Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to Gaming (General) rules - PC vs Console

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's not get into the wildly fluctuating levels of irony and lack thereof in play whenever PCMR is mentioned. Think most uses are ironic and totally sincere at the very same time :pac: That zero punctuation lad has a lot to answer for.

But yeah, we're not going to be handing out bans and infractions like its nobody's business. And there'll definitely be if not a grace period then at least a while when we'll make the new stance as clear as we can without cards flying everywhere. Above all, I think it's only going to be a small minority of users who'll ever find themselves falling afoul of whatever new rule is introduced anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Totally agree with the OP, I think any and all discussion of how PC games run on a technical level and PC level stuff like modding should be confined to the PC forum and I say this as someone who is a doing most of their gaming on PC these days.

Think that this PC Master Race thing should be knocked on the head. No matter what context it's used in, it always seems to derail threads and start up bull****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think similarly there should be in place something about talking unsubstantiated BS about PC gaming as well. A lot of the time the whole PC debate kicks off when someone has a misinformed opinion about PC gaming being stupidly expensive and when some one corrects them in gets out of hand. Repeat offenders there really need to be dealt with just as harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Cards would be harsh for a first offence I think, it'd be a bit mad to throw out red and yellows immediately for it. Sure a yellow if someone says it twice and red for every occurrence after would be fair.

They're just cards, they're not bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They're just cards, they're not bans.

I'm aware, they stack up and in the case of a possible ban, it could be seen where you've 3 or 4 cards for using the term PCMR, which would stand against you.

Hypothetical and probably OTT from me but even still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Like any part if yhe life, gaming has its ugly head too. Problem becomes when people take it to serious or get offended easily.

I got ps4, xbox one, ps3, pc, ps vita and I had wii, wii u, 3ds. I love then all in each own way, even of some of them I don't own anymore.
    There are plenty Multiplatforms games and one or another platform issues will show it's ugly head. So far there is a luxury of having threads for same game, but in different platform sections. It's great and it can concentrate on issue had with one or another platform. In a way, I don't think that specific platform issues should be discussed in general games forum.

As for pc master race. I had dropped that joke more then I can remember, but a lot of people who get thick about it forget, that it was born as ironic joke and is used ( mostly, but as always, there will be dicks who do use it seriously ) as irony and tongue in a cheek way. If someone gets offended or upset by that joke and takes it word to word, then they should not be on Internet. There are more upsetting things out there.

Saying this, I really enjoyed my day off yesterday with Terraria and world of tanks on pc and then borderlands with bloodborne on ps4, to finishing it off a wee touch of forza on xbox one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So we've now implemented the changes mentioned in this thread. It took a little longer because we realised the existing charter was getting a bit outdated and unwieldy, so it was decided there was no better opportunity to go for a whole new updated charter to tidy things up :) (with all due respect to Sir Amp!)

Here's the wording for the whole format wars section:
    ‘Format war’ or ‘fanboy’ nonsense of any sort is not welcome here. That includes uses of phrases like ‘PC Master Race’, ‘console peasants’ or accusing people of being ‘fanboys’ / ‘fangirls’ / ‘fanpeople’ (just to be politically correct) of any particular hardware. The mods will take action against anybody trying to kick off a console flame war, and based on past experience we will lock any ‘PS4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U vs PC’ threads or any derivatives.

At the very least offending comments will be deleted. Clear attempts at trolling or repeat offenders will receive cards and potentially bans. ‘I was using it ironically’ is not an excuse - at the very least, it’s not a very good one.

I think that's as clear and fair as we can be on the issue!

The only other significant addition is having formalised the 'no list thread' rule, which had effectively been in place for years anyway. It will only effect threads that are basically just endless lists of titles or videos with no room for discussion. Stuff like Gaming Humour are exceptions of course!

As mentioned, we'll also be taking more efforts to move posts or threads that sway towards discussion of format-specific issue. Hopefully these changes will have addressed some of the concerns raised in this thread :)

Advertisement