Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a Lease

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I moved in with a friend of mine about 7 months ago on a 12 month lease. I have just accepted a job in the United States and have had to break the lease and move out.
    I was just wondering if I am legally obligated to give my ex-flatmate his deposit money back if the landlord does not?

Any help on this would be great! Citizens information hasnt really helped :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

EmilyP wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved in with a friend of mine about 7 months ago on a 12 month lease. I have just accepted a job in the United States and have had to break the lease and move out.
    I was just wondering if I am legally obligated to give my ex-flatmate his deposit money back if the landlord does not?

Any help on this would be great! Citizens information hasnt really helped :/

These seem conflicting...are you both named on the lease or just one of you. If both, you are jointly and severally liable for the remainder of the rent. However, the landlord has to mitigate this by renting it out asap. COuld you get someone ot replace you that is suitable to your friend and/landlord. But to answer your question, I don't think you are legally obligated to pay deposit back to friend. Morally, now that is a completely different question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EmilyP

Hi thanks for replying,

Both of us are named on the lease. The Landlord has not asked for us to continue paying the rent, it seems he just wants to get new tenants in which is quite good on his part. We tried to get someone to move in with him but we couldn't so he is just moving out at the end of the month instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

EmilyP wrote: »
    Hi thanks for replying,

Both of us are named on the lease. The Landlord has not asked for us to continue paying the rent, it seems he just wants to get new tenants in which is quite good on his part. We tried to get someone to move in with him but we couldn't so he is just moving out at the end of the month instead.

In that case, the landlord should give back the deposit, minus any expenses taken to re-rent the property and any damage above wear and tear in the apartment. Take photos of everything in case there are issues. Hopefully you also took photos moving in to show as comparisons if any issues arise.

Good luck with the job in the States.

Advertisement