because it was a ****ing embarrassment to be perfectly frank, and the E3 thread was going that way too at times. And yeah I have to confess I have a serious issue with the 'PC master race / console peasant' 'gags' as well, because I feel they're beyond tired, immature and reliably toxic to friendly discussion. Nothing new ever emerges form the topics, and it descends into bickering without fail. So if you want myself and retr0 to have a chat about how we can deal with fanboyism in any of its guises, that's absolutely something I'm open to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm assuming the game discussion threads that exist in PC Gaming are ok? Something like Cities: Skylines for example, Sims 4 etc. Games that pretty much only exist on PC (and the genre only exists on it). No need for them to be in a general gaming forum imo as they only exist on one platform

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm assuming the game discussion threads that exist in PC Gaming are ok? Something like Cities: Skylines for example, Sims 4 etc. Games that pretty much only exist on PC (and the genre only exists on it). No need for them to be in a general gaming forum imo as they only exist on one platform

This is a sticking point. By the above logic, we would be moving the likes of the Uncharted 4 thread out of this forum & into the PS forum (which of course isn't going to happen). To cut a long story short, format exclusivity doesn't dictate where threads go. For the likes of Cities: Skylines etc, they could arguably go in either forum depending on the context of the thread. There isn't going to be an exact formula to this, and instead, we'll probably just adhere to common sense where possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bah missed my chance to laugh at the master race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Whats the problem in having a general place for gaming?

I dont mind if Xbox games get discussed here, because I still find it interesting to keep up with what happens in gaming.

Want to start a chat about XBox functionality though, take it to the Xbox forum.

If everything gets bundled off into seperate threads for PC, XBOX, PS4 to discuss the same game I'd probably lose interest and stop coming to this part of boards.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Whats the problem in having a general place for gaming?

I dont mind if Xbox games get discussed here, because I still find it interesting to keep up with what happens in gaming.

Want to start a chat about XBox functionality though, take it to the Xbox forum.

If everything gets bundled off into seperate threads for PC, XBOX, PS4 to discuss the same game I'd probably lose interest and stop coming to this part of boards.

That's essentially what we want - anything that is specific to a console/PC, regarding how it runs, looks, can be modded, should be kept entirely to the relevant forum. To go back to the example of the Batman thread - I'll be playing it on my PS4, so graphics cards et al won't be important to me, but I would like to know about the gameplay, the combat, the story, etc. that people have encountered so far. I'd have to wade through countless pages to find any discussion about this, because of the PC-related talk.

Now for discussion of exclusive titles, I guess it would make sense for these to be all moved to their specific forums. I'd have no issue with it and it would make a lot of sense, but would also make me wonder whether Gaming (General) should be renamed Cross-Platform Games, or somesuch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think BizzyC is dead center. If you started moving exclusive title discussion to platform categories it would kill off a lot of traffic. Just because you don't own a Playstation/Xbox/PC doesn't mean you aren't interested in titles appearing on that platform, 'Gaming General' is a one-stop-shop for all things gaming. That's the way it should be.

The PC issue was easily and simply solved by just making a separate thread in the PC Gaming forum - issue solved, it doesn't require drastic levels of analytic over-thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think BizzyC is dead center. If you started moving exclusive title discussion to platform categories it would kill off a lot of traffic. Just because you don't own a Playstation/Xbox/PC doesn't mean you aren't interested in titles appearing on that platform, 'Gaming General' is a one-stop-shop for all things gaming. That's the way it should be.

The PC issue was easily and simply solved by just making a separate thread in the PC Gaming forum - issue solved, it doesn't require drastic levels of analytic over-thinking.

Exactly. All Games discussion in the Gaming (General) forum. Specific platform-related discussion which is only relevant to that platform in that platform forum (platforum™)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to make it clear there are no plans to change the way this forum or the console platforums (I dig!) work. PC Gaming is the only forum where there is currently any discussion about changing its scope. I'd strongly oppose any suggestion for unnecessary change elsewhere, which I for one feel will undo a lot of hard work and positive change from over the last few years. Unless a majority believe otherwise (and I get no sense whatsoever that is the case), then things will stay as normal, aside from myself and retr0 maybe been a bit more active in moving and separating format specific talk here.

