Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free running dogs on Lee Fields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

gimmick wrote: »
    Just back from the Lee Fields. My dog was off the lead. Some child ran up to him at one stage. My dog isn't too fond of children so he just turned and went away. I said to the child's owner that it should be under more control. Threw her eyes up to heaven and walked on letting her child terrorise all the other dogs.

*truth may have been stretched a tad.

She should have read the signs saying children should be leashed .... oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Just back from the Lee Fields. My dog was off the lead. Some child ran up to him at one stage. My dog isn't too fond of children so he just turned and went away. I said to the child's owner that it should be under more control. Threw her eyes up to heaven and walked on letting her child terrorise all the other dogs.

*truth may have been stretched a tad.

I hope you didn't hear anyone utter profane or obscene language. It's against the rules. If you did...I hope you reported them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That's only Waterford!!

Point is there shouldn't have to be signs for responsible parents to look after their kids. Had my dog reacted he would be the blamed one not the little prat who went at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

Being a dog owner all my life I no wat temperment each dog has and some are grand to b left off a lead and somee arnt.personally if my dog ran up to kids and started barking or being agrresive I would happily kick it in d face myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

the block wrote: »
    Being a dog owner all my life I no wat temperment each dog has and some are grand to b left off a lead and somee arnt.personally if my dog ran up to kids and started barking or being agrresive I would happily kick it in d face myself.

Exactly. Some dogs have a good temperament. However some dogs don't. I hate dogs who come up barking and being aggressive to me or my dog. Especially when they are not on a leash. I don't trust owners when they say their dogs won't do any harm. I judge myself. Some dogs are cheeky little things. And dogs are unpredictable. Many people including adults and children dislike dogs.

My dog goes crazy when he sees a ball. If he sees someone with a ball he will go running after it. Therefore I know that a leash is best for him.

• Advertisement

the block wrote: »

Yup. If my fella went over bothering people he would be well scolded and put back on the lead. Luckily this hasn't come up ever.

That's only Waterford!!

Point is there shouldn't have to be signs for responsible parents to look after their kids. Had my dog reacted he would be the blamed one not the little prat who went at him.

Hey, if a kid goes up to a leashed dog uninvited then it's the parents responsibility, no question. I have two boys. The older guy doesn't like dogs. The younger guy loves em. He'll always try and grab a tail. I pull him away and divert him cos the dog, understandably, might not appreciate that. If the dog is unleashed however and wanders up, well that's a different story.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Exactly. Some dogs have a good temperament. However some dogs don't. I hate dogs who come up barking and being aggressive to me or my dog. Especially when they are not on a leash. I don't trust owners when they say their dogs won't do any harm. I judge myself. Some dogs are cheeky little things. And dogs are unpredictable. Many people including adults and children dislike dogs.

My dog goes crazy when he sees a ball. If he sees someone with a ball he will go running after it. Therefore I know that a leash is best for him.

Exactly . finally someone with a bit of sense. At least u have d cop on to keep the dog on a leash if thats the way it is nothing worse than chasing the dog around a park while it ruins someones game of ball with half the place laughing at ye ha.i see people leaving dogs off leads and and the dogs automatically become stone deaf and make a serious plonker out of the owner

Yup. If my fella went over bothering people he would be well scolded and put back on the lead. Luckily this hasn't come up ever.

Its not worth the hassle leaving dogs off if they wont listen. I have 3 at the moment.2 of them will come d min I whistle no matter whats goin on. straight across the field and wait for the lead to go on the other one is an absolute nightmare ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Kalman wrote: »
    Report the incident and the owner to the police.

• Advertisement

It happened about 5 years ago and I was too busy attending to my boy to see where the mutt went.

Yesterday you said it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Sorry, edited above post. Glove incident happened about 5 years ago. Other incident very recently.

Sorry, edited above post. Glove incident happened about 5 years ago. Other incident very recently.

A hurl In d hand is better than no hurl to hand. Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

gimmick wrote:

As a matter of interest did you pick up the sh1t from your dog, or just leave there? Dogs should be on there leads til the end of the paved path. The fields beyond take the dog off his lead.

Dob74 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest did you pick up the sh1t from your dog, or just leave there? Dogs should be on there leads til the end of the paved path. The fields beyond take the dog off his lead.

Yup. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

That's only Waterford!!

no, you would be blamed.

But why should I/my dog be blamed for a parent not keeping their child under control?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

But why should I/my dog be blamed for a parent not keeping their child under control?

If your dog hurt the child while off the lead then it's not under control off the lead. If the child goes at the dog under any circumstances it's bad form but you're going to lose if you want a humans vs dogs argument.

My dog has good recall but unless I'm in a space where I can be totally in control without the lead, she's not going to be off the lead. When I see children I'm on my guard because if they do something to her that she's not expecting, then she might do something that I'm not expecting. Kids are unpredictable little f*ckers and I'm not going to put her in a position where she'll hurt a child and lose her life, just to test my own authority over her.

Again, fully aware of that and I try and lead my dog dog up when I see some kids around.

What I am arguing is the utter blinkered view of many people here who simply seem to think that it is always the dogs/owners fault while not taking responsibility for their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Again, fully aware of that and I try and lead my dog dog up when I see some kids around.

What I am arguing is the utter blinkered view of many people here who simply seem to think that it is always the dogs/owners fault while not taking responsibility for their own actions.

Of course it's the dog owner's responsibility. The dog doesn't know the law. The owner does. The dog is supposed to be on the leash in that park.

What actions is the person without a dog, supposed to be taking responsibility for? It's not their dog. It's not their leash. They are breaking no laws.

The onus is entirely on the dog owner. No question of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Who are those "many people" here? Haven't seen anyone say that kids should be allowed roam up to random leashed dogs and mess with/annoy them ..or did I miss those posts?

What is your point here? You invent a hypothetical situation in the hope of proving a point...when no-one actually disagrees with you, you then go on to make out many people did. Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions. Two wrongs don't make a right etc etc.

And anyway it is not just kids. I have a good friend in his forties who is comically (to me not him) afraid of dogs and one who is slightly afraid of them. If a dog comes up to them they get pretty bothered by it and are entitled to walk in a park without having to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I know what you mean and it is unfair. One time my dog was in the boot of my car. I was putting the lead on him when a little child about 4 or 5 wandered over to me. My dog was very scared and cowered in the corner of the boot. The child was coming closer to the dog and he jumped out of one side of the boot. He was on the leash at this stage. I was saying oh he's a very shy and quiet dog. And to not try and touch him. My dog then was trying to get away from the child. He went between my car and the car beside me. The little child followed me again. His idiot parents just looking. We were literally cornered by this little kid. My dog was visibly scared. And he's a big dog. What kind of parent let's their young child near a random scared dog. Dogs are unpredictable especially when they are scared. If anything had happened whose fault would it be. Next time I'm just going to be more firm with the parents.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I know what you mean and it is unfair. One time my dog was in the boot of my car. I was putting the lead on him when a little child about 4 or 5 wandered over to me. My dog was very scared and cowered in the corner of the boot. The child was coming closer to the dog and he jumped out of one side of the boot. He was on the leash at this stage. I was saying oh he's a very shy and quiet dog. And to not try and touch him. My dog then was trying to get away from the child. He went between my car and the car beside me. The little child followed me again. His idiot parents just looking. We were literally cornered by this little kid. My dog was visibly scared. And he's a big dog. What kind of parent let's their young child near a random scared dog. Dogs are unpredictable especially when they are scared. If anything had happened whose fault would it be. Next time I'm just going to be more firm with the parents.

Ya, our friends have just had their first and at two months their border collie is only just about getting over it. She's been hiding under a table the whole time. It's strange to us but I think some people just expect dogs to "know" everything. She's terrified of small humans, especially when they're making noise.

Ya, our friends have just had their first and at two months their border collie is only just about getting over it. She's been hiding under a table the whole time. It's strange to us but I think some people just expect dogs to "know" everything. She's terrified of small humans, especially when they're making noise.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. What happens when the baby starts crawling after a frightened collie?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mordeith wrote: »
    Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. What happens when the baby starts crawling after a frightened collie?

Collie ends up in Cats and Dogs home?

mordeith wrote: »

They've been training her since before the baby came along. As of last week she's sniffing baby's feet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

because your dog should be on a lead...you should read your own signature ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

biko wrote: »
    We're not talking about the streets now, we're talking about a specific location with signage.
    But do talk to the council abut free running dogs on the streets, every cause needs a champion.

If the council nabbed a few it'd spread word to the other owners.

Story happens over and over and over again all around Cork, persons dog attacked by some other dogs that are off the lead, they try the Dog Warden, dog warden says their busy. They call the Gardai, they say its not their problem.

For a dog running around off the lead which belongs to someone and hasn't caused harm to a human, the dog warden isn't going to get into his white van, stick on some blue lights and tear out to the location.

Outside the City, if a Farmer sees your dog running off the lead in or around his land he'll go in to get his shotgun.

The problem in Ireland is they try to control things with crazy laws they can never realistically enforce.

In other countries they put in amenities so people don't have to break the law to do something that is essentially harmless.

You could apply the same logic to graffiti artists, they put in the Graffiti wall on White Street in the City and people started painting their graffiti there instead of doing it in other places.

End of the day you can say "You shouldn't do that"

In reality people will do it anyway so you should provide a space for them to do it as its proven to be more effective from a social perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Outside the City, if a Farmer sees your dog running off the lead in or around his land he'll go in to get his shotgun.

According to the law the farmer should have reasonable grounds to believe that the dog is about to harm livestock before 'taking it out', in reality I don't think that unless the owner happens to be there when it happens it would hardly be disputed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Story happens over and over and over again all around Cork, persons dog attacked by some other dogs that are off the lead, they try the Dog Warden, dog warden says their busy. They call the Gardai, they say its not their problem.

For a dog running around off the lead which belongs to someone and hasn't caused harm to a human, the dog warden isn't going to get into his white van, stick on some blue lights and tear out to the location.

The problem in Ireland is they try to control things with crazy laws they can never realistically enforce.

In other countries they put in amenities so people don't have to break the law to do something that is essentially harmless.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/three-flocks-of-sheep-savaged-by-roaming-dogs-in-48-hour-period-30977910.html
    essentially harmless?

Advertisement