Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCL UCD or Maynooth

Options
  • 23-06-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I finished my leaving cert last week and want to do law next year. Wanted to go to Maynooth and have accommodation sorted, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm wondering if a degree from UCD would be considered more appealing to employers than a degree from Maynooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Honestly, I don’t think a degree from UCD would be more appealing to an employer than a degree from Maynooth. Many employers, generally speaking, just require a third level degree (normally in a particular area e.g Law, Science etc) and it doesn’t really matter what college you got this degree from. I think it would be very rare for an employer to hire someone based on the college they went to- it just wouldn't be a fair system. Employers should normally hire someone based on their personality, attitude, enthusiasm, work experience etc (provided they have the necessary degree requirements for that job). I suggest to do whatever course you prefer- You can always go onto the college websites and look at the type of modules you would be doing and that may give you a better idea of which course you prefer. In particular, for UCD, you can go onto “UCD Course Search” – click Law and then the course code for the one you are considering e.g DN600 and you will then get a list of modules. There is a heading called Stage 1 and it will have “core” written beneath it with a list of modules that you will be required to do for 1st year (i.e stage 1). If you click on any of these modules you will get a module description, an idea of how you will learn, how you will be assessed for this module, how many lectures you’ll have etc. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to find module descriptions for Maynooth or any other college/IT as I am a UCD student and so I am only aware with the UCD system but I’m sure if you email some of the staff or search the websites for other colleges you might find something similar. Course Search just gives you a better idea of a course than a college prospectus will because it describes all the individual core modules you will be taking rather than a brief overview of the entire course. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!! Good luck with your CAO :)

Advertisement