Obviously if there is need for a separate thread about a game in a format forum for, say, technical issues or multiplayer-specific discussion then that remains and always has been perfectly fine and encouraged. There's also some leeway allowed for older titles or re releases that might get lost in general gaming.

That's where I would disagree personally. The number of titles exclusive to the PC is genuinely so few, that moving their threads to the PC Gaming forum would really have no impact on the Gaming (General) forum's traffic. However, it would give the fledgling PC Gaming forum a nice shot in the arm.

As for the "inconvenience" of giving non-PC playing readers an extra forum to visit just so they can read up on subjects they're interested in, it's literally one extra mouse click away. One! No more an inconvenience than visiting the console specific forums, game specific forums or genre specific forums.

I genuinely understand the apprehension of fragmenting the community or diluting the gaming content, and I also acknowledge that those of us who play exclusively on PC are in the minority. But from my perspective, being in this minority means having to trawl through a lot of console related content to find stuff relevant to me. Take the irrelevance to you (not you personally, TerrorFirmer) of the PC technical chat in the Arkham Knight thread, and the annoyance of having to read that when none of that conversation applies to you. That is how the entire Gaming (General) forum is to me.

Ok, we've taken the feedback from this thread into our behind the scenes talk & have come to an agreement with where we're going with all of this. It's quite a simple set of solutions in the end really, & nothing that will negatively affect any avenue of the forums involved.

1) The whole 'pcmr v console peasants' thing is going to be actively moderated. For all of the reasons stated, it does nothing but get peoples hackles up - ultimately derailing threads, causing rifts, and generally creates a never ending cycle of arguing that we can all do without having to read through. So if you see examples of this going on, report the posts rather than engage them as Johnny_Ultimate and Retr0gamer have requested, they'll then happily handle it from there when they can.

2) Technical chat related to pc's and consoles alike, will now be actively moved to more relevant forums (PC Gaming, Xbox, PS & Nintendo). The PC Arkham Knight thread is a shining example of how this will all work. This serves to keep the threads in this Gaming (General) forum, purely about the games themselves. Technical chat is housed better elsewhere, so we're going to utilise such going forward.

3) PC Gaming will be formally allowed to have it's own games related threads, as it has done since last year. These threads will give a home to technical issues as detailed above, but will also allow general chat to foster too if required. Such general chat comes naturally anyway from forum regulars and the like, helps build and grow forums, sews seeds of community development, and as we've already seen, is a good thing that hasn't affected this forum in any way over the last few months anyway.

So that's essentially it, simple, but effective. Thank you all very much for your feedback, at the end of the day, the goal here is to make things better for you - the users, so hopefully these few little changes will do just that :)

Will blatant PCMR b**s**t/trolling be an infraction/cardable offence?

I'll let JU & Retr0 take it from here as it's their forum, I just wanted to update you on the slight policy change decided upon :)

One would hope that all blatant b**s**t/trolling would be dealt with, no matter what format the offender plays on. ;)

The exact mechanisms are still being worked out, but suffice to say 'fanboy' nonsense of either a console or PC sort will not be welcome here anymore. When the exact rules are worked out we will let you know, but fair to say they'll be deleted at a bare minimum. If one must wage war against Xbox owners or use the phrase 'console peasants', it's not like there aren't many other parts of the Internet that will welcome you. It won't be this part though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cards would be harsh for a first offence I think, it'd be a bit mad to throw out red and yellows immediately for it. Sure a yellow if someone says it twice and red for every occurrence after would be fair.

People are going to be making a conscious effort to stop using the term here, a no tolerance policy is probably not going to be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

People unironically using stuff like 'PS4/PC/XB masterrace' and people unironically getting upset about it. Is this for real?

• Advertisement

I wasn't saying people should get carded, just asking if they would :o

Advertisement