Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan - Esker, Willsbrook park, Hillcrest?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

we are looking to buy a place and have been looking at Chapelizod which would be our favourite area (we are currently living there), but the high prices have led us to look at Lucan as well. We really like Lucan village and would love to be there, but the areas of Esker, Willsbrook park and Hillcrest just after the N4 have nice houses at reasonable prices. We don't know any of these areas, would anyone have anything to say about them?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I rented in Hillcrest and would have bought there if I could have found the right house.
    Loved living there-close to shops (Super Valu and Tesco), about a 20 minute walk to the village if you wanted to head out or get a better choice of buses.
    If kids and schools are a concern in the future, you are automatically in the catchment for Scoil Mhuire and St. Thomas/Scoil Aine (no waiting lists needed)

Solid well built houses (never heard a sound from the neighbours).Very settled estate so no trouble with teenagers.
    Love where I live now but loved Hillcrest

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swaywme

I live in Griffeen. I think its the perfect spot. School, Centra, Pharmacy, Primacare and few more shops are just around the corner. Bus service is very good. Its right in the middle of N7 and N4.

Griffeen has its own very active residents association. Most of the house are occupied by owners. Lots of green for kids to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I live nearby also. I really like the area and won't be moving. The only disadvantage is if you're commuting by car in getting out to the N4. I cycle to the city centre do is not a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jbombon

Thank you guys :-)
    what about the estate The Hollows near the village?

Saint Finian's is also an area I'd like your opinion on. We've seen a lovely little house on myhome.ie with tons of potential, but know nothing about the area and have read mixed reviews online...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jbombon wrote: »
    Thank you guys :-)
    what about the estate The Hollows near the village?

Its apartments/townhouses.
    The entire estate was in an Allsops auction earlier this year- and the purchaser is selling off the units individually.

Its immediately off the 12th Locke road- out of the village heading for the N4/Superquinn flyover.

They're nice- but you don't have the benefit of being in the village- or up at Supervalu- while you have to traverse the traffic- which can be a nightmare at peak times.

I'd suggest go to the viewing- and then visit in early morning and/or evening- to get a feel for the traffic.

These were built about 12-13 years ago- BERs probably D-E but well laid out and nicely decorated by the former owner.

Saint Finian's is also an area I'd like your opinion on. We've seen a lovely little house on myhome.ie with tons of potential, but know nothing about the area and have read mixed reviews online...

It has a bad reputation- though it has been gentrified (similarly you'll probably read that Arthur Griffith Park is rough and avoid- its not nearly as bad as it used be).

Thanks The_Conductor! You obviously know Lucan really well.
    To walk from St Finians' to the village you have to cross a park then take the pedestrian crossing above the N4... Do you know if the parks around St Finians' are safe at night?

Thanks The_Conductor! You obviously know Lucan really well.
    To walk from St Finians' to the village you have to cross a park then take the pedestrian crossing above the N4... Do you know if the parks around St Finians' are safe at night?

I live in the village itself (and grew up on the Clonee Road). I've never been around the St. Finians area in the evening (no cause to be)- so I can't really comment- but I haven't heard anything bad.

The whole area is very popular with Spanish/Italian teenagers who come over to learn English in the Summer- loads of them around at the moment. There were notes up in local shops (Supervalu/Superquinn and down in Centra in the Village) earlier in the year seeking host families in the area.

Advertisement