Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free running dogs on Lee Fields

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Nice. So, let's have the irresponsible dog owners of Cork have their mutts flying around a public area in breach of the law, and people's kids can **** right off somewhere else if they don't like it.

Pretty much!

In reality, I am saying that the place is well known for dogs. If you know your kids are naturally fearful then there are other places to be. It's like saying you were surprised at there being prostitutes in a red light area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nice. So, let's have the irresponsible dog owners of Cork have their mutts flying around a public area in breach of the law, and people's kids can **** right off somewhere else if they don't like it.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pretty much!

In reality, I am saying that the place is well known for dogs. If you know your kids are naturally fearful then there are other places to be. It's like saying you were surprised at there being prostitutes in a red light area...

So keep dogs on leads signs are simply to be ignored?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So keep dogs on leads signs are simply to be ignored?

I think common sense needs to prevail. If there is a lot of open space and not many people around, then yes I think they should be.

Just in the same way, if it's safe to do so - parking restrictions are often ignored or any other number of rules and by-laws are done when it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I think it depends on who is around. If there is no one around then I let my dog off the leash. However as we pass someone I make sure to put the leash on. If the place is busy or its not safe to let the dog off then the leash stays on. I think it's selfish to let your dog bother other people. When they are off the leash you have zero control. Everybody says their dog is perfect, would never harm anyone but the reality is dogs are animals.

My dog is really quiet but a nervous dog so I would never put him in a situation where he is frightened. Same as the op feels towards her children. I mean if the man apologised then that would have made the situation different but he laughed. I would be mortified if my dog frightened little children. There was a few years where I was afraid of dogs so I know what it feels like to be scared of dogs. It kinda ruins a nice leisurely walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

gimmick wrote: »
    I really hope the law abiding citizens of this thread never break a speed limit, have paid their household charge and property tax and are signed up for irish water.
    Tbh, that's different. None of these will affect children out walking.

Why would anyone want to diffuse the issue into "people do bad **** all the time". It just serves to make everyone feel hopeless when it's so easy to address the issue at hand, loose dogs at Lee fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Just in the same way, if it's safe to do so - parking restrictions are often ignored or any other number of rules and by-laws are done when it makes sense.

That's why this country is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mordeith wrote: »
    That's why this country is a joke

Pretty much, from top to bottom..."shur it'll be grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

wonka wrote: »
    Dogs need to be on a lead at all times when in a public place - END of.

I'm pretty sure (aside for by-laws of specific locations) the legislation states that a dog must be under effective control*. Effective control doesn't necessarily mean a lease. A dog with good recall, is under effective control.

RBL and specific locations being the exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

By right, what the council should provide is an actual enclosed space where owners can take their dogs and have them off the lead, without fear that they will bother anyone, adult or child. But they don't.

I'm all for respecting the rules but if I lived in Ireland, I just wouldn't keep a dog unless I had a place with a huge garden because it's just completely unfriendly when it comes to our four legged buddies. It would break my heart if she couldn't have a bit of freedom on a regular basis. I honestly wasn't happy to do it when we were in Cork because there is too much risk. Roads, other dogs etc etc. She's just not used to the dangers there so I had to be more careful.

These are things that you have to think about as a dog owner. People with kids can take them anywhere. Shops, restaurants, into town- doesn't matter how well or badly behaved they are going to be, nobody can tell you that you can't do it. There are very few places where you're going to be subjected to dogs and if you want to avoid them you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

biko wrote: »
    But do talk to the council abut free running dogs on the streets, every cause needs a champion.

If the council nabbed a few it'd spread word to the other owners.

Thing is if you do this, there is a possibility that the (possibly harmless) dogs will end up in the shelter where they will be euthanized if not adopted. Obviously I would prefer if the owner kept them in and just walked them like they're supposed to do but if they're not bothering anyone and are well fed and looked after I'm not going to call the warden to take it to certain death, am I?

By right, what the council should provide is an actual enclosed space where owners can take their dogs and have them off the lead, without fear that they will bother anyone, adult or child. But they don't.

This I agree with. If every dog owner paid their license and the powers that be put this into providing dog parks then it'd all be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

darkdubh wrote: »
    You could keep your little darlings on a lead.

You obviously think more of dogs than children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

You obviously think more of dogs than children

Surely that's fair enough. Not everyone likes children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Spot on. In almost every other first world country I've been in, there are dog beaches, dog parks, dog play zones. Nothing here.

I absolutely love dogs, but I won't get one here, because I don't like pissing others off for my own selfish sake. There are no canine amenities, and I'm not going to lock a dog up only to have it barking away in loneliness for days on end while I go to work.

And like it's a big shocker... I don't speed, chuck litter about or park illegally. I pay my taxes and am generally a socially responsible frikken grown-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Surely that's fair enough. Not everyone likes children.

You don't have to like people to value them and treat them with respect. If you can't see the difference in how you treat children to animals then I really feel sorry for you. Would you want all children put in the hold of a plane in a cage for journeys also? Some people would probably answer yes to that in here but I would like to see them suggest it in a face to face situation rather than on a random internet forum or try it in reality and see how they get on.

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, that's different. None of these will affect children out walking.

Why would anyone want to diffuse the issue into "people do bad **** all the time". It just serves to make everyone feel hopeless when it's so easy to address the issue at hand, loose dogs at Lee fields.

Breaking the speed limit I'm pretty sure could affect children out walking

Ludo wrote: »
    You don't have to like people to value them and treat them with respect. If you can't see the difference in how you treat children to animals then I really feel sorry for you. Would you want all children put in the hold of a plane in a cage for journeys also? Some people would probably answer yes to that in here but I would like to see them suggest it in a face to face situation rather than on a random internet forum or try it in reality and see how they get on.

Conversely, you don't have to like dogs to value them them and treat them with respect. 90% of dogs are trained and just want to play with their owners. Their owners also want to make sure that they dogs get proper exercise AND enjoy their lives without harming anyone

I actually would like kid only sections on planes, or at least "family friendly" sections where those of us without can enjoy our trip in peace. The last 3 flights I've had kids kicking the back of my seat. And yes, that is down to bad parenting and #notallparents #notallkids but the same goes for dogs. Not all dogs are going to harm little Johnny.

I'm pretty sure (aside for by-laws of specific locations) the legislation states that a dog must be under effective control*. Effective control doesn't necessarily mean a lease. A dog with good recall, is under effective control.

RBL and specific locations being the exceptions

The bye law in Cork city is that the dog must be on a lead in public open spaces and must not be an annoyance to any person.

The bye law in Cork city is that the dog must be on a lead in public open spaces and must not be an annoyance to any person.

True
    But the same bylaws prohibit riding a bike unless on a specific bike lane, fishing in a park, swim in the rivers in park property, play soccer or lash a sliotar back and forth.

How many of those laws do you see broken every day in each of the city parks?

Source: http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/cemeteries/Parks%20Open%20Spaces%20and%20Cemeteries%20Bye%20Laws%202011.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Conversely, you don't have to like dogs to value them them and treat them with respect.

Couldn't agree more...just that people always come first and saying put a child on a lead like an animal is just a stupid thing to say but sure sounds good in the auld internet to get the thanks.

True
    But the same bylaws prohibit riding a bike unless on a specific bike lane, fishing in a park, swim in the rivers in park property, play soccer or lash a sliotar back and forth.

Source: http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/cemeteries/Parks%20Open%20Spaces%20and%20Cemeteries%20Bye%20Laws%202011.pdf

Hardly an excuse. "Shur everyone else is doing it". Until people take personal responsibility for their own actions these kinds of arguments will continue (be it dogs on leads, cycling on footpaths or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The first step with this is to contact the dog warden. They have a working definition of what under effective control but in this case if there are by laws requiring a lead then they don't need to see the dog out of control jus off the lead where the dog owner will be fined and/or produce a dog licence. If the offender has a history the warden may end up taking the dog.
    That's the stance on the law, all that is required is someone to inform the warden. As far as the other by laws, if they're annoying you report them to the correct people

mordeith wrote: »
    Hardly an excuse. "Shur everyone else is doing it". Until people take personal responsibility for their own actions these kinds of arguments will continue (be it dogs on leads, cycling on footpaths or whatever)

It isn't an excuse, but we need to wring our hands and panic about EVERY law being broken for the public good, not just the ones that have <1% of hurting little Johnny

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

That's been used already. Try to be original in your sarcasm at least

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

I was walking along the Lee Fields the other day with my very young boys and this little dog came up barking at them. Two of my boys are afraid of dogs due to bad experiences with dogs when they were younger (again these dogs weren't on leashes).

There are several signs on the Lee Fields that say that dogs should be on leads all the time but looking around there are many dogs that aren't.

When I told the dog owner his dog should be on a lead he just laughed.

I can understand that people want to exercise their dogs but imo they shouldn't do it in a public area where there are signs up that say that dogs should be on leads all the time.

I swear that the next time a dog frightens my children I will either kick the dog in the head or throw the owner in the river. :eek:

Thoughts please.....

Report the incident and the owner to the police.

True

Are you suggesting because some fella is kicking a ball around the park or fishing that it's ok for dogs to be let loose?

Are you suggesting because some fella is kicking a ball around the park or fishing that it's ok for dogs to be let loose?

yep. What if the ball was to hit someone on the head, or the hook from a fishing rod affected someone passing by. You simply can't be too careful with health and safe-ty.

I am of course being facetious and think that as long as the dog is under control they should be allowed frolic, just in the same way people should be able to kick a ball about or fish. There is the possibility of danger and risk everywhere if you look hard enough, and if the council have it in a bylaw they must have reason to do so. A bit of common sense needs to be used

What I am saying is that if you are so worried about one part of the law being followed, you should be equally worried about the rest of it as well - not just the bits you agree with.

yep. What if the ball was to hit someone on the head, or the hook from a fishing rod affected someone passing by. You simply can't be too careful with health and safe-ty.

I am of course being facetious and think that as long as the dog is under control they should be allowed frolic, just in the same way people should be able to kick a ball about or fish. There is the possibility of danger and risk everywhere if you look hard enough, and if the council have it in a bylaw they must have reason to do so. A bit of common sense needs to be used

What I am saying is that if you are so worried about one part of the law being followed, you should be equally worried about the rest of it as well - not just the bits you agree with.

Which I'm sure he would be if the OP had been complaining about football. But they weren't. It was about dogs off leads in a place they're not supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just back from the Lee Fields. My dog was off the lead. Some child ran up to him at one stage. My dog isn't too fond of children so he just turned and went away. I said to the child's owner that it should be under more control. Threw her eyes up to heaven and walked on letting her child terrorise all the other dogs.

*truth may have been stretched a tad.

Advertisement