Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros Geal - Rahoon

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I'm just wondering what Ros Geal is like to live in. Does it have a lot of rented houses/families? What would it be like at night? Any anti-social behaviour?
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ros Geal is the Opus Dei run university accommodation. I've heard of people staying there and heard nothing too bad. Seems a bit OTT, with curfews and other childish things that university students should not have.

I dont think there's too strong a focus on the religious aspect, but everyone I knew who stayed there was that way inclined anyway so it might not have bothered them.

edit: website: http://www.rosgeal.org/#!about/c14qb

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DrShera

Hi Squeeonline, I didn't realise there were two Ros Geals! I'm talking about the housing estate across the road from Rahoon Cemetery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

DrShera wrote: »
    Hi Squeeonline, I didn't realise there were two Ros Geals! I'm talking about the housing estate across the road from Rahoon Cemetery.

Ha, I thought there was something funny about the way you asked the question if it was to do with student accommodation.

anyway, Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've got friends there. They haven't mentioned anything in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

I lived there about 10 years ago. No issues with anti social behaviour that all I recall. Had very bad damp though so watch out for that. We were in a ground floor apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I recall being advised when I went to UCG aeons ago to avoid two sorts of societies

1, Political - Young ( Whatever )

2, Religous societies.

Both sorts tended to keep after you to take part in activities etc

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Steer clear!

Eogclouder wrote: »
    Steer clear!

Why?

Eogclouder, we need better info than that if you're going to try to dissuade someone from moving to an are. Be detailed.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Eogclouder, we need better info than that if you're going to try to dissuade someone from moving to an are. Be detailed.

The current Girlfriend is American and she did a study abroad here last year for the 2nd semester. She met a hape of new students who were also doing it and one of them was staying there. They kept in touch throughout the year and she had loads of horror stories about the place. Crazy early curfews, strict rules, draconian management style. She was 22 and felt like she was a child at boarding school.

I also used to date a girl who's mother had a "friend" who was in there the whole time (dunno if she just knew people or helped run the place or what), she was trying to talk the ex into taking a purity ring (no sex before marriage ****e) and to become more involved with herself Opus Dei.

For me, it's not worth the hassle at all to live there when you can live somewhere else and not have the whole place being run religiously. It's hardly cheap either.

Each to their own, but from the stories I've heard it's not somewhere I'd want to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

A simple addition to the title of "Rahoon" would greatly help with the discourse in this thread.

A simple addition to the title of "Rahoon" would greatly help with the discourse in this thread.

I only just noticed this....disregard my previous post :D

I can't edit the title for some reason.

DrShera wrote: »
    I can't edit the title for some reason.

The mod might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Should that not be 'Knocknacarra'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The mods might do it.

200_s.gif

Should that not be 'Knocknacarra'?

Perhaps? No. Sure Ros Geal is opposite Rahoon Cemetery. Sure tis closer to Westside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Upper Knocknacarra.

Rahoon only exists as a cemetery, not as a place.

Any more.

According to some people.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Upper Knocknacarra.

Rahoon only exists as a cemetery, not as a place.

Any more.

According to some people.

:-)

And we were JUST starting to settle back into normality :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Whats the story with the big old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

DrShera wrote:
    Hi, I'm just wondering what Ros Geal is like to live in. Does it have a lot of rented houses/families? What would it be like at night? Any anti-social behaviour? Thanks.

Are you thinking of buying or renting? If I was moving into an area I would be asking myself about: Schools. Hospitals. Shopping. Would you be relying on public transport? Have a good observant walk around. Especially at the weekend at night. Take it all in.

Thread is from 2 years ago.
    I'll close this to avoid further confusion.

voz es, start a new thread with your question

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement